• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Emissions Testing

Is an emissions test required every 2 years on a car over 10 years old here in Ontario ? I'm up for a license renewal and they require another emissions test ( had it done in '05).

Will Erin Mills do this or is it better to go to Canadian Tire ? Waited 1 hr. and 30 min at Erin mills 2 weeks ago and they never looked at my car......... (Had an appointment and still wasted the morning)

Thanks

Is an emissions test required every 2 years on a car over 10 years old here in Ontario ? I'm up for a license renewal and they require another emissions test ( had it done in '05).

Will Erin Mills do this or is it better to go to Canadian Tire ? Waited 1 hr. and 30 min at Erin mills 2 weeks ago and they never looked at my car......... (Had an appointment and still wasted the morning)

Thanks

I just take mine to the jiffy lube nearby that does them. I book it and am out of there in 20 minutes.

Did mine at Mufflerman, they ran a 2 step idle becuase it has traction control and rear wheel drive, I didn't argue took about 30mins in and out.... :cool:

Found out that any Non-historical vehicle has to be tested following the table below:

Registration Renewal Due Model Years of Light Duty Vehicles to Be Tested
2006 2001 1999 1997 1995 1993 1991 1989 1987
2007 2002 2000 1998 1996 1994 1992 1990 1988

Historical being at least 30 years old !

Alas...in 2026 my NSX will be exempt !!!:eek:

The idiots at Canadian Tire couldn't find a place to ground on my engine. They also went to go open the front for the engine... so that was the last time I went there.

I normally go to HC Automotive at 50 Doncaster Ave, Unit 6 in Thornhill. (Near Yonge+Steeles). (905) 731-6065

They can be helpful if you are on the edge.

Emissions testing?

Haha!

I knew the Alberta comment was coming....you going to stab us on that provincial tax too !!! Good news is that we'll now only pay 5% more than you.....
but we don't have chinooks interfere withour NSX cruises ;)

there are a million places in the city to go to and get it done .....

I know. Just asking about other experiences Zak ( like Arshads' where they couldn't find the engine at Canadian Tire)

Did mine at Mufflerman, they ran a 2 step idle becuase it has traction control and rear wheel drive, I didn't argue took about 30mins in and out.... :cool:

Just bumping an old thread because of this comment. I had my e-test done today at the same place that did it two years ago (Express Test in Mississauga). Two years ago they did a normal test, today they did a 2-speed idle test. The guy working there said basically the same thing about TC. Not sure why they did the regular test two years ago, but I wonder if someone can verify which is the correct process for our cars? Do we have any licensed e-testers floating around? (I've already contact Rob as well)

I plan on keeping a copy of this test in the glove box so any other time I need a test I can show proof that the car gets the 2-speed idle test and not the standard rolling one.

This bump is very timely. I need one done soon and looking for places for 2 step idle.

Any recommended shops in North York/Richmond Hill area?

Arshad, thanks for recommending Sterna Acura, I may head up there if I can't find anything more closer by?

Last edited:
Owen,
Markham Auto Repair 16 Laidlaw Blvd Markham are quick and efficient, just call them to book a time, they did mine in 20mins. 905 472 5110.
Also there is a place on John St just west of Aileen that I used previously...can look up exact name if you want.
Lionel

This bump is very timely. I need one done soon and looking for places for 2 step idle.

Any recommended shops in North York/Richmond Hill area?

Arshad, thanks for recommending Sterna Acura, I may head up there if I can't find anything more closer by?

Owen,

Give me a shout when you head up for yours and I'll join with mine. I'm not due until December but the emission test is valid for 12 months before you have to do them again. Might as well get it over with so when I renew the plates in the winter I don't have to do it then.

I knew the Alberta comment was coming....you going to stab us on that provincial tax too !!! Good news is that we'll now only pay 5% more than you.....
but we don't have chinooks interfere withour NSX cruises ;)

I know. Just asking about other experiences Zak ( like Arshads' where they couldn't find the engine at Canadian Tire)

Chinooks are what make cruises possible in the middle of winter with dry roads.

Back