• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Evans NPG+ coolant

Does anyone have any experience using Evans NPG+ coolant?
This is a non-ethylene glycol formula that cannot be used with water. You use it straight out of the bottle after draining all water/glycol mixture. Their website, evanscooling.com, describes the process, technology and all the other details. There seem to be many performance benefits from using it and, aside from cost, few disadvantages.

Holy revived thread batman. Jay Leno (on Jay Leno's garage) says he uses this stuff in everything he owns. Wondering if anyone uses this in their NSX?

i use the Evans coolant and seem to work great.
You will need to get all the water out of the system because Evans does not like water.

Gary

How do you get ALL the water out? Seems like there would always be some left in there with just a drain.

I had this in my Water-cooled intercooler for the SOS SC, but when I had the o-rings leak on the Laminova and had to replace the IC with the Driving Ambition IC I decided to drain the Evans out and replace with the Amsoil coolant + water.

Reason is a matter of convenience if something should leak again and I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Something to think about.

How do you get ALL the water out? Seems like there would always be some left in there with just a drain.

My engine was out when I made the conversion. I removed the radiator and used compressed air to remove as much water as I could. Also you use a 7 psi cap or less.

Gary

I used this years ago. I've owned a few GN's couple of MR2 turbo's, GTI turbo. Love the stuff. I've always had excellent results. Yes you need to get all water out of the system and I've always ran a couple extra gallons of NPG just to flush all the water out. Theres lots of good reading on this stuff on their website.

It’s great that the Evans coolant has a boiling point far above that of traditional water-based coolants. In situations where normal coolants boil so much that not just steam bubbles but whole steam pockets form, the Evans coolant may prevent localized hot spots. Being non-corrosive is a further plus.

Not so good is that the viscosity of Evans coolant is about three times as high as traditional water-based coolants. More horsepower will be required to spin the water pump.

Evans doesn’t state what the heat transfer coefficient of its coolant is – how much heat it absorbs as it flows through the coolant passages. Water flowing through coolant passages absorbs more heat than air would. If Evans doesn’t absorb quite as much heat as water-based coolants, it will cause the engine and the engine oil to run hotter overall. A report prepared in 2012 which Evans has on its website indicates that may be the case: http://www.evanscooling.com/assets/Uploads/EvansFinal-Report05022012Deliverable.pdf. The engine oil temperature increased by 2.0 - 4.3% with no changes other than swapping out the water-based coolant for Evans. A hotter-running engine can reduce emissions but it will also thin out your engine oil a bit.

Our water pumps, coolant hose diameters, thermostats, cooling fan switches, etc. were designed for a coolant with the viscosity, heat transfer coefficient, and specific heat capacity of a water-based coolant. If Evans changed nothing but the boiling point and corrosion properties it would be fantastic. It would have nothing but upsides. Unfortunately, since the Evans coolant is thicker and doesn’t seem to transfer heat quite as well, there are also some downsides.

I had this in my Water-cooled intercooler for the SOS SC, but when I had the o-rings leak on the Laminova and had to replace the IC with the Driving Ambition IC I decided to drain the Evans out and replace with the Amsoil coolant + water.

Reason is a matter of convenience if something should leak again and I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Something to think about.

Wonder if this is why the o-ring leaked? Maybe the o-rings are not compatible with Evans?
I have had the Honda coolant in my SOS intercooler and no issues after a couple of years.

If you have a forced induction setup and want additional cooling I highly recommend the Driving Ambition Radiator.

Back