• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Edmunds Review of the 2003 NSX...

...with a decidedly negative slant.
frown.gif

Link to the review is here.

Regards.

Misinformed Accord stats or not, his perception is right on, IMO. For $90k I don't think I would buy a 2003 NSX. For under 35-40k, I definetly would and I am, but when you put this car in the same price range as the new Maserati, the 2004 Aston Martin AMV8, along with a few other great options, I couldn't see myself spending 90k for a 12 year old design. I'll probably be alone in my opinion, but that's how I feel.

Brandon

Midnight Hour,

In such a brief post, you've got quite a few things wrong.

First, you don't have to pay $90K for a new NSX. Recently several buyers have bought them for ~$73K.

Second, it's not in the same price range as a new Aston Martin.

Finally, the Maserati, while in the same price range, is, quite simply, not a sports car.

Compare the NSX with a normally aspirated 911, and it's a fairly even comparison.

Like I said, it's my opinion. And the new AMV8 is going to be under $100k, so it is in the same price range. And there's a reason they're asking $15K+ under MSRP, and it's because more people that just me don't find it just to pay that much for such an old design.

The editors at Edmunds are a bunch of hypocrites.

They could make all the same charges - less power than the competition, high price, aged looks - at the NA Porsche 911. But they don't. However, they find lots of other complaints in their 911 review, things that they couldn't find wrong with the NSX.

Of course, their previous road test article of the 2002 NSX was every bit as inaccurate and biased as the current one.

I guess their reviews are as lame as their used car pricing!

Originally posted by Midnight Hour:
the new AMV8 is going to be under $100k, so it is in the same price range.

Those are two completely different price ranges. There's a difference between a car that's under $100K, and a car that's $73K. That difference is about $25K. If that amount is insignificant to you, please send me a check in that amount.

it's because more people that just me don't find it just to pay that much for such an old design.

Somehow, I have a sneaking suspicion that you wouldn't pay anything even close to $73K (let alone $100K) for a car, and you never have. Am I right?

I do not think that the Edmunds review was
really negative.NIMBLE FEEL-Handling etc
the report is very Fair.

The NSX has enough power to exceed the
driving capabilities of the vast majority of
people who would buy it.178 top speed-who
needs more except for some interesting
cocktail party chatter!The Nsx has a certain
balance of speed -size and dependability that
truthfully is hard to find.

Corvettes are still HUGE looking cars that
still appeal to a lot of people-I am not one
of them. I have not owned a newer Corvette
but I just sold my 65 stingray convert-You
talk about bulk-fiberglass smell-poor handling-it had it all.

The first time I drove an NSX was in 1991
and from that day forward my 86 PORSCHE was
somehow less satisfying.

The Nsx still compare favorably when all
factors are considered-LOOKS-RELIABILITY-and
Most importantly-FUN AND FORGIVING to drive.

Pforpaul said it better than I did. What I said came off wrong I guess. NSX is a VERY amazing piece of machinery and we all know that, but like i said, as the current pricing shows, $90k is too much for the car.

$90k is too much for the car.

Midnight Hour,

You're still quoting a price for the new NSX that has no connection with reality. Stop posting false information, and start getting your facts right.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 15 February 2003).]

No nsxtasy, get YOUR facts straight. The MSRP is $89.7k. They are selling them for $73k because only a select few will buy them for the $90k price tag. Also, your constant quoting of the $73k price just restates my point ...$90k is more than the majority are willing to pay for the car. Quit trying to get the last word in.

[This message has been edited by Midnight Hour (edited 15 February 2003).]

No nsxtasy, get YOUR facts straight.

rolleyes.gif

You really don't know anything about the NSX, do you? You don't own one, right? I'll also guess that you've never driven one. So what is your purpose in posting on NSXprime - just to show how much you don't know? Just to try to criticize the NSX and diss NSX owners?

The MSRP is $89.7k.

So what? I can buy a new one any day of the week for $73,500. So that's what it costs.

Your continued use of the MSRP instead of the real selling price simply shows that you're trying to hide the facts, and shows that you don't want to discuss the reality of buying an NSX, you only want to insult the owners here.

your constant quoting of the $73k price just restates my point ...$90k is more than the majority are willing to pay for the car.

No, I quote the $73K price because that's what anyone can buy a new NSX for.

Quit trying to get the last word in.

Quit telling lies. Go hang out on a board for the car that you actually own, instead of coming here to toss your insults around.

hey midnighthour, i kinda like to consider the nsx price like an undervalued stock. the trend is away from the stock, so the msrp is not what it is currently selling for. However, once you buy it---you know youve got a winner.

ok, the stock analogy is kinda stoopid. However, youve really got to drive one a couple of times to understand. esp. if you drive the less than 100k competition. In the less than 100k range, you cant beat the overall package that is the nsx.

your points are generally correct imo. Currently the msrp is over what most people are willing to pay for it. Whereas in 91 some people were paying 90k plus.

Personally, I have a dilemma. I'd LIKE to own some other models but cant justify having two supercars at once. Unfortunately, Ive got the nsx and that has ruined me on vipers, lotus, vettes(not supercar but good perf.), and older ferraris(less than 100k).

I currently plan to hang on a couple of years, and probably see what NSX's up on me.
wink.gif
Maybe it'll be a new nsx with msrp and sales price that match
wink.gif

Huck, thanks for the first non-attacking reply to my comments. I agree with what you said. In the $70k range, I can't think of anything that I would rather have than a new NSX.

Everyone can agree that $90k is unrealistic for Honda since they have pretty much deliberately killed the market for the car.

