• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

EPS light

Been having an issue with my EPS and have been trouble shooting with Matt Lindsay at NSX Rack Repair. He's been very helpful but we can't seem to track this down. Yet. The EPS light goes on after about 20 miles of driving and I've been doing a temporary fix by pulling the clock fuse out and resetting it. If i'm driving and the light comes on it seems like the power steering is fine but once I shut it down, on restart the power steering doesn't work. I've pulled the battery and the ground wire behind the battery is secure. I just tried shorting the blue plug under the carpet below the glove box to count any flashing lights on the dash panel but don't see anything happening as far as flashing icons. Anyone run into this?

What year model?
Never reset before reading the error code first.
With EPS, pulling the 7.5A Clock fuse, disconnecting the battery, disconnecting the connector from the EPS controller, etc will erase the error code.

Next time when you see the EPS light, before doing anything, short the blue 2pin SCS connector but keep eye on the CEL (Check Engine Light) indicator.
It should stay On permanently if you shorted the SCS properly under no engine related error code stored.

If CEL disappears (switches Off) after a few seconds (just like when you start the engine normally) from IGSW into P2 ON position, you didn't create short circuit at the SCS.

If you didn't lose power steering assist when you saw the EPS light, there are only two failure modes for this but I need to know the year model and the EPS error code.

Kaz

Last edited:
If it's 97 and presuming that your EPS rack was not replaced with pre-97 version, then it doesn't have rotational sensor.
Thus, the only failure mode that keeps the EPS assist even after triggering the EPS warning light is the VSS1/VSS2 signal comparison failure.

You should read the error code but most likely #33 .

Do you have any modification to the Gbox/DF especially the final ratio?

Too many speculations so please read the error code first and get back to us.

Kaz

I ended up replacing the unit at a cost of $1600. I sent it out for repair a total of four times. The last time I sent it to a APX Engine Repair in Jacksonville FL. They guaranteed that their electronic dept. could repair the module. I sent it back three times and it never did work. They refused to issue a credit back to my card so I had the transaction reversed. All calls and correspondence were ignored. Whatever you do, do not use APX for anything. The module was back ordered by ACURA and finally came in a few months later. Good luck with your repair. Jerry

Back