• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Early model NSX VS 240SX with SR20DET and mods

I'm looking for anyone with experience of both of these vehicles. I have recently been pondering whether to purchase a house or to put the downpayment money towards an early model NSX. I posed that question to the forum here and got a majority response that real estate is a much better investment than a sports car which I do realize. Then I thought maybe I could get a house and a nice sports car, not to the level of an NSX but something close performance wise.

I've always liked the lightweight 240SX, the look of the S15 front facia and the incredible handling. I've driven passenger in a couple of modded ones with SR20DET swaps and suspension mods and the car handles very well. To give an idea to those who don't know a 240sx with SR20DET is a turbo front engine RWD coupe weighing anywhere from 2700-2900 pounds and putting out 250HP/200TQ stock and easily increased with some light mods and even further with larger turbo upgrades. I've never driven in an NSX so I can't really compare. I'm curious as to how they compare straight line and handling wise.

So basically I can probably spend maybe $10-$15k on a nice modded 240SX and use the remaining cash to purchase a home, or just spend a straight up $30k on the NSX and putoff the house. Now I know the cars are in different leagues all together one being an exotic Japanese supercar and the other being a typical modified japanese coupe.

I realize a modded 240 will have more maintenance issues and upkeep, but should be no more expensive than than the upkeep of an NSX. I also know insurance will be cheaper on the 240. Just looking for some advice as to what I can expect differently performance wise between the two. Thanks for the advice.

From someone who bought the car first instead of the house I would get the house first and hold onto the money to see if the house needs any work then see how much money is left over to play with at that time. Nsx's will still be around for a while and there is plenty of time to get one.

with all do respect if you have to ask this question...get the 240.

Ditto to what has been said here before. If you have to even ask, get the 240 & the house. If you are even more budget conscious, you could buy a chevy malibu for $900, and since $12,000 into the motor and you could have a car that could smoke everybody. Course no one would care when you pull into a parking lot. The point of the NSX is that you enjoy the machinery for what it is because it will leave a big grin on your face everytime you are behind the whee.

Acura NsX Pilot said:
From someone who bought the car first instead of the house I would get the house first and hold onto the money to see if the house needs any work then see how much money is left over to play with at that time. Nsx's will still be around for a while and there is plenty of time to get one.

That was the smartest thing Ive ever done. I waited patiently for my NSX and now once I sell my second crib, a new toy is in the horizon. Real Estate appreciates and cars unfortunatly dont. Although Ive been watching Barrett Jackson and I may be wrong:biggrin: I paid 150k for my shitty condo and now Ive had several offers for ALOT more than that.:wink:

don't know about the housing thing. I'm always the one who's against it... I mean, people could flame me or what not, in 5 years, I'll see those who lost everything over their house...... Whatever happened in US right now happened exactly happened in various asian countries.

If you were buying a house for living, I think it's still ok..(My wife is working on that, so what I'm saying :rolleyes:), if you are going for it for investment, you will lose.

Back to the topic:

240sx, especially the one with a good swap with the 4piston caliper and SR20DET, a good suspension. If you are into Turbo car and goes to track, it's a pretty playful car. My buddy is a shop owner and he had a real S13 with cage, light weight, I believed his engine had mods in it with the bigger fuel injectors; he also had Kei office coil over, aluminum bushing, end link, etc... It's his daily driver.

We went to track together quite a bit. I don't have as much skill as he had but I do go to the track more times than him. My nsx (and the other prime member one) were mindly tuned. Carbotech panther+ with stoptech 2 piece, TeinRA, I/H/E... We are about the same pace. We all have RA1.
At the end of straightaway, nsx's terminal speed is higher but then his car, usually in the morning, is much faster and at the end of the day, his car is noticeably getting slower towards the end of the session due to the heat builtup. His car mpg is lower than my nsx. Especially on the track. But then the fireball or blueglowing exhaust is very cool to watch.... :)

I could tell you that it's really a lot different than the nsx. I guessed it really comes down to how you enjoy a car... Maybe telling us more about your background and your current car would help.

As for the upkeep, if you are going to track the car, then I can see that it would be comparable, if not more, in case you want to have the car running the same level of performance with a nsx. But then nsx is a lot more expensive to fix should you have any off track excusion.

If you are really hardcore with your car and tends to have low resistance to overspend... then nsx is probably be a better car to start, as the high price of the aftermarket parts could be a resistance to you. And lets not forget turbocharged car tends to have more parts breaking down on track.

nsx, on the other hand is bulletproof on track, if one decided not to crash his/hers :biggrin:

I'll elaborate more if needed, be back... Wife's calling for dinner:redface:

Acura NsX Pilot said:

im with you. i'm an idiot for buying this car when i was SO in a position to buy a house. i figured i could always buy a house, at that time they were selling for 180K-200K for a 2000 sq ft 3-4BR in a nice area. Now they've more than doubled in price, my income is reduced, and instead of it being just me, I have a wife and a 2nd child on the way. BUY A HOUSE!!!!!!!!! Don't even include the car in the equation, see where you are after you're done.

