• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

dry rot on all four of my OEM tires - Certified Used NSX?!?!

noted the other day when i got home from picking up the car, all four tires were dry rotted, i won't be able to pass inspection, i am rather surpised being a certified car they would let this fly.

btw, at pick-up i also found a dipstick that didn't have the "holder" so it was just stuck in there, which I made them change.

Thus far Greenwich Acura, supposly the #1 nsx dealer on the east coast, thumps down big time. I am scared to take my car there for service.

Going to call them on monday to get new tires or money for new tires.

According to acura.com the tires only have to have 5/32 or more of tread to pass. It does not say anything about dry rot though. You might have a battle ahead of you with the dealer. Good luck. :)

What do you mean when you say "dry rot"...? :confused:

I'm not sure how tires could be "rotten" (whatever that means) after only four years - and that assumes that the tires are the original ones.

Tires are normally warranteed by the tire manufacturer, and that would be in addition to any coverage (not sure to what extent) from the vehicle being certified.

I would start with the dealer service department. Presumably they will already know that the tires are warranteed by their manufacturer.

All four tires are like this all around, not something i want to drive on.

I also noted today that the brake fluid is milky, wtf is greenwich doing, i don't think my car is certified.... Going to call Acura and Greenwich tomorrow. Why can't dealership just do it right from the start? One of the main reason why I got rid of my BMW was because of the nitwit service ppl i had to deal with, but it looks like i got another set of nitwits w/ acura shirts now....

FUCKEDUP.JPG

the tires look like they are very old...check the date code on the tires and see if they are older than the car...I would see if you can return the car

My tires dont look like that. It looks like They gave me 2 new tires in the rear as well. It had those new tire look.
The old tires in the front looks good too. Very clean. It was in the showroom. The engine compartment was super clean. Everything was clean.
Put some pics of your engine and hood compartment.
Go back and make sure you give them a piece of your mind.
Its complete bull fore them to sell u a acura certified car in that shape.

Calvin

nsxtasy said:
What do you mean when you say "dry rot"...? :confused:

I'm not sure how tires could be "rotten" (whatever that means) after only four years - and that assumes that the tires are the original ones.
This is a common problem, particularly with seasonal-use vehicles, particularly those not stored adequately.

Dry-rot typically results in cracking and the rubber literally flaking off. Typically this happens right where the tread meets the sidewall. I see a lot of these on motorcycles, and it CAN get dangerous, particularly when cornering.

You avoid this by cleaning the tires and applying a non-silicone tire dressing / protectant. Also, keep your tires away from oil, brake fluid (and other corrosives), heat, electrical equipment (ozone deteriorates rubber) and direct sunlight.

Not sure of warranty considerations -- most of these are due to "improper storage and care", typically by under-informed owners. Some of this is arguably "plausible deniability", but I digress...

Note that other rubber components (like hoses and belts) are also susceptible to these conditions... if a vehicle has dry-rot on its tires, I'd double-check these too.

Acura certified my A?s

When I got my "acrua certified" car I don't think the dealer did a thing to the car other than wash it. The oil had not been changed in a while and was overfilled by 1 quart. It took a month or more before the smell of burnt oil stopped coming from the engine compartment. The brake fluid had never been changed (3 year old car) and was full of debris. However the tires were all brand new but I don't think that the dealer put the tires on the car.

End of story is that the rest of the car was in great shape but no thanks to the dealer.

now my check engine light is on...argh...but the car drives perfect probably somekind of sensor is bad, i'll have to see what it is later during lunch....

THONDA,
They will probably repair the sensor for ya.
You should also check to make sure your fuel cap is on tight. Also, when u get gass, turn off your engine.

If more things go wrong with your NSX, maybe you can return it within 30 days. Not sure. Im suprised that Greenwich Acura sold this to you in that shape.

Anyway, I think I will go get an oil change anyway. Just to be on the safe side.

take care
Calvin

thank man, called greenwich, they are sending everything over regarding the certified car and extended warranty.

they are buying me brand new tires and chaning my brake fluid, I just hope the issue w/ the CKP sensor doesn't ruin anything in the engine while i am driving....

I am kinda happy this happen so early during the ownership because they are running around to make sure I am taken care of.

So thrusday I got to drop it off at Greenwich for them to fix it up.
I was hoping they just give me the money for the tires.

Glad to hear it THONDA.
Man, how come u got your plates already? Ive been waiting for over 2 weeks and still dont have my permanent plates yet.
I want to tint window, but dont want to tint it till it goes thru inspection.

Also, I would suggest you ASK them to give it a once over the whole car. And YES, you are lucky that everything happened now before the 30 days. They prob wouldnt take care of you later.
But still, have them do a full inspection of your car. Change any or all fluids. It seems like they didnt do it in the first place.

btw, u should ask them why you didnt get the stuff in the first place AND why the car wasnt inspected in the first place.
Look very upset. Im sure they will try to make things right even more for ya. if I were you, Id give them a piece of my mind about it.

Good luck bud.
Calvin

HAHAH, if you were closer, Id go with ya... (C=
Cavlin

Check list

Its too bad this has happened to you to ruin your great experience that should have been.
I would print out the check list here from prime and ask the service manager to go through the whole car one thing at a time with you. Especially putting the car up on the lift and inspecting the whole underneath. I would drag this out to make sure its all checked. If he isn't available to do it with you then you should be set up with his top nsx mechanic. You know for a fact that they didn't check this car out fully like they where apparently suppose to. If he doesn't go for this I would ask him to get Acura on the phone for you immediately and talk to them directly with him standing there.
Perhaps phoning Acura first and getting exact details on what they should have done would arm you with the best information for the situation.
I think you can get alot accomplished if you play it right!
Be firm but friendly!
Trev

I have always found that you get more accomplished with a professional, calm demeanor than with a baseball bat (I know you were joking) it seems people respond better to rational logic.....who would have thought?

I echo the previous post, go over the entire car and check everything as if it is being certified now. Whatever they do not change (fluids, filters, etc., I would go ahead and change anyway. Good luck, make sure you get the factory tires by the way, not some aftermarket brand not intended for the NSX, since they are taking care of it, that is what the car should have come with. That is approximately $900 by the ay for all 4 mounted and balanced.

Back