• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

dunlop z1 star

After a couple days of casual track days, this is what I found on my tire

tiremelt1.jpg

tiremelt2.JPG

Does it look like my tires are melting a little?

Henry.

Your tires aren't melting!!! :tongue:

That is rubber from the track that your tires picked up.

Bet you if you get under your car that you will find little strips of rubber everywhere wrapped around things. :wink:

Last edited:
Your tires aren't melting!!! :tongue:

That is rubber from the track that your tires picked up.

Bet you if you get under your car that you will find little strips of rubber everywhere wrapped around things. :wink:
Yes and no. The rubber that's built up on the edges of the tread blocks are from his own tires themselves. Yes as the tires get hot they get soft and due to the lateral loads from the road on the tire, it 'smears' the tire rubber to the sides where they build up and result in what you see there.

It's completely normal. Don't worry about it.

If you go to track and you not getting it, you just weren't even heating the tires up. The only time that you won't get that is if you going to a track day when it's wet the whole time.

it's completely normal, is that your first track day??:biggrin: Have fun.

In fact with street tires, when you pick up speed, your tires will starting to melt (rounding out the sharp edges) on the edge a little bit, again, it's completely normal.

I wished I still have some street tires that I can take a photo to show you.

Congratulations. You are definitely driving your NSX and having some serious fun now. When your tires look like that, you are pushing the tires to near its limits. Good Job!

Those look like newer tires that still have a lot of tread. So, the tread blocks are still "squirmy" and can deflect quite a bit. The rubber builds up on the INSIDE blocks of the tread (or the trailing edge) since this is the part that is folded over during the lateral loads and not really making contact when you corner.

From these pictures, it looks like your air pressure and camber are set pretty well up front!

Glad to hear that this is normal. These are new dunlop z1 star, maybe only 400km old with oem '97 alignment. I can't imagine what the tires will look like in the coming summer track day.

The Racing Brake big rotor kit is working out pretty well too.

Back