• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Exedy twin organic clutch-who's running it?

Has everyone running this clutch here removed the clutch dampener? Curious if this can play a role in the shudder.

Last edited:
Has everyone running this clutch here removed the clutch dampener? Curious if this can play a role in the shudder.
Mine is...

Do you mean the OEM NA2 single disc clutch or you had an upgraded one? The oem clutch can not handle high rpm launches with a CTSC from personal experience and mentioned by others.

OEM NA2 single disc.

I don't launch any of my cars so I can't speak from experience.

Yes, mine is removed also.

I don't want to paint a bad picture about this clutch. I think that if the reverse gear was closer in ratio to forward 1st than say 2nd gear, all would be fine. But reverse feels pretty tall, I'm thinking I could hit 50 mph and not hit redline.

[MENTION=25419]Valhalla[/MENTION] [MENTION=31260]Jinks[/MENTION]

About how many miles are on your transmissions? My '92 with about 120k miles had a bad shudder when starting out in first (reverse was tolerable) when I installed a brand new SOS dual carbon clutch. I removed it and went with this Exedy dual clutch and replaced the main input shaft bearings (ISBs) at the same time. Apparently its a common Honda manual transmission issue. Now it's smooth as OEM.

I should have heeded the SOS install instructions when I did their dual carbon clutch and changed out the ISB's. It could have saved me three grand ($2k for clutch and figure another $1k in labor if you don't do it yourself).

If your transmission has more than let's say, 75k miles on it, I recommend changing out the ISB's on your next clutch change!
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/203689-Need-a-new-clutch-Considerations-for-older-cars-or-high-mileage-ones?

Oh - I do not have the OEM clutch dampener. Got rid of it about 10 years ago....

Last edited:
@Valhalla @Jinks

About how many miles are on your transmissions? My '92 with about 120k miles had a bad shudder when starting out in first (reverse was tolerable) when I installed a brand new SOS dual carbon clutch. I removed it and went with this Exedy dual clutch and replaced the main input shaft bearings (ISBs) at the same time. Apparently its a common Honda manual transmission issue. Now it's smooth as OEM.

I should have heeded the SOS install instructions when I did their dual carbon clutch and changed out the ISB's. It could have saved me three grand ($2k for clutch and figure another $1k in labor if you don't do it yourself).

If your transmission has more than let's say, 75k miles on it, I recommend changing out the ISB's on your next clutch change!
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...erations-for-older-cars-or-high-mileage-ones?

Oh - I do not have the OEM clutch dampener. Got rid of it about 10 years ago....

Glad to hear your experience [MENTION=12356]Mac Attack[/MENTION] this was the clutch I had the most interest in but was concerned with the talked about rough gear engagement and possibly damaging something. I'm forced to swap the input shaft since I have a NA2 and will be doing ISBs while its already out. How many miles have you put on your Exedy?

[MENTION=33123]Re<<1[/MENTION]

I'm guessing I've put about 2500 miles on the clutch now, so it should be broken in.

Also, as these cars age, worn/broken engine/transmission mounts can cause issues too. Jinks had his engine removed, so hopefully his tech followed the reinstallation instructions from Acura below to minimize vibration:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/200383-eng-mount-Failure-to-follow-these-procedure-may-cause-excessive-noise-and-vibration

Obviously, some cars have a shudder and others don't. Exedy is an OEM supplier, so I'm pretty sure they make a consistent product. The clutch disc material isn't grabby like a carbon material, the hubs are sprung for smooth engagement, and the pressure plate isn't much heavier than OEM. That makes it easy to drive with little drama. However, the cars these are installed on are nearing 25 years of age and mounts, transmission shaft bearing, etc may be getting worn out and causing issues that people are blaming on the clutch.

I bought my car with 60k miles on it and the clutch had no almost shudder or vibration. It had the snap ring fixed at 65k miles and I went ahead and had another OEM clutch installed at that time even though the old one was good. Almost no shudder over the 55k miles I drove that until I did a full engine rebuild for boost. You can probably see how meticulous I was in the linked thread above when changing the clutch and rebuilding the transmission (and replacing the throwout bearing fork, polishing the throwout bearing hub, replacing the intermediate shaft bearing, etc). I didn't want to take any chances with a potential shudder again. It paid off - Almost no shudder with this new Exedy clutch in the past 2500 miles.

If the rest of the drivetrain is in good shape and you are meticulous with the new clutch installation, follow the Acura instructions for minimizing drivetrain vibration, etc, then this Exedy clutch will provide the same level of shudder as the OEM clutch.

At least, that's what my experience has shown over the past 14 years and 65k miles with this car, four clutches, and doing all the labor myself.

