• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine Mount Bolt Torque Sequence

The 3.0 is back in, but the aft engine mount is offset approximately 1 cm to the passenger side. The SM mentions a torque sequence, says bushing life is reduced and excessive vibration can occur if not properly done, but shows no sequence. I am unable to open the Wiki SM. Anyone know the order?

Shudda searched first. Found it here.

I was equally confused when I did my clutch last summer in my '96. The best info I found was in section 5, engine removal/installation, of the '95 manual. For compensating for the mounts aging & the engine being tilted during belt installation, it probably makes sense to loosen the through-bolts on all 4 mounts slightly, then tighten in this sequence (starting on page 5-12 of the '95 manual). My comments in [ ]'s for the front and rear mounts, for which you would loosen the through bolts only.

1. Tighten rear mount on transmission side, through mounting bolt loose [Loosen this through mounting bolt a turn or two]
2. Tighten front mount bolts to engine, tighten through bolt. [Loosen this through mounting bolt a turn or two, then torque to 56 lb-ft]
3. (not applicable here - subframe bolts)
4. Tighten transmission mount bolts, through mounting bolt loose
5. Install side engine mount; tighten bolts to engine, then the bolt into the frame. Torque 53 lb ft to engine; 69 lb ft to frame.
6. Torque the transmission mount bolt (69 lb-ft) [finishes step 4]
7. Torque the rear engine mount bolt (56 lb ft) [finishes step 1]

Last edited:
Some time to look at the engine from below and think out the geometry got me relooking at the passenger engine mount...I installed it upside down. Easy to do. Fixed.

Good to bring up. I was troubleshooting excessive clutch chattering and remembered old threads from LarryB saying to tighten the rear engine mount through bolt last... like your step 7 above.

Dave

Thanks for posting about this. I'm about to reinstall my motor, and didn't even consider this. I'll be sure to go through the process now.

Mike B

Torque sequence is as follows (all center bolts/nuts loose): Front, Right, Left, Rear.
With Front center bolt you will set longitudinal position of the engine. With Right (engine mount) you will set lateral position. Then with Left (transmission mount) you will lock lateral and with Rear (transmission mount) you will lock long positions. So that's pretty much it. Do it right and you won't have bushings/rubber under tension. When twisted/under tension engine mount will not be able to absorb vibrations and will fail prematurely.

Torque sequence is as follows (all center bolts/nuts loose): Front, Right, Left, Rear.
With Front center bolt you will set longitudinal position of the engine. With Right (engine mount) you will set lateral position. Then with Left (transmission mount) you will lock lateral and with Rear (transmission mount) you will lock long positions. So that's pretty much it. Do it right and you won't have bushings/rubber under tension. When twisted/under tension engine mount will not be able to absorb vibrations and will fail prematurely.

Thanks Roman, your explanation makes sense!

Mike B

Back