• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Eight years of ownership and NOW she gets hit

Da Hapa are you keeping your NSX now? (off topic)

Sadly, no. She found a new home in N. Orange County a few weeks ago. Great guy and a real car enthusiast so I was glad to at least see her go to a good home. The new owner is adding it to a stable of a 986 Boxster S, full restored 1970 240Z and a new BMW X3.

You wouldn't believe what a hassle selling the NSX was. I literally almost threw up my hands at one point and just sold it to a dealer. I got so many bullshit inquiries from absolute idiots. I did talk to some good, reasonable people too but 8 out of 10 were morons.

You couldn't believe how many times I heard "I now a guy who bought a 2001 for $27,000... would you take the same". I even got one clown that offered me a motorcycle, big screen TV and cash for the NSX.

Luckily I found a great, mature owner and essentially got my price. I mean no disrespect to anyone here but the demographics for NSX ownership is changing... and it's not for the better.

But I do really miss the car already.

Back on topic - positive thoughts for Eric and getting his beautiful red NSX fixed quickly.

Glad she is home, I hope you feel better now.......Good luck.....Steve

For the most part, I'm happy, but think the bumper is a shade darker than the quarter panel (not entirely surprised given the difference in material). I think I'm going to bring it back to Bell's Auto in a couple of weeks to see if they can better match the bumper with the rest of the car.

The one thing I'm a bit curious about is the black lower valence. It is black, but not painted. I could have sworn that my original one was painted.

After my first NSX was stolen and replaced, it wasn't two weeks before I was rear ended while stopped at a red light, just enough to warrent repaint of the bumper. Makes me wonder about those 'perfect paint' folks;-)

Back in the saddle again!

The one thing I'm a bit curious about is the black lower valence. It is black, but not painted. I could have sworn that my original one was painted.

It was.

The difference in the bumper material has nothing to do with the color match with the quarter panel.

A panel is primed and sealed and once completely covered with the same paint it is the color of that paint. The belief that if you put the same paint on smooth aluminum, steel or plastic, glass, paper etc., apply enough coats to have full coverage and and it is somehow going to be different color because of the base material is false. The color is the color in the can.

Last edited:
the elastic stuff put in the paint for the bumper makes the color change over time. and is sprayed @ a different time this may be why diff in color.

Uh...keep in mind that both the panel and the bumper are new and were painted at the same time. There has to be another reason why the bumper and quarter panel are differing in color, right?

So the black on the lower valence should be painted? I'm not going crazy after all.

the elastic stuff put in the paint for the bumper makes the color change over time. and is sprayed @ a different time this may be why diff in color.

The flex agent does not change the color. It is a retarding agent and does not change the color. Some use it to flow out paint when it is drying too fast due to improper hardener/reducer temperature selection.

The bumper is not necessarily painted at a different time. In the factory I'd say yes but in the field I'd say it would likely be painted at the same time.

I wouldn't worry. I'm sure they'll see the problem and be happy to straighten it out.

So the black on the lower valence should be painted? I'm not going crazy after all.

Yes it was originally painted black. A low gloss black.
They probably taped off the valance and left that area in the original state it came in which is a very flat black.

Yes you are going crazy. Too late to be saved.:biggrin:

Bravo Collision is no longer an option...they no longer work on aluminum! Back in the hunt...

That's strange. My NSX recently got hit also (don't know where, parking lot somewhere. But I do travel on Hawthorne daily). South Bay Acura recommended me to Bravo in Torrance. Bravo said they do do aluminum work (2 weeks ago) and they estimated my car needed 5000$ in fixes. Anyways, I got a written estimate from an AAA immediate repair facility (HONDA service center on crenshaw) for 6300, took it to Downforce.. and insurance is taking care of me there. Your car looks great!! I'm glad it's fixed. I'm just suprised Bravo said that, and a few weeks later they told me they were experts with NSXs and aluminum.

Wow! I didn't see your original post. I'm glad that it turned out ok. I still remember the first time I saw your car at the OC monthly meet, when it was brand new. I still remember that grin on your face. I can't believe it's been 8 years already.

I'm just glad that you get to enjoy your car again. Hope to see you in the next local event. Take care!

I'm just suprised Bravo said that, and a few weeks later they told me they were experts with NSXs and aluminum.

Wow...what a difference a few weeks makes. Not sure what to make of this. Of course, when I first called them, the person originally taking my call said they deal with aluminum...

I'm just glad that you get to enjoy your car again. Hope to see you in the next local event. Take care!

I'm enjoying it while I have it, but in a week or two I'll be driving back down to Costa Mesa to get the bumper repainted and to see if I can get the lower valence painted.

Just met Eric in the parking deck when I was trying to find parking.... saw a glimpse of an NSX headlight between some parked cars as it was driving by...

His NSX is definitely clean... I couldn't notice any color differences under the fluorescent lights though. :)

Keep it clean bro! Nice meeting you... :D

Keep it clean bro! Nice meeting you... :D

Thanks...nice meeting you too Corey.

The paint does look different under the fluorescents...just need to see it from the right angles.

On your job, how much repair, straightening or welding done?

As for repairs, they just needed to replace parts including the rear side marker light, quarter panel, bumper, valence, and rim (the rim looked physically unharmed, but it wobbled funny when they checked the balance...I kept my original rim as a souvenir). I think they had to do something to fix one of the mounting points for the panel, since it got pulled out during the accident. I don't think any welding was involved.

There was no damage to the frame or to the suspension. Car feels great.

Back