• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Electric Power Steering??

x15

Registered Member
Hi People,

I just picked up my 91 NSX Mugen F1 Edition yesterday, and is something new to me.

I have read that the power steering is electric assisted.

However, whenever the car is stationary, i feel like there is no power steering, and the steering feel very heavy. When it gets going, ie after about 10km/h (or 6mph), steering feels good (ie like a normal steering assisted vehicle).

When i slow down for a corner and take it, the steering feels heavy again.

Is the steering characteristic on the NSXs supposed to feel something like this? If not, has anyone ever experience something like this? Could it be something to do with the electric motor controlling the power steering electrics?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1991 Manual transmission cars did not come with power steering.
The FAQ is very interesting and helpful resource for the NSX. It does explain the EPS here: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Technical/eps.htm
but as I said your car didn't come with it.
Could you post a pic of your car? I am supposing it has a Mugen kit on it, also not a factory option to my knowledge, and I would love to see it.
Welcome.

x15 said:
I have read that the power steering is electric assisted.
Perhaps you read this in an article about an NSX with automatic transmission, since all such NSXs have power steering. Or perhaps you read this in an article written in 1995 or later, when all NSXs (with the exception of special lightweight editions like the Zanardi NSX in the States) have had power steering.

x15 said:
I just picked up my 91 NSX Mugen F1 Edition yesterday
Mugen F1 Edition? Is that like here, where a dealer will put Type R or Type S logos on the car and ask thousands of dollars more when selling the car? :biggrin: (There was never a "Mugen F1 Edition" offered by Honda.)

x15 said:
Is the steering characteristic on the NSXs supposed to feel something like this?
Yes.

My '91 is an automatic and has power steering that you can steer with one finger from a dead stop....by contrast, my '94 is a manual and has MUCH heavier steering at a standstill.

Hi People,

Thanks for clearing it up for me. The only other NSX i have driven was a 92 Automatic which had the electric power steering, and after reading up about it somewhere that the NSXs came with the elctric power steering, i assumed that all of them did.

Well, this NSX that i just purchased was imported into Australia by one of the directors of Honda Australia a few years back. Apparently the F1 editions were specially modified NSXs by MUGEN with some tune up mods on it, namely the exhaust system (which has since been changed to a HKS Legal Muffler), intake system, Mugen "track" suspension, Mugen re-programmed ECU, 17/18" BBS wheels, and a re-trimmed "Mugen Tuning" Leather interior.

I dynoed it a few days ago on a Dynojet 248C dyno, and it made a SAE corrected power figure of 251.1hp and 190.6ft/lbs on a 20.6 deg day with 98 Octane pump fuel. From this figure, i guess the engine is pretty much a stocker.

I am unsure of how many NSXs were specially made by Mugen, as i cant find any info on the net too. I am just going by the letters that the previous owner provided to me from Honda Japan verifying the work that was done to the car.

Thanks again for all your info. I am really enjoying the car more and more each time i drive it! :biggrin:

Attachments

• nsxf1front01.jpg
    nsxf1front01.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 313
  • nsxf1front.jpg
    nsxf1front.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 313
  • nsxf1rear.jpg
    nsxf1rear.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 316
  • nsxf1int.jpg
    nsxf1int.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 313
Very Nice Car...Maybe the Mugen was just a Japanese only option for some early car. The inside is done very well with the Mugen logos and colours.

Please post some more close-up shots of the interior .

Great Car

Bram

x15 said:
Hi People,

Thanks for clearing it up for me. The only other NSX i have driven was a 92 Automatic which had the electric power steering, and after reading up about it somewhere that the NSXs came with the elctric power steering, i assumed that all of them did.

Well, this NSX that i just purchased was imported into Australia by one of the directors of Honda Australia a few years back. Apparently the F1 editions were specially modified NSXs by MUGEN with some tune up mods on it, namely the exhaust system (which has since been changed to a HKS Legal Muffler), intake system, Mugen "track" suspension, Mugen re-programmed ECU, 17/18" BBS wheels, and a re-trimmed "Mugen Tuning" Leather interior.

I dynoed it a few days ago on a Dynojet 248C dyno, and it made a SAE corrected power figure of 251.1hp and 190.6ft/lbs on a 20.6 deg day with 98 Octane pump fuel. From this figure, i guess the engine is pretty much a stocker.

I am unsure of how many NSXs were specially made by Mugen, as i cant find any info on the net too. I am just going by the letters that the previous owner provided to me from Honda Japan verifying the work that was done to the car.

Thanks again for all your info. I am really enjoying the car more and more each time i drive it! :biggrin:

jgtcnsx said:
the engine bay come stock like that??? wow the speedometer goes to 320km :wink: very nice.

I spruced up the engine bay with some red paint and red sillicon hoses. :tongue: Engine bay was pretty stock when i got it apart from the air intake. Filter was a bit dirty so i changed it to a Blitz SUS C1 filter.

Speedo is a Spoon Sports item. :smile:

Back