• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine sometimes won't crank. Ignition switch issue?

So I have an issue where the engine sometimes won't crank. It was happening before and so I went and changed the main relay thinking that might be the issue. After doing that my car would start strong so it seemed to fix the problem.

However, the last two days I've been having this issue again. The first time I try and start my car, nothing happens. There's power to my radio and everything but no noise from the engine. Turn the key to off, pull the key and try again. This can happen multiple times before I get the car started. I THINK that if I turn off the AC and radio and crank it it seems to help but I'm not entirely sure.

I imagine it's not the main relay because I replaced that less than a month and a half ago. Is this an ignition switch issue? I didn't see anyone mention this in the wiki as I seem to get power just fine to my dash.

Thanks in advance.

Just had this a few days ago. Pulled the ignition switch, blasted it with electrical contact cleaner, and put in some white lithium grease for good measure. Issue went away immediately!

Just had this a few days ago. Pulled the ignition switch, blasted it with electrical contact cleaner, and put in some white lithium grease for good measure. Issue went away immediately!

I believe lithium grease is like dielectric grease and is a non conductor.
It also hardens over time
It may not be the best item to use on sliding contacts like an ignition switch.

I didn't put it on the contacts itself, just in the little well where the long rod from the tumbler clicks in. Totally optional. But the contact cleaner on the contacts - definitely NOT optional!!!

Sounds like an ignition switch to me. Had that problem before took it apart clean and put back work like a charm. :smile:

FWIW - the clutch must be disengaged for the car to start, which is controlled by a switch on the clutch lever that presses against a small plastic button. If the button breaks or is partially dislodged from its mount, then switch doesn't close and the ECU thinks the clutch is still engaged and will not allow the car to start. I've seen broken clutch switch buttons cause erratic starting issues on two different NSXs.

It may be worth a look-see....

Last edited:
do you here a "click" and the engine doesn't turn over or is the engine spinning and not starting?

FWIW - the clutch must be disengaged for the car to start, which is controlled by a switch on the clutch lever that presses against a small plastic button. If the button breaks or is partially dislodged from its mount, then switch doesn't close and the ECU thinks the clutch is still engaged and will not allow the car to start. I've seen broken clutch switch buttons cause erratic starting issues on two different NSXs.

It may be worth a look-see....

I've got an auto so I reckon that's not the issue.

do you here a "click" and the engine doesn't turn over or is the engine spinning and not starting?

There's no turning over. I had an issue where it'd spin and take a little longer to start but that seems to have been resolved by the new Main relay.

Seems like everyone's saying my ignition switch probably needs cleaning so I'll try that out first.

And if that doesn't work, get your starter contacts replaced (symptom: you hear a "click", but won't crank. Part is about $16).

Took my car in to Driving Ambition today for TB/WP and Shad said it might be the parking sensor since I have an automatic. It apparently started right up when it was in neutral so hopefully with a clean switch or new switch that won't be an issue anymore.

Back