• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Eps

As I was getting into my car and turning it on, the EPS light came on and my power steering stopped working. I've been reading around the forum and people are saying just to take out the clock fuse but the problem continues. I don't know if its code 22 or not. I've also read that it could be my speed sensor going bad and thats triggering the EPS. I dont know what to do... Any advise?

thanks in advance

There is plenty out there on this topic. If you are coming to the Thursday meet up at South Coast Acura, I can go thru the details with you.

My 95 did this for the first time last month with 68K miles.
It hadn't been driven for a while (which for me is about a week) and I had started it and quickly disengaged the clutch to get the car out of the garage. It was early morning and other folks in the house were still sleeping.
I must have turned the wheel before EPS was ready for me to because it threw the light and killed the power steering. I pulled the clock fuse and haven't seen the light since.
It's literally a 30 second deal:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128233

my 96 eps circuit went caput last year also....just replaced the module.

If it is only the module, you are relativity lucky as it's easy to replace, just expensive. You can pull the fuse and usually that fixes it. If it still happens after that you will need to trace the circuits with an ohmmeter to find if you have a short or something much worse.

If you can't find where the issue is, there is one last resort. Remove the EPS control module in the passenger foot well along with the steering rack and ship them to D1Guy in Mississippi. He will fix it, replace the bearings in the rack and bench test before he sends it back. Fantastic service. Ask me how I know all of this:rolleyes:

You will need to pull the code or have someone check it for you, otherwise it's just guessing. The codes are listed on page 17-51 of the 1991 repair manual and the how to on 17-43.

Mike

Happened to me a few time, pull fuse to reset, but will come back sometime later, this happened a few time, until I added another ground wire from the batt to chasis (forgot what gauge) and haven't got the problem since.

The grounds on our cars are a pain in the ass. I replaced both battery cables and any ground that I have to connect, I use Oxguard to make sure the ground is as sound as possible. I've not had a problem with any of my electrical systems since. Knock on wood.

Here is the pix of my adding ground from batt to chassis and also relay that I bought but never replace as my grounding fix the problem.

btw, what size wheel and tire you have? Sometime wheel size will throw off your TCS.

IMG_3350.jpg

IMG_3354.jpg

IMG_3360.jpg

IMG_3371.jpg

Last edited:
Check the code before you do anything else. Stick a paperclip in the two holes for the blue pin under the passenger side glovebox. Turn the key to on, but don't cut the car on. Read the blinks. Either that or bring it to an auto store and have them check the code for you for free usually.

Here is the pix of my adding ground from batt to chassis and also relay that I bought but never replace as my grounding fix the problem.

btw, what size wheel and tire you have? Sometime wheel size will throw off your TCS.

IMG_3350.jpg

IMG_3354.jpg

IMG_3360.jpg

IMG_3371.jpg

Great pictures man thanks. I used a 10 gauge wire. Guess I have to go thicker on the wire. I have stock 16 in front and 17 in the rear so I don't know that's the problem

Check the code before you do anything else. Stick a paperclip in the two holes for the blue pin under the passenger side glovebox. Turn the key to on, but don't cut the car on. Read the blinks. Either that or bring it to an auto store and have them check the code for you for free usually.

I used a code reader and it said P1677 and that's code 35. It has something to do with my traction control singal failure. I'm hoping that my traction control connection is just loose. Just need to find out where's my traction control is located to see if that's the problem

I used a code reader and it said P1677 and that's code 35. It has something to do with my traction control singal failure. I'm hoping that my traction control connection is just loose. Just need to find out where's my traction control is located to see if that's the problem

You should try that anyways because i do not see code 35 listed as a eps code. Just follow the instructions on 17-43 of the manual and make sure the EPS light is the one flashing and see what you get.

Mike

Yes, Comtec is right. I forgot to be more specific about the EPS light and not the check engine light or other lights. Those other ones may present their own issues.

I have an EPS rack & the computer for sale if you need parts PM me if interested :)

You should try that anyways because i do not see code 35 listed as a eps code. Just follow the instructions on 17-43 of the manual and make sure the EPS light is the one flashing and see what you get.

Mike

thanks a lot for the advise. Im gonna read the manual and hopefully it has the answers Im looking for....

just read the manual and it doesn't say anything on how to fix it, it just says to bring it to your nearest dealer...

and they'll say "sorry its $6500 to replace the EPS rack & electronics" ..... :eek:

Back