Last edited:
As I mentioned in a few earlier posts. Given the tsunami that wiped out all of Japans stock of oem parts, it is rather hard to find a good replacement in the industry these days. If you’ve tried ordering nsx Parts in the last 4 years, you’d agree with me, they do not exist. Honda is getting beat into submission lately by other brands and the nsx is a red headed step child. No parts, high costs, no order lead times, etc, etc, etc. let’s stop acting like this isn’t new here already...

On the other hand, This clutch is a very good option without any credible options available. I just share my experiences as a consumer and not as a guy who has a lift in his garage, who can spend countless hours tinkering on a car to get it right. That’s what I pay a good mechanic for.

But let’s get one thing clear, this clutch shudders BIG time. It has nothing to do with the transmission or the engine mounts in my own opinion. Performance shops make quite a deal from selling these clutches just like everyone else does in the industry.

It isn’t worth 2 grand excluding labor. My problem is, I am past the point of an oem clutch working with my motor. Therefore, options were very slim. For me, this clutch is so past the point of daily usability that I would pull the Aem ems 2 and go back to low boost if I didn’t have 4 other cars to drive. The car is an absolute monster now as is, but with great power comes great headaches... I’m not looking to debate this either. I am just stating my opinion as I have it. Btw, has anyone commented yet about dropping this clutch into second at 30 mph? Think of a Tesla 0-60 only in reverse. Or trying to find first gear at 20 mph. You need to double clutch to put her in gear. End of rant... :biggrin:

Last edited:
Interesting point. I drove home 2 days ago and felt no shudder or notchiness.... even in reverse. I had a very good mechanic install it though. 80k miles here on a '92 transmission.

2 grand is a lot though. I guess it's a great option for clamping power under moderate boost with streetable characteristics. I am loving this clutch more and more.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm 2.5k miles on the new exedy clutch

Interesting point. I drove home 2 days ago and felt no shudder or notchiness.... even in reverse. I had a very good mechanic install it though. 80k miles here on a '92 transmission.

2 grand is a lot though. I guess it's a great option for clamping power under moderate boost with streetable characteristics. I am loving this clutch more and more.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm 2.5k miles on the new exedy clutch
Maybe something went a foul during install? One thing I will say. The more I drive it, the more I like it. But for a daily driver. Nah....
I’m going to take some videos soon to bring light to my current situations.

It has nothing to do with the transmission or the engine mounts in my own opinion.

Well, everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion.

How many miles are on your transmission?

Did the tech that installed the engine follow the Acura instructions? It obviously must make a difference if Acura took the time to develop the procedure and document it in the SM.

You're right - there is a huge markup on these clutches and none of them should be worth $2k+. This was way before your time on the board, but Mark Johnson from Dali Racing got into trouble for disclosing some of the markup on the SOS/RPS clutches.

The NSX clutch is a bit finicky, and cars with higher mileage and some wear on critical parts (transmission ISB's, clutch fork, throwout bearing collar) only makes it worse.

I hate to see someone else go down the path I did. That's why I'm trying to convince others to preventatively-replace some of these critical items (that Kaz does on his rebuilds too) when they are doing a clutch change on a higher-mileage car. It's an expensive job to replace the clutch, and you shouldn't have to settle for one that shudders until your next replacement. After living with one for about 5k miles, I personally know it really puts a damper on driving it around town.

Well, everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion.

How many miles are on your transmission?

Did the tech that installed the engine follow the Acura instructions? It obviously must make a difference if Acura took the time to develop the procedure and document it in the SM.

You're right - there is a huge markup on these clutches and none of them should be worth $2k+. This was way before your time on the board, but Mark Johnson from Dali Racing got into trouble for disclosing some of the markup on the SOS/RPS clutches.

The NSX clutch is a bit finicky, and cars with higher mileage and some wear on critical parts (transmission ISB's, clutch fork, throwout bearing collar) only makes it worse.

I hate to see someone else go down the path I did. That's why I'm trying to convince others to preventatively-replace some of these critical items (that Kaz does on his rebuilds too) when they are doing a clutch change on a higher-mileage car. It's an expensive job to replace the clutch, and you shouldn't have to settle for one that shudders until your next replacement. After living with one for about 5k miles, I personally know it really puts a damper on driving it around town.

Sorry Mac, when I posted that rant it was a long day. A 4 day weekend in Key West has me feeling good now though. It just pissing me off sometimes, ya know. The Nsx consumer spends so much money for shitty parts. To add to that, trying to get factory parts is another uphill battle. Over the last few months I considered selling the car. But,,, I have regained my faith in the car and the community. The car is hard to let go... I bring it to supercar meets and people drool over it. The issue I seem to be having lately is finding a good mechanic in Florida to work on these cars. It was the perfect California car.

As to the exedy clutch, it grabs. It grabs BIG time, it’s very race car clutch like. It takes some finesse and driving it more makes it easier. Just a word of caution to guys with oem motors who are thinking of switching, it takes a lot of getting used to. I somehow see a trans rebuild in my future. That’s all I would like to add for now.:smile:

Back