Buy a house first...I believe its something that you can always enjoy and be proud of!!! You definitely want a house that you can enjoy living in and working hard for it. A car can always come later when the timing is right and you will enjoy it alot better when you have a perfect garage for it.

Personally I bought the house first, glad I did based on the US housing market, particularily in Orlando. Anyway I would never want to own a car like the NSX without a garage, I get worried about it in parking lots let alone left outside overnight, think the stress would kill me. Its one thing to leave a 240SX out in an apartment parking lot its another to leave an NSX.

I could understand if one asking a question of wether buying a car or put it down for the house, in case he is asking for a $60k car.

But obviously, he's asking if he should buy an old nsx, which have plenty of good examples on the market in 23k to sub 30k. No to mention he could put 10k down and finance the rest, in a 60months term, he would only need to spend less than $350 a month. Tell me, if you are in a postition of purchasing a house in today's marketplace, what's the difference of that $10k make??

Back to the 240sx and nsx, if you were going for financing, the nsx could get financing easier, (still not as easy as if you were buying a 2002 S2k!! Some bank have policy not to cover cars older than 7 years.) as both cars are pretty old. The money you need to put in the 240 would be your hard earn $$CASH$$. Most of the modification money will be gone whenever you want to sell your car... So in a long run, the 240 could have costed you more money. If there's any mishap in the future, you will get more money from the nsx than the 240.

Buy a house first...I believe its something that you can always enjoy and be proud of!!! You definitely want a house that you can enjoy living in and working hard for it. A car can always come later when the timing is right and you will enjoy it alot better when you have a perfect garage for it.
I'm not a normal person, and I don't have any pride if I own a house or not. If I have to trap inside a house and all my income going into that. (And no nsx sitting in the garage or a car worth for tracking) I'll commit sucide sooner or later. So, for me, my pride and joy will always be my cars. No option there. I work 7 days a week, to me, house is only a warm place for me to take shower, sleeping... ok, maybe waxing my nsx and surfing nsxprime!! I agree with you on the last part. A huge garage with lift and all the tools will do. :biggrin:

House,House, House!!! No question. Don't even get the 240 and a house. Buy more of a house with that money. It WILL appreciate. Then, when the next NSX comes out, or a good used NSX is available, you'll have saved up more money to use at that time, or you can use the equity in your house if necessary (not recommended). Get the house.

I totally agreed with most others here. Get the house first! That's what I did and after a few years of owning a house was when I decided to take the plunge and bought the NSX.
Besides, I would not want to put the NSX on an open air parking lot. I'd much rather have the garage to put the NSX in!!

Okay...I'm currently wtg on getting back on my feet after buying my house a couple years ago (a lot of work still to be done but I knew that going to settlement...well...at least some of it LOL). My area is not typical (or maybe it is) but if I waited one more year I would not have been able to buy the house due to prices going up. Though you can make a car last a long time a house (normally) will outlast the car...if not...the land will. Get the house plan for the future. To make sure I can afford the house and the car I've cut down my expenses and some of my other toys. I consider cars in the "toys categories" not essentials (i.e. food, shelter, women, beer, nachos, or clothing).

Buy the house...settle in it for a year...then the car. Keep your toys cheaper till you can afford the more expensive ones.

current transportation and toys

03 Nissan Murano <-- selling today!
81 jeep cj <-- sold last summer
94 daily beater Nissan <--- ugly POS:tongue: but hey 40mpg
84 jeep cj <-- toy goes where the NSX can't ;-)
truck <-- buying cheap used truck maybe this week
bass boat <-- selling in Spring :frown:
NSX <-- next year 91-95 :smile:

I have experience in both, well kind of, I own a S15 Silvia with light engine mods, and some suspension tuning, light engine mods being turbo back exhaust, FMIC, and intake = 230hp @ the wheels. Similar setup’s with engine management and injectors, pump, cams are hitting 270hp+ @ the wheels, all this is on the standard turbo.

This car in comparison to the NSX hmmm where do I start you don’t get the low down feel of an NSX which is one of the elements that makes it such a wonderful car, the factory handling of the NSX, but with not too much work you can get close and some more $$ possibly better. There is a huge aftermarket presence for this car, well in AUS anyhow. Straight line speed my modded S15 pulls harder and faster than the NSX in standard form though the NSX seems to gain some in the higher gears.

IMO I suggest go the house and the 240SX or NSX once you know your comfortable

get the House

then after 3+ years, refi and get a nice car of your choice. :smile:

Back