• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ecotec and Ecoboost......what are they???

I have always been wondering...Ford has Ecoboost, GM has Ecotec, but what are they???

They don't seem to be anything special, they don't have any distinctive feature...

Can someone explain exactly what they are?
What the heck is Ecoboost? Isn't that just a TURBO???? Why is Ford making such a big deal about it?

Also GM's Ecotec...is it just another valve timing technology? So it is just another VTEC? If not, what is it exactly?
GM just gives the name "Ecotec" to their lineups, yet they don't seem to have anything special.
Did GM actually started/invented anything new?

As far as I know, Ecotec is not like Mazda's Skyactive...?

GM Ecotec is nothing new, its been around since 2000. The early models didn't have any sort of variable valve timing. I believe the newer ones do.

Ford Ecoboost is just a turbocharged 4 or 6 cylinders engine.

Technically speaking, they're just a way of branding their engine and technologies. Nearly every manufacturer has some sort of engine branding:

Honda VTEC, i-VTEC, AVTEC, etc.
Mitsubishi - MIVEC
Nissan - VVEL
BMW - VANOS
Mazda - Skyactiv
etc.
etc.
etc.

They are fancy names for marketing purposes. Put a nice cool technical badge on it and it will sell. I remember back in the day they put "Automatic overdrive" badges on some cars. Times have not changes, just the badges.

EcoBoost
- Direct injection gasoline engine
- Turbo
- Overhead CAMs
- Variable valve timing

Direct injection eliminates knock because fuel doesn't enter the cylinder until after the intake charge has been compressed. You end up with more power and better fuel economy.

Cheers,
Ian

I have always been wondering...Ford has Ecoboost, GM has Ecotec, but what are they???

EcoBoost
- Turbo
- Overhead CAMs
- Variable valve timing

Direct injection eliminates knock because fuel doesn't enter the cylinder until after the intake charge has been compressed. You end up with more power and better fuel economy.

Cheers,
Ian
So it's just a DOHC VTEC Turbo = Ecoboost?

EcoBoost
- Turbo
- Overhead CAMs
- Variable valve timing

Cheers,
Ian

This is also my understanding. I think the 'neat' part to the average Joe is the fact they offer turbo charging where turbo charging didn't exist. My father's side of the family is from deep East Texas; if you have two testicles you own a pickup truck. A turbo charged F150 came out of left field when it was announced. Most "truck" guys are only familiar with turbo diesels and getting it to work and increase fuel mileage (albeit only slightly) on a V6 is quite a feat. Hopefully a few years down the road they have a turbo focus with 280hp that gets 40mpg+.

This is also my understanding. I think the 'neat' part to the average Joe is the fact they offer turbo charging where turbo charging didn't exist. My father's side of the family is from deep East Texas; if you have two testicles you own a pickup truck. A turbo charged F150 came out of left field when it was announced. Most "truck" guys are only familiar with turbo diesels and getting it to work and increase fuel mileage (albeit only slightly) on a V6 is quite a feat. Hopefully a few years down the road they have a turbo focus with 280hp that gets 40mpg+.
Toyota offered
4X4 pickup with a turbo but it did'nt last long. Seemed like a neat concept but somehow did not pan out.:confused:

No, it's more than that.

EcoBoost = DOHC VTEC Turbo with direct injection.

Direct injection has been around forever in diesel engines but it's only been available for gasoline engines for the last few years.

Cheers,
Ian

I might be wrong, but don't most Honda engines have direct injection?

If so, Acura RDX = Ecoboost?

No, it doesn't look like the 2012 RDX had direct injection:

http://www.edmunds.com/acura/rdx/2013/road-test.html

"...[last year's] turbo-4 lacked the direct-injection fuel system that would have enhanced its fuel-sipping potential, and its laggy-then-abrupt torque delivery conflicted with the 2013 RDX's mission of increased maturity"

Cheers,
Ian

This is one of several areas Honda is behind the curve. Their transmissions and fuel injection systems are painfully out of date. The new generation of Acuras is supposed to remedy this. We'll see.

Back