• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Drove a 98 saturday... WOW!

I was really impressed with how much faster and more torquey the 98 feels over my 93. I was really impressed. It feels like it has WAY more power at every shift. I am sure this is from a combo of lower gear ratios and the larger motor. It really does feel totally different... I also noticed more of an intake whine in the 98. On top of the speed, the power steering is very nice and of course the targa.

That ride just confirmed to me that I need to save up for the 97+ model as it just feels like a much better car.

netviper,
man, I thought my 93 was all that. I even beat a E46 M3 on the highway and managed to walk away from him on 3rd gear after v-tec kicked in. I have to save up too.

Brian2by2 said:
the only big time performance difference was the shift from 1st to 2nd keeps the car in vtec...
Acceleration stays stronger after the 1>2 shift with the six-speed because the gear ratios are closer, not because the car stays in VTEC. On the stock car, within any gear, the acceleration is about the same above the VTEC crossover point as below. (It gets louder, though, which may be perceived as greater acceleration.)

Well, I sure noticed a difference in the tq after every shift... felt a lot stronger.

I now REALLY hate the stock gear setup. But ponyboy turned me off of short gears, so I guess I will just save up.

NetViper,
If possible, find someone in your neck of the woods that have a Zanardi NSX and see if he/she's kindly enough to let you drive it around the block. You'll be pleasantly surprised how much quicker it is, acceleration-wise, vs. the NA2 NSX-T. The difference in performance you'll feel from a Zanardi vs. the -T is very much like the -T vs. the NA1. Handling is noticeably improved and has more of that sharp, crisp, Go-Kart-like turn-in than any of the U.S.D.M. NSX's out there. Heck, if you're ever in LA (that's Los Angeles NOT Louisiana :p ), I'm more than willing to let you play with my Z#50 a bit - But you have to promise me to let me ride shotgun, Deal?? ;)

if you are ever in LA (los angeles) I would also be willing to let you drive my 1997 nsx t w/ comptech sc, etc.

The ultimate would be a zanardi with FI.

Thanks

Tom

97CTSC said:
if you are ever in LA (los angeles) I would also be willing to let you drive my 1997 nsx t w/ comptech sc, etc.

The ultimate would be a zanardi with FI.

Thanks

Tom

Thanks for the offers. Someone already has the CTSC on a Zanardi... I forget his handle. He posts all the time..

Netviper,
with all your complaining of the NSX not having much HP, I'm suprised that you are happy about a 3.2 with only 20 more HP than yours? :confused: If the HSC does replace our beloved NSX and it only has <350 hp why do you chastise it, yet you're impressed with a '98 with only 290 hp. I'm not trying to start a flame, just pointing out that we need to wait and see the whole picture, NSX has always been about the whole package not just HP, if you just want HP go buy a Mustang!

HPV100 said:
Netviper,
with all your complaining of the NSX not having much HP, I'm suprised that you are happy about a 3.2 with only 20 more HP than yours? :confused: If the HSC does replace our beloved NSX and it only has <350 hp why do you chastise it, yet you're impressed with a '98 with only 290 hp. I'm not trying to start a flame, just pointing out that we need to wait and see the whole picture, NSX has always been about the whole package not just HP, if you just want HP go buy a Mustang!

First off, I love my NSX. Don't get me wrong. It is an amazing car. My feelings on the HSC are strickly from a competitive standpoint. The standard for an exotic car these days is over 400HP. In 5 years, it will be over 500HP. The NSX is a great car, but it is underpowered. Just from a marketing point of view, coming out with an exotic car with only 300 HP is suicide. All magazines will trash it in a years time and sales will flop. We are not talking about a 40K lightweight lotus elise... we are talking about a 90K EXOTIC.

When coming out with a BRAND new model, which we know is going to be around for a long time based off the current production run... why would you come out with something that is so far behind the competition that it is obsolete as soon as the track goes straight?

Now as far as the 98... have you driven a 97+? It feels a lot quicker and I really enjoyed it. Do i think it is still underpowered... yes, but that 6 speed makes it feel a lot faster as does the extra tq.

Regardless of which one I buy, I am still going to put on a SC. It is just a matter of time...

But NEVER think i don't love my NSX, because I do!

Also isnt the 97+ lighter than the 91-94? That maybe why, along with the horsepower you feel alot of difference......

but I could be wrong:D

NetViper said:
Thanks for the offers. Someone already has the CTSC on a Zanardi... I forget his handle. He posts all the time..
That would have been number 9 - he has a "high" boost CTSC. Unfortunately he no longer posts here.
That car is defintely quick - very nice compliment of 6 speed with additional torque.

D'Ecosse said:
That would have been number 9 - he has a "high" boost CTSC. Unfortunately he no longer posts here.
That car is defintely quick - very nice compliment of 6 speed with additional torque.

Why did he stop? Did he sell the car?

I would love to permanently test out the 3.2 engine, but that will have to wait until I get more $$$$$$. :D

NetViper said:
The 97 is lighter than the 95/96 but not than the 91-94.
The big weight difference is between the NSX-T (3153-3164? pounds) and the NSX Coupe (3010-3069 pounds). All other weight differences are relatively small among the models offered in North America.

Curb weight by model year and body style:

'91 5-speed NSX Coupe 3010 pounds
('92-94 are similar)

'95-96 5-speed NSX-T (not sure, don't have the number handy)

'97-01 6-speed NSX-T 3164 pounds
'97-01 6-speed NSX Coupe 3069 pounds

'99 NSX Zanardi 3015 pounds

'02-04 6-speed NSX-T 3153 pounds

The models with automatic transmission generally weigh around 44 pounds more than the corresponding manual version.

Thanks Nsxtasy and Netviper!!!

I was hoping someone would help me out with my mis-information!:D

I think I am quite qualified to chime in on this topic. I had both a 1992 and a 1997 for 2 years. When I took delivery of the 1997, the improvement of power and acceleration was absolutely obvious. "Holy crap" was what I muttered when I first drove the car. I even doubted that the car only had 290hp. On every shift, you can feel the car charging more strongly. Forget about doing all the short gears, headers, intake and all that. Save the money on a 1997+ if you don't mind having a Targa.
BTW, I am sure the new NSX will be much faster even if it only has 300hp. I don't even think the car is going to be more than $60k if it only has 300hp.
Steve

Last edited:
I drove a '97 Saturday and was extremely impressed with the accelleration. Trying to get the finances in order so I can buy one, I was thinking of going 94+ or higher, but if the engine is that different...

I guess 97+ is the only way to go.

This is exactely my impression since when I got the black NSX. The japanese short gears that I have on the car makes a lot of difference... and I am sure that the 20ps (when related to the higher weight) of the 1997 wouldn't give you that impression.

The 2000$ on the short gears are a very good investment! My car feels like 50ps more... :) :p

gheba_nsx said:
This is exactely my impression since when I got the black NSX. The japanese short gears that I have on the car makes a lot of difference... and I am sure that the 20ps (when related to the higher weight) of the 1997 wouldn't give you that impression.

The 2000$ on the short gears are a very good investment! My car feels like 50ps more... :) :p

I am sure 90% of the feeling was the shorter gears and maybe 10% was the extra TQ.

I would rather save the $2000 and put it towards a 97..

Back