• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

E92 M3 or 2005 NSX from m3forum.net

I found this link.

http://www.thering.co.uk/page/Nurburgring_Lap_Times.html

Next time you think an NSX would be faster in the twisties than E92 M3 or 335i coupe, at least according to this site that sure isn't true. See times 8:38 and 8:26 and 8:05. Yes, there is a faster NSX-R time but that is not the standard NSX either. You cant clown on a new M3 now.

BTW, we are not talking about an E46 M3 anyway.

The Nurburgring is not a track to base twisties handling upon. There are still many straight aways that will favor high hp cars, hence nothing but high hp cars breaking into the 7s with the exception of the 300 or so hp japanese cars. Find track numbers for shorter and less straight away involved tracks and you may find how close the numbers really are.

Last edited:
Umm, just saw this and had to interject... Motortrend just ran a test of the best handling cars against some pretty serious cars. Viper ACR, 911 Turbo, GTR, Audi R8, among many others. Randy Pobst, you might know who he is, chose the R8 overall. The M3 came in 3rd, behind the GTR and ahead of the 911 Turbo. Pobst put the M3 in 2nd place, ahead of the GTR and behind the R8.

Greetings

Have you driven both? I have. I did not have the pleasure of driving the M3 on a track -- had to rough it on the street. The nose seemed heavy in traffic. I did not think it handled well on an uneven curvy mountain road.

Cheers,
Martin

Greetings

Have you driven both? I have. I did not have the pleasure of driving the M3 on a track -- had to rough it on the street. The nose seemed heavy in traffic. I did not think it handled well on an uneven curvy mountain road.

Cheers,
Martin

Yes, I own both an NSX and was one of the first to take ownership of the E92 M3 here in the US. I've done spirited driving through Malibu Canyon with both cars. The M3 is an amazing handling car. When 2 time Daytona 24 Hour winner and race P-car driver Randy Pobst chooses it over the 911 turbo and Nissan GTR, that says something.

The M3 is an amazing handling car. When 2 time Daytona 24 Hour winner and race P-car driver Randy Pobst chooses it over the 911 turbo and Nissan GTR, that says something.

No question about it BMW makes fine automobiles. Given the options you have to chose the M3 over a Turbo, a Turbo was not built for track, a GT3 on the otherhand would be the obvious pick if it was in the run.

Me however I make irrational decisions so I pick neither I pick Modena or early GT3. :biggrin:

Even though I have only owned my 94 NSX for about 3 weeks now, I will take the NSX over the M3 any time, especially M3 with SMG (I have been driving my friend's M3 for the past 2 years).

NSX drives low and you can pretty much feel every bump on the road. However, M3 is the same way except every bump feels more jerky, adding the jerkiness from SMG, it quickly becomes very uncomfortable.

No doubt that the M3 is a nice sports coupe. However, it is just not in the same league as the NSX. The NSX belongs in the leaque with 911, Ferrari, and etc. while M3 belongs in the group that includes E63, RS4 and C63.

And I really dislike the "superior complex" on because it is made in Europe/Germany. I vaguely remember that both VW and Fiat is made in Europe...

That is my $.02 and change...

Even though I have only owned my 94 NSX for about 3 weeks now, I will take the NSX over the M3 any time, especially M3 with SMG (I have been driving my friend's M3 for the past 2 years).

NSX drives low and you can pretty much feel every bump on the road. However, M3 is the same way except every bump feels more jerky, adding the jerkiness from SMG, it quickly becomes very uncomfortable.

SMG is an E46 M3 not E92. E92s have DKG aka M-DCT.

M3 is good for those people who need a backseat. End of story. Ideally, one would have a NSX and any other 4 seat vehicle out there. That's why I own a Jeep SRT8 and NSX - best of both worlds.

Not everyone can afford 2 vehicles so there are those that will then go with an M3 sort of vehicle as its drives, handles, and carries things.

I have never known anyone to go out and buy an M3 just for the handling and performance aspect if they had already owned a Ferrari, NSX, Porsche, etc....never heard of it. But if someone didn't already own the forementioned vehicles then they would buy an M3.:wink:

I have never known anyone to go out and buy an M3 just for the handling and performance aspect if they had already owned a Ferrari, NSX, Porsche, etc....never heard of it. But if someone didn't already own the forementioned vehicles then they would buy an M3.:wink:

You should read the M3 forums. There are several GT3 and Ferrari owners on there that frequently track and purchased the E92 M3 for a track car. And for the record, I did buy my M3 for the handling and performance although I already own an NSX and another daily driver. :) The backseat was just a plus I didn't really need, I could have bought a lot of other cars... Like the NSX, it's just a great car and I have an unbiased respect for it as with some other cars.

This was done with slick tires and incomplete lap time.

I don't know about the tires but the lap was not "incomplete". That myth comes from the BM video showing the timer stopping just after the final turn. If you compare to other videos out there including the official GTR videos you will see that this is the common way of timing a lap there.

I think a lot of people here are still thinking of the old E46 M3. References to SMG and a 2004 M3 suggest that people haven't seen or driven this car. It is quite a bit different from the older version.

An NSX is a great car. I still want to purchase one down the road but for different reasons than most of you. I like my 335 a lot too. I have a 400hp car with a warranty for 4 years thanks to Dinan. It is fast enough for now. The backseat is great but it isn't the main reason to get an M3.

You should read the M3 forums. There are several GT3 and Ferrari owners on there that frequently track and purchased the E92 M3 for a track car. And for the record, I did buy my M3 for the handling and performance although I already own an NSX and another daily driver. :)

You've got to admit that this is a rarity...of all M3 owners, most buy it as the first performance car and not after owning a Ferrari, et. al. Not to say the M3 isn't a great car - it is, just not the first choice for those who have already experienced a NSX, F430, 911, etc.

I'm willing to bet that subconciously the rear seat room is a factor in having chosen the M3...there are many more choices for track car.

I'd even like an M3 as a daily driver but I need the space that a SUV provides...

You've got to admit that this is a rarity...of all M3 owners, most buy it as the first performance car and not after owning a Ferrari, et. al. Not to say the M3 isn't a great car - it is, just not the first choice for those who have already experienced a NSX, F430, 911, etc.

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind this. There are a few 911s can can beat the M3 around a track it's also a car that posted a ring time 1 second behind the Audi R8. It's a great track car, literally born on Nurburgring and civil enough to drive on the streets. Obviously for a purely track car, there are better choices but people consider more than just the athleticism otherwise they'd all be buying impractical cars like the Atom. So for the reasons they bought their Ferraris and other toys, it was the entire package that they considered.

I'm willing to bet that subconciously the rear seat room is a factor in having chosen the M3...there are many more choices for track car.

I'd even like an M3 as a daily driver but I need the space that a SUV provides...

I definitely didn't buy mine for the backseat. Really, it's not ideal to haul backseat passengers, it serves better for storage. Besides, the leather back there is too nice to have people mess it up so mine will rarely be used.

Back