• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Email change

Re: Gmail account not acceptable? Let's grow up, shall we?

I've had Earthlink as my ISP and I could not be happier. They've been great in every way. Unlike my earlier ISP's, which kept changing domain names on me.

exactly...never a hickup in 14 years......:cool:

I've started using gmail since it has some superior features and keeps my cell email sync'd. I went to update my nsxprime email address and it said gmail address is unacceptable...to prevent evil.

Probably a great rule for 1998, but I think we might want to adapt to the way email is currently being used by folks with pigment left in their hair.

:biggrin:

Anyone else in this situ?

Yes. Same as you. Would like to have GMail account linked to Prime. GMail will eventually become my only EMail account. Times do change, along with the pigment in my hair!

Oh sweet irony! When I went to donate to Lud for support Prime, his PayPal account was, in fact, a gmail account.

I've started using gmail since it has some superior features and keeps my cell email sync'd. I went to update my nsxprime email address and it said gmail address is unacceptable...to prevent evil.

Probably a great rule for 1998, but I think we might want to adapt to the way email is currently being used by folks with pigment left in their hair.

:biggrin:

Anyone else in this situ?

I realize the inconvenience it can present, and I have personally been using gmail since the early beta days when invitations were still in very short supply.

At the same time, I am also pretty sure anyone else who runs a mid-sized public message forum by themselves understands why I have chosen to ban free webmail accounts, even if they don't do the same on their forums.

Either way, it is a decision I made with a full understanding of the implications and the "way e-mail is currently being used."

I realize the inconvenience it can present, and I have personally been using gmail since the early beta days when invitations were still in very short supply.

At the same time, I am also pretty sure anyone else who runs a mid-sized public message forum by themselves understands why I have chosen to ban free webmail accounts, even if they don't do the same on their forums.

Either way, it is a decision I made with a full understanding of the implications and the "way e-mail is currently being used."

I have never run a small/mid/large sized public forum. Would you share why you came to that decision? :confused:

I have never run a small/mid/large sized public forum. Would you share why you came to that decision? :confused:

Many reasons large and small which essentially all boil down to reducing problems from spammers and bogus / duplicate accounts. While it does not prevent them, it both deters and makes them easier to identify.

The problem is, I'm in Grad School so right now I do have an "valid" email account. I have an ISP but couldn't even begin to tell you what my email address there is as I don't use it but have had cable for about 5 years. I do, however, use a gmail account as my primary email account. This way if Cable were to irritate me or FIOS were far cheaper than my current cable, I could switch providers without having to send out all of those pesky "my new email address" emails. I, too, have used GMAIL since the BETA days and will continue to use it as my primary until the service goes away.

I guess what I'm trying to say is....once Grad school is done and they delete that email account (which is forwarded to my GMAIL account) Prime will no longer have a way to get in touch with me via email anymore! As I won't have a "valid" email address that is not a free email.

I think it could be cool if you needed a non-free address to sign up for an account, but then the system would let you change your email address to one of the free ones after your account is verified, or perhaps after you've been a member for a certain amount of time or number of posts. People wouldn't even need to be told about the details of it, which would help prevent the problems we're trying to avoid, but allow regular users and long time members the ability to use whatever email they want.

OR perhaps make that a 'perk' of being a paid member. There's all kinds of options, but they probably all require some custom vbulletin coding. :rolleyes:

The problem is, I'm in Grad School so right now I do have an "valid" email account. I have an ISP but couldn't even begin to tell you what my email address there is as I don't use it but have had cable for about 5 years. I do, however, use a gmail account as my primary email account. This way if Cable were to irritate me or FIOS were far cheaper than my current cable, I could switch providers without having to send out all of those pesky "my new email address" emails. I, too, have used GMAIL since the BETA days and will continue to use it as my primary until the service goes away.

I guess what I'm trying to say is....once Grad school is done and they delete that email account (which is forwarded to my GMAIL account) Prime will no longer have a way to get in touch with me via email anymore! As I won't have a "valid" email address that is not a free email.

I suggest digging up the info on the e-mail provided by your ISP before you are done with grad school.

