• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine power issues after carwash

Last year I started having an issue with the engine. It's hard to explain but basically engine losing power and sounds weird(like not running on all cylinder) when it's under load and more than 1/4 throttle. Anything under 1/4 throttle is fine. This year I realized that this only happens after I wash the car. Strangely I don't spray the engine bay or under the hood. Any ideas were to start looking to try and figure out the problem.

I would start simple by checking your engine hatch seal for any rips and check for a good seal. Might need to adjust the hatch. Even if you don't spray the engine compartment directly water can still get in via the rear hatch area and air inlet. Especially if you are using a pressure washer. Could collect on valve covers or other parts and might be shorting somewhere? Do you wash via bucket or pressure washer?

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/193944-water-leaking-into-engine-bay

I can't see any issues with the seal and the hatch appears to be aligned correctly. I do rinse of with a pressure washer and next time I wash it I will check the engine compartment for any signs of water. even if there is a problem with the seal there is still another problem somewhere. If a tiny bit of water makes it run like that I'd hate to seen it in the rain.

Happens to me all the time.... it's usually the rear bank cylinders where water got into the spark plugs.

Just pull the coil packs out and let it dry. Next time when u wash just place plastic over that area.
What do you do when it rains. Or are you like me and don't drive in the rain

There is a rubber strip on the medial side of the cover for the coilpacks. You might try replacing that, lubricating with silicone grease, and then ensuring that the cover is properly tightened. The rear-bank cover is where to look.

Contamination of the nose of the ignition coils due to the presence of water and dirt can result in ignition misfires. Since your car is a 2000, normally you would expect significant misfires to result in engine trouble codes which you could pull up with an OBDII reader. You haven't reported a CEL so presumably you are not triggering the OBD II misfire codes.

To rule out contamination of the coils and sparkplugs by water and dirt, you need to remove the ignition coils and sparkplugs from the engine and inspect them. Any trace of water with or without dirt in the sparkplug recess is a bad sign. Inspect the coil nose and spark plug insulators for tracking. If you find tracking, you have the likely cause of your problem. You can try cleaning the nose of the coil to remove tracking; but, the sure solution is replacement. If you have moisture in the plug recesses, time to inspect the gasket on the ignition coil cover.

The pictures in the post you linked to are no longer available.

Contamination of the nose of the ignition coils due to the presence of water and dirt can result in ignition misfires. Since your car is a 2000, normally you would expect significant misfires to result in engine trouble codes which you could pull up with an OBDII reader. You haven't reported a CEL so presumably you are not triggering the OBD II misfire codes.

To rule out contamination of the coils and sparkplugs by water and dirt, you need to remove the ignition coils and sparkplugs from the engine and inspect them. Any trace of water with or without dirt in the sparkplug recess is a bad sign. Inspect the coil nose and spark plug insulators for tracking. If you find tracking, you have the likely cause of your problem. You can try cleaning the nose of the coil to remove tracking; but, the sure solution is replacement. If you have moisture in the plug recesses, time to inspect the gasket on the ignition coil cover.

I do get 1 CEL but never at the same time and I believe is due to the fact I no longer have cats. I do have the J pipe which is supposed to stop the CEL but I still get it a hand full of times per year. the CEL is P0170

When I click on the attachments it says invalid attachment.

I cannot stress how correct batmans and Bram are. I had to use a lil Hondabond to secure the weatherstrip in place for the rear bank. Every time I tried installing the coil pack cover without it, the seal would move. Just a few dollops here and there is all ya need.

Thank you all for your feedback. I will make sure the rear bank cover is sealed properly and next time i wash it I will see if water is making it to that location.

Back