• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine Cover seems not properly replaced

Hello, I'm taking a chance in this forum to get some idea why my engine cover would not be placed properly. Here is a picture of what I mean:eek:.

By the way, I'm a new NSX owner (94 with 55k)

DSC03067.JPG

DSC03070.JPG

thanks for any feedback,

Looks like whoever replaced the timing belt/water pump last, didn't put the timing belt cover back on properly.

Put some duct tape over that opening if you are using the car now until it is fixed. If some crap gets in there and between a belt cog, it may cause the belt to jump a notch. We certainly do not want that to happen! :eek:

Is it hard to replace?

You shouldn't have to replace it, just loosen the bolts holding it on and try to bend it (carefully) under the valve cover. If it looks like the gasket is still there (should be a rubber gasket on top of that plastic cover) you should be OK. There won't be any oil leaks because of the TB cover, but it's there to keep dirt and contaminants out from around the belt and pulleys. If you can't get it to go under the valve cover you'll have to remove the valve cover, reposition the TB cover and then reinstall the valve cover. Since you are new to this car, I will add that you are dealing with aluminum, so overtightening/overtorquing bolts is a big NO-NO. Spark plugs especially need to be torqued to spec. You can really get yourself into costly trouble by forcing things. So be careful, be patient.
Happy Motoring!

Last edited:
The valve covers are magnesium, be even more careful as they are brittle.

Thanks a lot, I will use my torque wrench to follow service manual spec.

Back