• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

engine error code with bbsc

i recently purchased a 97 with bbsc and came up with a check engine light yesterday, the codes were 45 and 46. are these typical from the sc, or do i need to be concerned? i reset the clock fuse to see if it woulod trip it again and it didnt. thanks for any input.
woody

AS I RECALL I WAS IN 2ND GEAR , ACCELERATING, BUT NOT FULL THROTTLE. THE EVENT SEEMED TO TAKE PLACE AT THE SAME TIME THE CAR HIT A BUMP WHICH MADE ME WONDER IF IT WAS THE JARRING OF SOMETHING ELECTRICAL THAT TRIPPED THE LIGHT. THE TCS DID NOT KICK ON FROM THE BUMP. THE CODES SIGNIFY EITHER
P0171
System Too Lean, Rear Bank (Bank 1)

P0172
System Too Rich, Rear Bank (Bank 1)

P0174
System Too Lean, Front Bank (Bank 2)

P0175
System Too Rich, Front Bank (Bank 2)
I GUESS I NEED TO WAIT AND SEE IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN, BUT I AM CONCERNED ABOUT DETONATION IF THE CODE IS ACCURATE AND I HAVE LEAN ISSUES.
THANKS FOR THE INPUT,
WOODY

LATEST MAP

MARK FORWARDED A NEW MAP TO JOE MARTINEZ IN TAMPA WHO LOADED IT BEFORE I PICKED UP THE CAR. SO I BELIEVE I AM RUNNING THE LATEST POST "KILLER II" MAP
WOODY

Thats interesting to know there are check codes about rich and lean, I knew there were several but not those exact ones. Now I am thinking when I get my "once a week" (average) check light, maybe its one of those instead of crank sensor from the TMC1.

is it normal to trip the check engine light on a weekly basis? also the list of error codes is on nsxhelp.com

WOODY said:
is it normal to trip the check engine light on a weekly basis? also the list of error codes is on nsxhelp.com
In CA, you couldn't get that car smogged. CEL is an automatic failure. My CTSC and Dinan SC don't throw CELs ever.

Sig said:
Number9,

My dad can beat up your dad :)
Funny stuff. But seriously, the CEL indicates that something that affects emissions is out of whack. Could be trivial, could be serious, e.g., overrich condition could result in cylinder wash, leading to major issues. A properly operating system won't trigger them, so if you're triggering them regularly, something is definitely amiss. And you will fail smog check in CA if your CEL is on...

Last edited:
Black&Tan97Tnewportbeach said:
I heard about this terrible smog check guy. He costs like $150 and he's always checking the wrong car. I would NEVER go to him!
LOL! You need to hook me up and then I can dump the cats and run track pipes. :D

Actually I know it's a bad idea to keep the car with a setup where the CEL pops up often. I am yanking my NSXM turbo and getting Gerry Johnson to do a fullblown 'makeover magic' as soon as he has a slot open for me, we are talking in days\weeks.

On the pos tip, I just got back from our NOC-List OrtegaII run, I drove about 230 miles today with no CEL, I didn't go over 5000 RPMs. Climbing Palomar I was last and had trouble keeping up with the pack. I know the feel of this motor, and I don't strain it when its not diggin the hot hot hot sunny daytime intake air. Maybe thats why I'm in the Guiness book of world records for the longest MSXMortified turbo not blowing up. Mine has never blown up, its been on for about 15 months, all I gotta do is make it to Modesto and I will be famous forever! (Theres no other NSXM's left)

Last edited:
spurcr

It is neither mornal nor acceptable to have a weekly MIL with a BBSC. Joe either got the wrong file, loaded it incorrectly, or has another problem. As Herteic and about every other 97 and later user of BBSC can tell you, the latest tuning files have fixed all fuel trim relayed issues. (I must admit there are a few OBDI cars with a code 12- egr- MIL issue) No more 45, 46, or any MILS's at all, AFAIK.

As mentioned in the next (or two ) posts, baschboost.com is going live this week, and will have a tech help needed section which I will answer daily, at least. Right now, between spam, and all the other junk mail, PLUS, [email protected] is a publis e-addy (all BAS customers in our waiting room have access to that aol account while waiting for service which causes alot of spam in return).

Cheers,
MB

Woody, I'm actually suffering the same fate with my 97. I am about to upload the new program this weekend.
I found a trick to prevent the code from coming up but it's not a
solution, just makes things easier.
E-mail direct if interested. DH

Re: LATEST MAP

WOODY said:
MARK FORWARDED A NEW MAP TO JOE MARTINEZ IN TAMPA WHO LOADED IT BEFORE I PICKED UP THE CAR. SO I BELIEVE I AM RUNNING THE LATEST POST "KILLER II" MAP
WOODY

I was unaware the there is another "general" update to killer (killer 2) Maybe this is for the odb2 cars only. Can anyone clarify?

the latest obdll is the "drdan" i beleive. i am not sure if the obdl is using the same map

Re: spurcr

NSXTech said:
...Right now, between spam, and all the other junk mail, ...

There is a program called IHateSpam that I highly recommend. It integrates directly with Outlook and Outlook Express. Right now it is $19 from the web site www.IHateSpam.com OR you can actually buy it at Amazon.Com and they have a $20 rebate so you can actualy MAKE A $1 buying the software!

:eek:

Hope this helps Mark - I get so few opportunities to help someone like you on a car board!

:cool:

Back