• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine Hatch Struts SOS install?

I heard the install was pretty easy? I just ordered the SOS trunk struts so it should be here by next week and is there a link for instructions? tools needed? etc Thanks :)

Edit: Engine Hatch strut :)

Last edited:
The engine hatch should be even easier. Just make sure someone is helping you hold the hatch up while you remove and install the strut. As I recall, the SOS struts have a higher travel; therefore, you will need to remove both old struts prior to installing the SOS struts.

I recommend 3 people. One to hold the hatch, one to install the strut, and one to hold the beer.:biggrin: Should take less than 30 minutes.

So I would def need to have 2 people to do the job?

do it all the time just myself. its a brisk job.

one struct at a time.

you have to loosen them both at the same time due to SOS's longer stroke.

happy motoring

Rob :smile:

just installed the struts by myself. Unused some rope to hold the hatch up prior to removing the struts. The hardest part was taking out the stripped screw that secures the cover for the heater wires. Be careful with those three screws. If you have an older car, it is likely that they are tight.

just installed the struts by myself. Unused some rope to hold the hatch up prior to removing the struts. The hardest part was taking out the stripped screw that secures the cover for the heater wires. Be careful with those three screws. If you have an older car, it is likely that they are tight.

+1! My screws were too damn tight... So I just had the dealer put these on for me... I love the look of the silver too! I replaced both my trunk and engine hatch struts. Couldn't be happier with them! :D

Hi

I replaced both trunk and engine struts. I was alone. I don't think I had any issues. I was carefull though not to drop anything,

I do think that it said in the "manual" that I had to extend the wires on the engine struts. But I did not have to do anything.

I can't find the mail I sent to SOS about it now. But the european NSX may be a little different than the US and I did not have to do it because of that.

I had no beer holdning person. No beer comes near my NSX :biggrin:

Regards

I just installed mine tonight. Good news is that they are in and work great! Bad news is that I wrecked the Phillips head on one of the screws securing the heater wire cover (it was tight after 17 years!). Anybody know how I can get ahold of a new screw? What about a new cover?

I just installed mine tonight. Good news is that they are in and work great! Bad news is that I wrecked the Phillips head on one of the screws securing the heater wire cover (it was tight after 17 years!). Anybody know how I can get ahold of a new screw? What about a new cover?

An Acura dealer can order them for you.

So I would def need to have 2 people to do the job?

Yup, you will need to get your wife or girl friend to help you. What you will want to do is get her to hold up the back window, or trunk if you are doing it, and then get behind her and while she has both arms holding up the window or trunk, reach around her from behind and with both hands grab her boobs.:biggrin: Now, be sure not to take off one of the struts before doing that or she might drop it. You may have to wait for another day to change the strut though, on second thought this really isn't a good idea.

Anyway, when you are changing the strut you will think of this technique. I can run faster SCARED :eek: than my wife can MAD.:mad:

Brad

My car came with a 3-foot tomato stake to hold up the hatch or trunk. It worked for the PO for years.
I like OLDMNSX's idea better, though.
By the way, you guys should consider Frank Irvine at Strutwise. Recharging is economical and you stay OEM.

Back