• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"eps Light"

I have had the same problem in the past with my automatic NSX. Reset it by pulling and replacing the clock fuse. When this stops working it is time for a new speed sensor. Bad data from the speed sensor will cause the EPS to shut off. Since I replaced my speed sensor the problem has not returned. It is probably NOT the electronic box in the passenger floorboard. I tried replacing mine before someone steered me in the right direction of replacing the speed sensor.

Incidentally, the speed sensor affects a lot of other blinky lights also. 1TITENSX, it sounds to me like your speed sensor needs replacing. I bumped the old thread to the top for those who are interested.

Jett said:
I have had the same problem in the past with my automatic NSX. Reset it by pulling and replacing the clock fuse. When this stops working it is time for a new speed sensor. Bad data from the speed sensor will cause the EPS to shut off. Since I replaced my speed sensor the problem has not returned. It is probably NOT the electronic box in the passenger floorboard. I tried replacing mine before someone steered me in the right direction of replacing the speed sensor.

Incidentally, the speed sensor affects a lot of other blinky lights also. 1TITENSX, it sounds to me like your speed sensor needs replacing. I bumped the old thread to the top for those who are interested.

Is this easy to replace? How long does it take?

1TITENSX said:
and the speedometer dancing around everywhere :eek:

Definately the speed sensor in the trans, or a loose wire to it:).

Not too hard to change. From the top take off the complete air filter/housing and the black control box located just to the rear of the air filter/housing (leave the hoses to the control box connected and swing it up on top of the engine). The speed sensor is sitting on top of the differential housing, one bolt holds it in. You will wrestle a little get it out (it sits in the bore with an o-ring) but it will come out. Good gloves are worth a lot for this job:).

HTH,
LarryB

Larry Bastanza said:
Definately the speed sensor in the trans, or a loose wire to it:).

Not too hard to change. From the top take off the complete air filter/housing and the black control box located just to the rear of the air filter/housing (leave the hoses to the control box connected and swing it up on top of the engine). The speed sensor is sitting on top of the differential housing, one bolt holds it in. You will wrestle a little get it out (it sits in the bore with an o-ring) but it will come out. Good gloves are worth a lot for this job:).

HTH,
LarryB

Larry, the light came back and I jumped the wires on the test connection and came up with code 33 on the EPS (speed sensor signal). If I order a new speed sensor, do I need to order the o-ring that you mentioned?

I also get four blinks on the 'D' light...what does that mean :confused:

Also, there are two speed sensors...what's the difference between the two?

4319Slide11-med.JPG

Last edited:
I replaced the speed sensor but I am still getting a flashing drive light and the eps light comes on. I've tried pulling the clock fuse and the symptoms return :mad: I have noticed that the speedometer isn't moving around everywhere. I'll pull the code later on tonight.

The code came up as 9 flashes (faulty NC sensor) on the D light and 33 for EPS = Speed Sensor. Larry, LOL..I'm thinking I replaced the wrong sensor. I noticed you said one bolt to get the speed sensor out and the one I replaced had 3 bolts holding it in. I also noticed the pics of the sensor in post #31 vs #33 seem to be different parts...I am correct right :confused:

I think I should have ordered parts 11, 12 and 18. This looks like the NC sensor in post #31. From the parts list, its is called the main pick-up assembly.

13SL00_ATM0701.gif

Last edited:
Sakura is sick again. :frown: EPS lit on and speedo died. D light is flashing and power steering is disabled. How do I check for codes to find out which sensor is bad? And how much do each one cost? Time is limited and I'm preparing for a blind date.

Last edited:
Jin1976 said:
Sakura is sick again. :frown: EPS lit on and speedo died. D light is flashing and power steering is disabled. How do I check for codes to find out which sensor is bad? And how much do each one cost? Time is limited and I'm preparing for a blind date.

You'll need to look under the dash on the passenger side for a blue harness connection. Then you jump the connection with a piece of wire and turn the ignition on. I don't have the service manual on me now but I believe this procedure is located in the beginning of the automatic transmission portion of the service manual. Note the number of times for the D light blinking and for the EPS light blinking. For the appropriate troubleshooting procedures, look in the automatic transmission portion for the D light and in the steering portion for the EPS light.

I just got back. Thanks 1TITENSX for the tip. I will check her tomorrow. Did you get your car fixed?
1TITENSX said:
You'll need to look under the dash on the passenger side for a blue harness connection. Then you jump the connection with a piece of wire and turn the ignition on. I don't have the service manual on me now but I believe this procedure is located in the beginning of the automatic transmission portion of the service manual. Note the number of times for the D light blinking and for the EPS light blinking. For the appropriate troubleshooting procedures, look in the automatic transmission portion for the D light and in the steering portion for the EPS light.