I think it could be cool if you needed a non-free address to sign up for an account, but then the system would let you change your email address to one of the free ones after your account is verified, or perhaps after you've been a member for a certain amount of time or number of posts. People wouldn't even need to be told about the details of it, which would help prevent the problems we're trying to avoid, but allow regular users and long time members the ability to use whatever email they want.

OR perhaps make that a 'perk' of being a paid member. There's all kinds of options, but they probably all require some custom vbulletin coding. :rolleyes:

Yes, you are right that there are probably a thousand ways it could work, many of them better. But the way the software works is that there is a single global list of banned addresses. That's it. I'm not going to modify the code and that is the policy I have decided on, so until the software is provides more flexibility that's just how it is.

I just created an email account on my webhost ([email protected]) and all it does is forwards everything to my gmail account

Hi

That is what I did too. I can set up as many alias as needed. So mails to 91nsx at bergvill dot com is sent to my gmail account.

Then it is put in the NSXPrime folder on Gmail. And then the mail is sent to another emailaccount. Which then sends a sms to my cellphone with 160 characters of the mail. I can then download that mail to my cellphone if I want to based on the 160 characters I get of the message.

Very nice. It does not cost me much to own bergvill dot com and have this service.

Regards

I suggest digging up the info on the e-mail provided by your ISP before you are done with grad school.

Unfortunately I don't foresee that happening. I'm not going to look through records from 5 years ago, that have probably been discarded, just to set up an email account that I'm not going to use.

The nice thing, however, is that I'm a frequent visitor and there is a PM indicator on the forums to let me know there is one waiting.

Unfortunately I don't foresee that happening. I'm not going to look through records from 5 years ago, that have probably been discarded, just to set up an email account that I'm not going to use.

The nice thing, however, is that I'm a frequent visitor and there is a PM indicator on the forums to let me know there is one waiting.

Who said you had to dig? Call them and you'll have the account accessible through the web interfact within minutes. Then, you can forward THAT to your Gmail. Problem solved.

Who said you had to dig? Call them and you'll have the account accessible through the web interfact within minutes. Then, you can forward THAT to your Gmail. Problem solved.

Like I said, that is alot of trouble...on hold with Comcast for 10-15 minutes (they are never quick about picking up the phone), for an email account that I'm not going to use. There is a reason I use gmail for email services and that is detailed above. If I had wanted a Comcast account I would have set one up when I got the service.

I respect Lud's decision not to allow "generic" email accounts, but at the same time I ask that my choice to use "generic" email accounts be respected too.

I have a grad school email, for now, and that was sufficient enough to get me registered on this site. Like I said, once it's gone there is the PM indicator to let me know if someone is trying to contact me privately.

Like I said, that is alot of trouble...on hold with Comcast for 10-15 minutes (they are never quick about picking up the phone), for an email account that I'm not going to use. There is a reason I use gmail for email services and that is detailed above. If I had wanted a Comcast account I would have set one up when I got the service.

I respect Lud's decision not to allow "generic" email accounts, but at the same time I ask that my choice to use "generic" email accounts be respected too.

I have a grad school email, for now, and that was sufficient enough to get me registered on this site. Like I said, once it's gone there is the PM indicator to let me know if someone is trying to contact me privately.

Id say if you arent willing to put in any effort to resolve the issue hen why would you expect Lud to?

Id say if you arent willing to put in any effort to resolve the issue hen why would you expect Lud to?

I'm not the originator of the thread. Just stating the facts of my situation, which are pertinent to the thread content and I'm sure not unique. I never asked Lud to change anything.

Last edited:
Re: email change please

Hello Lud,

I have tried this before and received the following
The e-mail address you entered is not acceptable for automated registration on this forum because it is either a free web-based service, has a name too similar to a free web-based service, or is from a domain that has a lot of spammers. Go back and read the rules displayed before clicking "I have read, and agree to abide by the NSX Prime rules" - for more information, as well as information on how to proceed.

Is it a universal rule not to allow gmail based email on nsxprime.com?

Re: email change please

I would also like to transition into using my gmail account if possible.

Back