I think "under $35-40k" is pretty ridiculous though. So the NSX is only a value at "under 35k"? That statement is probably what is inspiring argument.

Ken has a point that the 911 C2 takes absolutely none of this criticism and is somehow generally regarded as a great deal.

On a side note, I can't get a dealer in the NE to give me an 03 for $73.5k. I've gotten them to deal a bit on the leftover 02s (that they get $7.5k back from Honda on), but not on an 03. So the MSRP can matter.

[This message has been edited by spookyp (edited 15 February 2003).]

Yeh, the $35-40k was out of line because it wasn't even my true opinion. There's no other sports car under the $73k posted above that I would rather own. NSX just has that finess that no other vehicle has!

Well then I, for one, fully agree with ya. And incidentally, if *any* dealer reading this wants to buy my 1998 and sell me a 2003 for $73k, let's do this!

I am currently trying to sell my '00 NSX-T and many who inquired actually has said I am asking more than what they can get a new '02 for. They said they could get a new '02 for actually $71K up in Northern California. I believe them, too, which doesn't help my situation at all. I'm waiting for all the '02s to sell out so I can perhaps get close to my asking price which is $72K(my car only has 3300 miles on it). I plan to get an '03 or, if I could wait long enough, the second generation NSX if I like it.

Midnight Run, Ken is exactly right about the pricing of new NSXs. With over 8000 posts on this forum, by far more than anyone else, and his huge participation in the NSX community, I wouldn't argue against him. I enjoy seeing how passionately he defends the NSX against all attackers. He has also been very helpful to many forum members who needed assistance or informaton about their NSX. To me he is probably the authority on the NSX and I'm glad he is on our side.

------------------
'00 NSX-T, silverstone/blk, #252

I just read the review and I have to say, I didn't think it was that negative at all. They are right on about the horse power.
"If the 2003 Honda Accord V6 is making 240 hp and the $28,000 Nissan 350Z has 287 hp, spending nearly $90,000 to get 290 hp doesn't seem quite right"

I would agree. The NSX is competitive to 60, but it really gets blown away by the majority of EXOTIC cars to 100 MPH. Most do it in 10 or under these days. The NSX is still up around mid 11's. It falls off even more after that.

If the 911 GT3 comes out at a price point of $99K, Acura will really need to step up to the plate. The GT3 is 3.6L, 380 NA HP, 0-60 in 4.3 seconds and under 10 to 100. The NSX will get CREAMED by this car. I would think the NSX-R will even get wiped out by this thing.

Now, if the NSX was 3.6L and had NA 380HP, I think this review would have been nothing but praise.

The only thing I disagree with is about the interior. I think the NSX interior is nicer than ANY exoitc car I have ever been in. They say it looks dated and 80's. I would totally not agree. I have never been in a car that feels so PERFECT around the driver. Everything is right where it should be. However, I do think honda should dump the silly Tape deck and put in a CD player. I mean, how hard is that! Afterall, it is the year 2003... not 1990. Does anyone even use the tape deck??

Originally posted by CChung:
I'm waiting for all the '02s to sell out so I can perhaps get close to my asking price which is $72K(my car only has 3300 miles on it).

I wouldn't count on it.

I expect Honda to offer the same rebates on the '03 as they did on the '02; the only question in my mind is when. Even if they don't, I doubt that prices of used late-model NSXs are going to go up at all.

A member of this board has had a similar, super-low-mileage, immaculate-condition '00 listed on Autotrader for months at $64,500 and it is still unsold.

If I were selling your car, I would list it with an asking price around $64-65K and would be happy if I could get $60K for it.

Sorry if this dashes your hopes.

However, the bright side of this is that the prices on the new cars are so attractive. Since you're interested in getting an '03, you'll be getting a great price on your purchase (as noted above, I expect that you'll be able to buy an '03 for the same price as an '02; you might have to wait until later in the model year, though, depending on how long Honda waits before offering the dealer rebates).

Originally posted by CChung:
Midnight Run, Ken is exactly right about the pricing of new NSXs. With over 8000 posts on this forum, by far more than anyone else, and his huge participation in the NSX community, I wouldn't argue against him. I enjoy seeing how passionately he defends the NSX against all attackers. He has also been very helpful to many forum members who needed assistance or informaton about their NSX. To me he is probably the authority on the NSX and I'm glad he is on our side.

Gee, now I feel really bad for possibly being the bearer of bad news with my response above.
frown.gif
Oh well.

Originally posted by NetViper:
The NSX is competitive to 60, but it really gets blown away by the majority of EXOTIC cars to 100 MPH. Most do it in 10 or under these days. The NSX is still up around mid 11's. It falls off even more after that.

I don't agree with that, but it may depend on what you mean by "the majority of EXOTIC cars". If you're referring to the 360 Modena, the Diablo, the 911 Turbo, the Viper, and maybe the Z06, then you're right. However, the NSX will post competitive acceleration times (at all speeds) with virtually all other cars out there, including many with horsepower figures that dwarf those of the NSX.

Originally posted by NetViper:
Does anyone even use the tape deck??

Yes.

Hey Ken, no need to feel bad, I like your candor. I am absolutely in no rush to sell my car. What I'm actually hoping for is that all the new '02s get sold out now so the time in between then and when the rebate for the '03s start my car will be more attractively priced. I know I won't get what I'm asking but I'm hoping for high 60s. By the way, when did the rebate for the '02s start?

------------------
'00 NSX-T, silverstone/blk, #252

Back