• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Driving Ambition NSX's Invading Infineon Raceway

Thanks for posting video - It's amazing to see what these cars can do.
Keep 'em coming - subscribed

Was your car running some old R-comps that were heat cycled out?
I ran Friday on my old Toyos which have 30+ heat cycles on them. They drive like a pig on ice, but I was still able to run 4sec. quicker on those same tires than last May (pre-CTSC). 1:56-1:52. Yes, I had a passenger with me. It was his first time on a race track and I promised him I'd keep it under 8/10ths.
IIRC you were doing 1:52's with your stock engine and the HoHo's during the Speedventures/TracMasters track day a couple of months back.
I saved my Hoosiers for Saturday as I knew the competition would be much stiffer. Even though they are heat cycled out I was still able to coax a 1:49 out of them while chasing a couple of Panoz, which is a 3sec. improvement. 1:49-1:52
Any planned suspension or LSD mods to make the best use of the additional HP?
All in good time, my impatient little Monday morning quarterback.

I don't claim to be Dan Gurney, but every time I roll onto the track I go faster than the last time. Isn't that what its all about? Focus on your own line and curb the tude, dude.

I keep looking for your Caymen out there. Why do you run in the slow(er) group? Why don't you get out of the kiddy pool and play with the adults?
I'd really enjoy chasing you :cool:

I ran Friday on my old Toyos which have 30+ heat cycles on them. They drive like a pig on ice, but I was still able to run 4sec. quicker on those same tires than last May (pre-CTSC). 1:56-1:52. Yes, I had a passenger with me. It was his first time on a race track and I promised him I'd keep it under 8/10ths.

Figured that your car was on some old tires, the car looked loose and it was clear that your car wasn't putting the power down coming out of T11 given how much the Turbo NSX was pulling in that particular section of the track.

So were you able to scare the living daylights out of the passenger :D? Or were you able to get him/her started on the slippery slope ;)?

1K2GO said:
I saved my Hoosiers for Saturday as I knew the competition would be much stiffer. Even though they are heat cycled out I was still able to coax a 1:49 out of them while chasing a couple of Panoz, which is a 3sec. improvement. 1:49-1:52

1:49's with old HoHo's is pretty good, seems like 1:46 ~ 1:45 should be possible with a new set.

1K2GO said:
All in good time, my impatient little Monday morning quarterback.

I don't claim to be Dan Gurney, but every time I roll onto the track I go faster than the last time. Isn't that what its all about? Focus on your own line and curb the tude, dude.

Just giving a bit of feedback based on my own experience tracking the NSX and other MR cars for the last 10 years, just asking the same set of questions that anyone else who is familiar with tracking the NSX would ask.

Given your 20+ yeas of track experience, the nut behind the wheels is not the problem, that only leaves possible deficiencies in the underlying hardware.

1K2GO said:
I keep looking for your Caymen out there. Why do you run in the slow(er) group? Why don't you get out of the kiddy pool and play with the adults?
I'd really enjoy chasing you :cool:

Haha, maybe it's because you are looking for my car in the Race Group, my Cayman is still running the Porsche Cayman R OEM dampers and springs, no roll bar, no racing seats or harness.

In order to run in the race group I'll have to spend another $14K. $2.5K on race bucket seats/sliders, $3K on the roll bar, $8.5K on a set of MCS (Motion Control) double adjustable race grade shocks with all the associated mounting hardware/springs/helper springs/etc plus installation. Haven't pulled the trigger since I'm still waiting for MCS to finish development on their new line of dampers/shocks. When they are done, everything will go in at once, probably still a few months out based on what I've heard from Lex at MCS.

For the time being I'm happy dicing it out in the Advanced Group (as long as they are real Advanced Groups instead of the Mickey Mouse, pretend advanced group that HOD and some other organizations run). Speedventures, TMR, NCRC, GGLC, CFRA, are ok, since they enforce the rules of keeping out moving chicanes out of the advanced run groups.

I've run with race cars before on my NSX, sometimes dealing with cars that had ridiculous closing speeds that were hard to see (Radical's, Stohr's, all kind of flavors of Formula Cars) was a bit of a challenge as well as having to deal with the multitude of coolant leaks, oil leaks, blown engines, etc was not really that much fun on a street car with no roll cage running street tires. (Reasons why I stopped tracking with Green Flag Racing, Shelby Club, NASA a long time ago, really enthusiastic set of folks but somehow their cars were more likely to drop oil/coolant/break down)

BTW: The only way that you would end up chasing my Cayman R would be if you decided to not run the SCer on your NSX :p, otherwise I would just be seeing small puffs of smoke as your NSX speeds away into the distance on the straight or straight like portions of the track :D

Thats a much nicer and friendlier reply, thank you. Some of your posts can come across as snarky & know-it-allish. Perhaps the smilies help :biggrin:
So were you able to scare the living daylights out of the passenger :D? Or were you able to get him/her started on the slippery slope ;)?
He was pretty wobbly for the rest of the day and wasn't very enthusiastic when I offered him another ride on Saturday, especially with the Shelby guys :redface:
1:49's with old HoHo's is pretty good, seems like 1:46 ~ 1:45 should be possible with a new set.
I'm getting a lot of wheel spin with my stock LSD. I think with fresh rubber, the right ratios and an OS Giken, she's a 1:45/46 car.
Haha, maybe it's because you are looking for my car in the Race Group, my Cayman is still running the Porsche Cayman R OEM dampers and springs, no roll bar, no racing seats or harness.
In order to run in the race group I'll have to spend another $14K. $2.5K on race bucket seats/sliders, $3K on the roll bar, $8.5K on a set of MCS (Motion Control) double adjustable race grade shocks with all the associated mounting hardware/springs/helper springs/etc plus installation. Haven't pulled the trigger since I'm still waiting for MCS to finish development on their new line of dampers/shocks. When they are done, everything will go in at once, probably still a few months out based on what I've heard from Lex at MCS.
I don't have a roll cage or bar, just a harness bar and 6pt harnesses and they all let me run in Race Prep. The Shelby club demands a cage but they gave me a pass. Every other club including NASA & TM allow me to run in Race Prep with no cage.
For the time being I'm happy dicing it out in the Advanced Group
Install a harness and come play with the big dogs. Back when I was racing IMSA GTU/SCCA SP, my mentor and coach was Dennis Aase, he used to tell me: "Define your goals and only race against the fastest and the best. Thats the way YOU get faster. When there's no one quicker, come see me again". 30 years later, he's still waiting for my call :wink:

One of my favorite quotes from my old mentor, Dennis Aase:

"Line up behind the undisputed fastest guy in the field and give him a poke"

Thats the fastest way to get faster... (btw, he's not swimming in the kiddy pool):tongue:

If thats you, its time to level up.
DSC00228-9.jpg

Last edited:
Back