• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Eclipse Navi system

This started as part of another thread and didn't want to take it over, none the less did want to reply. My Car is going to be down for a weekend or two to install the new radio, amps and speakers. I Talked to Andy at Buzz Off and he was MOST kind to me in pricing! ( I hope he made enough off me for shipping )
I bought his replacement bass box, the Eclipse Navi unit, and some M B quart speakers, I then went to SoS site and ordered the Center face kit W/O the ashtry. It scares me more than I can tell you that I am going to try to install this myself! I will post pictures if I think that it looks decent ( and can get a low enough resolution picture to post) . Thanks for the interest!

thanks for the repy

I would love to see the finished product.
please post pic,

Navi Installed

I took all the parts for the above Radio to a company recomended by ABT ( who only installs what they sell ).

IL Style Audio
101 E Rand
Mount Prospect, Il
(847) 398 4800

I felt they did an excellent job on the system.
They were knowledgeable about the car and had
referances. I can't tell you how happy I am about
the quality of the work, especally since he didn't
sell any of the parts!
Consider them highly recomended!

Is the eclipse navigation unit the double-din sized one... that slides open for the cd right? (I'm not sure if they made slide out monitor models) Anyways... I was just wondering if it is the double din unit, if you could comment on the visibility during the day (sunny or cloudy). I've thought about this as well in regards to a kenwood deck since it then wouldn't cover up the a/c controls but worried since the dash is slanted back so much.

Sorry, I did try to post a picture but it is too big. It is a double din unit and the fit is a bit tight near the bottom of the unit. I was told by Science of Speed to get the ashtray delete which I did but I had them put in a cigerette adaptor. (cell phones, radar detectors, or other little goodies need juice too!) it does all work well with a nice clean look. The Screen moves out of the way to install a Cd near the top or DVD in the middle, then goes back in place. The angle is just right for an NSX, although I'm told you can change the angle of the touch screen. It is a smige too bright at night, and I have to find out how to turn up the voice for the Navi. Other than that, I like it very much.

Moderator....Can we move this to the "Stereo" forum so we call all talk about it? I am very interested and would like to know from other users here.

Thanks...mucho gracia:D

YellowNSX said:
The angle is just right for an NSX, although I'm told you can change the angle of the touch screen. It is a smige too bright at night, and I have to find out how to turn up the voice for the Navi. Other than that, I like it very much.
The change of angle won't help much for an NSX install. The angle change feature is mostly designed for cars with installs set down low like in an Acura Integra to improve viewing angle.

Brightness and voice can be easily changed in the setup menu. I have the brightness turned down on mine, and the navi voice turned all the way up. PM (or chime in) if you need help.

-Randy

How accurate is the nav system in term of direction and so forth? I have the nav in my mdx and loving it. I like to find one to put in my nsx as well. Found the eclipse ...i like the clean look. however, how is the quality overal, ease of use....blah blah blah?

Re: Navi Installed

YellowNSX said:
I took all the parts for the above Radio to a company recomended by ABT ( who only installs what they sell ).

IL Style Audio
101 E Rand
Mount Prospect, Il
(847) 398 4800

I felt they did an excellent job on the system.
They were knowledgeable about the car and had
referances. I can't tell you how happy I am about
the quality of the work, especally since he didn't
sell any of the parts!
Consider them highly recomended!

The company has since moved to a larger location..
But the Phone number is still the same......
Pictures coming...but not as good as I'd like

Looks reallly nice. I would love to take a look at it.

I not sure, but you bought everything from ABT, and had someone else install it?

