• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Driving in the rain - Do You Feel It ?

MvM, my car has stock tyres and stock springs/shocks.
And it is wonderful to drive in the rain.
Niet zo gezellig als in de regen bij jou, maar even nat!
In slow roundabouts the car understeers slightly, but for the rest, spelen in de regen!

Stock or wider tyres gives a very important difference in handling. Wider tyres and harder suspension makes it less fun in the rain, as the car is sliding and scrubs off speed, it takes longer to regain full grip, too long.

But a drawback to stock tyres and wheels is that they are fugly.:frown:

I drove the 05 to work today in light snow. I was just careful not to drive like a nut and mde sure I didnt launch it too hard.

I drove the 05 to work today in light snow. I was just careful not to drive like a nut and mde sure I didnt launch it too hard.

Any Pics? Id like to see some snow once in a while... Oh and be careful!

If you want to see what happens to an NSX while driving in cold wet weather go to my picture gallery photo's under my user name whwnsx. My car spun out going straight under acceleration. Luckily I was saved by my airbag and the great design of the NSX body structure. My only injury was a fractured tibia plateau. The car was totaled.

Take it easy in the rain.

I think it's all about tires and how much tread is left. I picked up my NSX in Orlando last Oct and drove it back to Denver. It was raining through most of Florida and Georgia, I had the cruise control set at about 75 and I felt perfectly confident, no sign of any traction problem at all, it felt nearly the same as dry road. My rear tires are Michelin Pilot Sports with plenty of tread. I suggest checking the wet traction rating of your tires-and the amount of tread remaining.

I agree that it's all about the tires, all other factors are way less important, provided that your car's suspension is set up correctly (stock or properly modified). My bone stock car is very surefooted in the rain. I am running tires that perform well in the wet.

Last edited:
It also depends on your rear setup. Mine is set quite neutral to reduce tread wear on the inside. NSX is a light car and with 265 in the rear, there is not much downforce when you are driving slowly and the weight is distributed evenly over the surface of the tyre. (80-90 km/h). I experience a huge difference when driving i wet conditions. In fact it feels less slippery on good winter conditions.

Then there is the quality of your rubber, the age, the quality of the surface, the structure of the surface, etc. etc...:wink:

I own some old school BMW's that rust so easily some owners don't even put water over the top of them when they wash 'em! Driving the NSX in the rain is heaven! :wink:

I'm considering a license place frame on my BMW that says, "My other car is all aluminum". Although the BMW guys would be the only ones that would get it.

Dan

Back