• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Exhaust Temperature Question

nel

Registered Member
When I first start my NSX in the morning (or when the engine is cold), the temperature of exhaust gas out of the left tail pipe is way warmer than that from the right pipe. When I put my hand near the pipes, I can feel the left pipe has less pressure (though warmer)than the right. Is this normal? Are there causes for concerns? Anyone experienced the same problem?

Thanks,
-Nick

Most of us stay inside the car when we're driving it away.
biggrin.gif

Wow,

way old thread but I was just thinking this earlier today. Never checked mine before but it does the same....is it normal? Question was never answered...

Hopefully someone might reply within the next 10 years:biggrin:
When I first start my NSX in the morning (or when the engine is cold), the temperature of exhaust gas out of the left tail pipe is way warmer than that from the right pipe. When I put my hand near the pipes, I can feel the left pipe has less pressure (though warmer)than the right. Is this normal? Are there causes for concerns? Anyone experienced the same problem?

Thanks,
-Nick

wow , b/s answer , nick has a concern , he 's asking a question ,if you dont know just say it ,

Lol you are are chastising Ken for his response......10 years ago:eek:

Lol you are are chastising Ken for his response......10 years ago:eek:
Well, in all fairness, Ralph couldn't see the smilie face that I included in the post ten years ago, because it's no longer where I linked to it ten years ago. It was the one that looks like this: :biggrin: Maybe Ralph has a sense of humor and would instead have laughed if he had seen it. (Or, maybe not.) In any case, I'm going to take a wild guess that Nick is no longer as concerned about this as he was ten years ago, especially since his most recent post was in May 2001. :biggrin:

Ten years must be a record for the longest time a topic here lay dormant before getting bumped, no?

Last edited:
Well, in all fairness, Ralph couldn't see the smilie face that I included in the post ten years ago, because it's no longer where I linked to it ten years ago. It was the one that looks like this: :biggrin: Maybe Ralph has a sense of humor and would instead have laughed if he had seen it. (Or, maybe not.) In any case, I'm going to take a wild guess that Nick is no longer as concerned about this as he was ten years ago, especially since his most recent post was in May 2001. :biggrin:

Ten years must be a record for the longest time a topic here lay dormant before getting bumped, no?

Yes perhaps and it's looking like it's still going unanswered too? So just get off your lazy butts, start up you cold car and report back whether the left exhaust is noticeable hotter than the right!:biggrin::biggrin: I'm curious as even though I've never noticed, or cared to check before, I discovered the same scenario as the OP yesterday. I recently had a TB change and valve clearances done. I haven't had much time to drive the NSX recently so just looking for indictions as to whether it's normal or could be a result of bad timing and/or incorrect valve adjustment?

So please try and answer, if not for Nick then me please :wink:

ok sorry ,i get serious , i know what you are talking about because i have seen on it my car (97), i do not know why BUT if i had to GUESS (Which I Dont Like To Do ),i would suspect it got to do with the EGR system . on my car the egr is supplied with exhaust from the front header (which i think is the driver side outlet ), yes i know egr is computer controlled and not used at idle , however i have seen auto manu. create exhaust back pressure for egr (chrysler would create 2 psi of back pressure in their 318 (5 litre) ,when i questioned a chrysler instructor about it he said was done too make sure egr would not starve ) is he right who knows ,but it makes sence, maybe Larry B or Chris (sos) could chime in ,

Last edited:
The OEM muffler has a shared chamber in the middle for the exhaust from both banks of the cylinder head before exiting the tail pipes. Since the exhaust from both side of the tail pipes come from this shared chamber, the temperature should be similar.

that makes sence , but what explains the exhaust difference, when our cars start cold are they bank fire or sequential ? I often thought about this because of the roughness NSX 's are known for at about 1400prm when cold , I,ve never seen anyone address this other than" thats the way they run " Iwill tell you this if I start my car cold in the summer and put on the a/c its not as rough and isn't because the idle is a little higher , food for thought?

Back