I would love to get this, but i have tons of questions

I have a feeling that a couple of guys are going to be real busy after this post. First, for those interested in getting the unit at the best possible price, you need to get ahold of Andy (Buzz) at (813)882-8477. From him I bought the Eclipse head unit, A pair of LB Quarts speakers, A bass box designed by him for the NSX, and a 3 channel amp. He gave me all the parts for about the price that the head unit Should have gone for. I then called SoS (science of speed) and bought the fiberglass face without the ashtry.
Then I had to hunt for someone to install all my toys. abt said that they wouldn't install it because they didn't sell it. ( They don't sell Eclipse anyway)
However, they DID recommend Il Style Audio in the north suburbs (847) 398 4800. Previous to this I had been calling around and asking different installers if they had ever worked on an NSX before. Several said that they had, but when I asked them where the Bass speaker was I got alot of wrong answers. This guy seemed to know his stuff, We agreed on a price and I brought the car by. He said the car would take him about 3 days and I told him not only not to hurry, But to do the car as if it was his own. ( Glad I did ) I called on the second day and he told me that he would still probably have a couple more days in it........by the 4th day he was working on my car exclusively. When it was all said and done he had 6 days in the car. I could not have been more pleased with the results. :smile: He had to make special inserts for the door speakers ( I'm sure some of the guys here can tell you about that). The inserts held not only the speakers but the EQs for them.

The unit does everything you'd expect and a couple more. It is an MP3 player and will also play DVDs. As an MP3 player it lists all the titles on the face so all you have to do is hit the touch screen to change music ( ***note This is one of those radios that you CAN tell the difference between a CD and an MP3 ) everthing else is what you'd expect. When the Navigation talks to you it comes out the drivers speaker. The navigaion will put you on the right block but not always at the front door. But I'm quite pleased :wink:

The single fly in the ointment was paint. After he finished He sprayed it an almost flat black. I took it to my body shop who painted the panel for me and it took 3 times to get the color right. but its perfect now.

YellowNSX said:
Incidently in the sub section earmarked subs subs subs is a picture of the Box sold by Andy....Without the cover.

Is yours any different than mine? Does it still have the little mouse hole on the right corner?

At this time, what do you all think is the best overall Double din unit for our car??

I'm looking for Nav(store in hdd so I can play DVD at without changing the disk), DVD, and an additional vido input (thinking of installing a rear view camera), plus the usual CD changer, MP3 etc....

YellowNSX,

I'm doing a similar install and need to know what is the "right" paint. Any sharing of info on the paint may help save me from learning the hard way, what you just found out.

Aloha,
Steven Lee

awsomr1 said:
At this time, what do you all think is the best overall Double din unit for our car??

I'm looking for Nav(store in hdd so I can play DVD at without changing the disk), DVD, and an additional vido input (thinking of installing a rear view camera), plus the usual CD changer, MP3 etc....

Eclipse makes a plug and play back up camera for this unit, priced at around $210 and is very compact. You simply plug it into the back of the unit and it comes on when you put it into reverse(after you connect the reverse wiring to the unit).
XM Radio Kit - XM radio kit provides MANY digital channels.
Voice Command Microphone - Allows a user to control the Navigation unit using their voice.
External CD Changer - Allows a user to listen to hours of non-stop music.
iPod interface - screen text which displays song names and has it's very own menu.
Video/Audio Interface -Ability to add two video AND audio inputs (External DVD players, video game systems, TV tuners, etc).
Ask me how I know!

So JOhn,

Which car did you have this set up on???
Any photos???

James

Malibu Rapper said:
He must have redid his mold because my box made less than a year ago has a mouse hole. Do you know what mousehole we're talking about? It's that big gap near the kickpanel.

PT91, how do you like that ID sub? Is that the IDQ10v2?

Malibu - Yes, the sub is IDQ10V.2D4. This sub is much better suited and tighter than the 10" DA that Andy shipped. I believe it is spec'd down to .25 or .30 sealed box volume. The bottom of the box had to be reshaped very slightly to fit.
Can we see a pic of Andy's new box? Volume difference?

stevenlee said:
YellowNSX,

I'm doing a similar install and need to know what is the "right" paint. Any sharing of info on the paint may help save me from learning the hard way, what you just found out.

Aloha,
Steven Lee

sorry :frown: ....I just talked to my paint guy today and he couldn't give me the paint code ( We did this last May ) Wish I could be more helpful, but wish you luck. The finished product looks great if done right!

PT91.....now that I think about it, I'm not sure about the mouse hole. I won't get to see my car for another month and a half to Two months :eek: ...I'll keep you posted as soon as I know!

Back