I just contacted the dealership and they have a stock accord speed sensor at the moment which he said can also be used. I will ask a friend to find the stock one for the NSX somewhere. In the mean time what is the save speed to drive the NSX so as not to damage the automatic transmission. Thanks. Am I worrying too much?

I checked on the trouble code tonight and got these from my automatic NSX:-

Drive Indicator

Refer to page 440 of 1420

4 blinks - Possible causes
1. Disconnected speed sensor connector,
2. Short of open in the speed sensor wire,
3. Faulty speed sensor.

EPS Indicator

Refer to page 620 of 1420

Code 31 - Power supply (ECU, ignition input)
Code 33 - Speed sensor input.

TCS Indicator

Refer to page ? of 1420

2 blinks - Parking brake signal (problem with wire harness or TCS control unit)

CEL Indicator

Refer to page 86 of 1420

Code 17 - Vehicle Speed Sensor
Code 1 and 2 - Front and rear oxygen sensors.

I've check again the manual but it does say which speed sensor is affected. It did not blink 9 times as 1TITENSX does. Does it mean the faulty one for mine is the NM sensor?

Bumping the thread. How is your car now 1TITENSX? My sensor is on order along with my friend's.

Jin,

That's a lot of codes. Your issues sound somewhat different to what I am experiencing, as in my case the only code I pulled was the EPS trouble code 33, and everything else for me was perfectly normal.

Likely, if the speed-o, odo, and everything else is functioning properly I highly doubt it is any of the sensors in the tranny as in my case. However, if their are other symptoms and codes to indicate a sensor issue and your speed-o is going nuts as seems to be your case than perhaps it very well could be the little NM one or the vehicle speed sensor. In my case I know my sensors are good they are all like brand new.

For me, I think the issue is just the EPS PCB board in the power control unit. I've noted different behaviors with different 'fixes' on this PCB. At your next NSX meet or at a dealer, I plan to just snag a known good working PS Power Control Unit and PS ECU and swap it out to better isolate to my PCU as being the culprit before making myself too crazy about it.

Last edited:
John,

My EPS is about 6 years old after replacing the old one. I suspect it would be the speed sensor although I don't know which one (NM or NC).

The other code such as parking brake is normal (grounding problem) as well as the O2 sensors which need replacing.

Currently when driving the car the speedo bounces, eps light on, D light flashes and odometer roll sometimes don't.

John@Microsoft said:
Jin,

That's a lot of codes. Your issues sound somewhat different to what I am experiencing, as in my case the only code I pulled was the EPS trouble code 33, and everything else for me was perfectly normal.

Likely, if the speed-o, odo, and everything else is functioning properly I highly doubt it is any of the sensors in the tranny as in my case. However, if their are other symptoms and codes to indicate a sensor issue and your speed-o is going nuts as seems to be your case than perhaps it very well could be the little NM one or the vehicle speed sensor. In my case I know my sensors are good they are all like brand new.

For me, I think the issue is just the EPS PCB board in the power control unit. I've noted different behaviors with different 'fixes' on this PCB. At your next NSX meet or at a dealer, I plan to just snag a known good working PS Power Control Unit and PS ECU and swap it out to better isolate to my PCU as being the culprit before making myself too crazy about it.

Good to know that your car is fixed. You mention about the D flashes 4 times and then you replace the NM sensor which then still the problem occurs. And you check the D light again and it flashes 9 times. Could it be that both sensors are bad? I think I only order the NC sensor. I will see if the NC sensor will solve the problem. If not have to replace the NM one too. The manual did not specifically say which sensor need to be replace or check if the D light flashes 4 times.
1TITENSX said:
I replaced the NC speed sensor and my EPS is now working like it is supposed to.

Jin1976 said:
Good to know that your car is fixed. You mention about the D flashes 4 times and then you replace the NM sensor which then still the problem occurs. And you check the D light again and it flashes 9 times. Could it be that both sensors are bad? I think I only order the NC sensor. I will see if the NC sensor will solve the problem. If not have to replace the NM one too. The manual did not specifically say which sensor need to be replace or check if the D light flashes 4 times.

I actually didn't replace the NM speed sensor. I replaced part #10 in the diagram below. The actual picture is located in post #33 of this thread. They call it a speed sensor assembly. I did notice that my speedometer stopped acting eratic after it was replaced but the EPS light and 'D' light still came on. After that didn't work, I replaced the NC speed sensor assembly and everything is back to normal. You could be right, both sensors could have been bad.

13SL00_E19.gif

Back