• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Factor X Turbo & BBSC

Factor X turbo???

It surprises me that they are suposidly creating a turbo setup but have released absolutely no info as to the development stage. Does anyone have more info, or are these one off jobs we can never expect to see?

I think the path that they are pursuing on their turbo kit is to work through the beta stages before unleashing the product onto the market to avoid the kind of hoopla and subsequent self destruct that was experienced by the Basch SC. In the end I think it'll be a better deal for those who are patient enough to wait for it and it will be a tight kit with no or minimal problems. It's supposed to be out this month, but if they're late by a month to resolve issues prior to release, all the better I say.

The NOS kit on my car is a 60 shot dry system. The bottle is located in the front where the spare used to be, mounted on a specially made bracket. It's awesome because I don't need a bottle heater due to the radiator heat. I have dual purge lines that run to my rear hatch on either side. (It's awesome when I purge, two spouts shooting straight up about 6-8 ft in the air, scares the shit outta ppl). The arming switch is aircraft spec and is installed where the coin tray is on the armrest. Activation is throttle sensored so it comes on at WOT.

I haven't actually really had a chance to use it yet to its full potential. I tried using it once or twice when I first got it, but at that time my clutch was fried so my car wasn't really going anywhere. But initial impression was that if the clutch would catch, it was definitely moving a lot faster than stock. Once I get my car back from the bodyshop, I'll try and take some pics of the setup and post them. Eventually, it's going to end up a 100 shot.

Darkcyd said:
I think the path that they are pursuing on their turbo kit is to work through the beta stages before unleashing the product onto the market to avoid the kind of hoopla and subsequent self destruct that was experienced by the Basch SC.

I

What "Self Destruct"

Isn't it amazing how anonymous posters can make disparaging comments about someone else's business and product like this?

:(

There ought to be a law.

-Jim

Re: Factor X turbo???

Juice said:
It surprises me that they are suposidly creating a turbo setup but have released absolutely no info as to the development stage. Does anyone have more info, or are these one off jobs we can never expect to see?

It was pretty much scrapped, as far as I know. One of the NSX's they were testing had ring problems that they needed to yank the engine for, then there was a whole string of problems, I believe.

edit: and it was a supercharger.

Jimbo said:
Isn't it amazing how anonymous posters can make disparaging comments about someone else's business and product like this?

:(

There ought to be a law.

-Jim

Jim, anonymous as it may be, we all have histories and I think I've been around long enough that I'm not lumped in with the casual passerby who just wants to be a flamer. It is no secret in this community that issues came up with the reliability of the Basch SC after it was released, that a fair proportion of them couldn't get the fueling right, and that matters had to be taken to a 'private' forum, no presence at all from Basch to represent himself here, and several people who ended up taking the Basch SC off their cars. Maybe not in your opinion, but in my personal opinion, that's not what I would call a grand entrance.

Darkcyd said:
Jim, anonymous as it may be, we all have histories and I think I've been around long enough that I'm not lumped in with the casual passerby who just wants to be a flamer. It is no secret in this community that issues came up with the reliability of the Basch SC after it was released, that a fair proportion of them couldn't get the fueling right, and that matters had to be taken to a 'private' forum, no presence at all from Basch to represent himself here, and several people who ended up taking the Basch SC off their cars. Maybe not in your opinion, but in my personal opinion, that's not what I would call a grand entrance.

The fueling problems were during the Beta test and considering the added HP a bit more tuning is involved, I dont think that qualifies as "Self Destruct", the reason for the private forum was not to hide the problems that you think might be happening as you hinted to. As for any questions that you or anyone has asked about the BBSC they are truthfully answered here by many of the members with the BBSC installed. As for removing the SC, there are plenty of threads here of owners removing everything from Superchargers to Turbos to springs. If you want something thats 100% with no worries of tunning then leave your car stock.

MiamieNeSeX said:
The fueling problems were during the Beta test and considering the added HP a bit more tuning is involved, I dont think that qualifies as "Self Destruct", the reason for the private forum was not to hide the problems that you think might be happening as you hinted to. As for any questions that you or anyone has asked about the BBSC they are truthfully answered here by many of the members with the BBSC installed. As for removing the SC, there are plenty of threads here of owners removing everything from Superchargers to Turbos to springs. If you want something thats 100% with no worries of tunning then leave your car stock.

Alright, I will concede that 'self-destruct' may not have been the most accurate and appropriate terminology. I am very aware that there are a lot of differing opinions on this topic which have already been discussed at length in other threads devoted solely to this subject. I just happen to fall into the camp that doesn't think there's been full disclosure on the BBSC and isn't satisfied by the responses that have been given. It just seems as though all other products can be discussed, but when someone wants to know something about the BBSC, people are either told to shut up or call the manufacturer. That is in my opinion, directly opposed to the reason for having these forums in the first place, which is for the purpose of open discussion so that we are all informed. I just don't understand why, if the BBSC is what it's made up to be, that people are so sensitive and defensive when it comes to open talk about it. I don't think members here would jump to conclusions if it didn't seem like information was being withheld.

Darkcyd said:
Alright, I will concede that 'self-destruct' may not have been the most accurate and appropriate terminology. I am very aware that there are a lot of differing opinions on this topic which have already been discussed at length in other threads devoted solely to this subject. I just happen to fall into the camp that doesn't think there's been full disclosure on the BBSC and isn't satisfied by the responses that have been given. It just seems as though all other products can be discussed, but when someone wants to know something about the BBSC, people are either told to shut up or call the manufacturer. That is in my opinion, directly opposed to the reason for having these forums in the first place, which is for the purpose of open discussion so that we are all informed. I just don't understand why, if the BBSC is what it's made up to be, that people are so sensitive and defensive when it comes to open talk about it. I don't think members here would jump to conclusions if it didn't seem like information was being withheld.

What conspiracy exactly do you think us BBSC owners have against the non BBSC owners lol, What information have we eluded to disclose? Just because there is a forum to discuss the experiences and changes in tunning means there is something to hide? I beleive the most knowledgable owners are very vocal and have responded to any questions and concerns regarding the SC including Mark B. My SC has close to 15,000 miles and gave me an extra 130 hp to the wheels with absolutly no problems. If you are happy with your NOS great, and if you want more info on the SC ask the question and I am sure it will be answered just like everyone else on this forum.

Armando

DarkCyd's P.O.V

I respect DC's point of view, and wish I could answer his questions with 100 per cent clarity AND supply the answers he seeks. I can only address the issues that keep me away from these boards and the issues that have excisted with and the current state of the BBSC.
At the risk of sounding paranoid, and starting a whole new thread that will remind me of why I never do this, there are *several* people on these pages who wish intensley for my failure, and miss no oppurtunity to hasten it along. I hope they have a lot of stamina.

There appears to be a mentality on these boards that it is not *safe* to throw stones at one of the communities greatly respected members. Whether or not I desrve it is irrelevant for the point of this discussion- its there. The same was true for LG. Now that he has fallen from grace, all hell has broken loose with stories of things that have happened years ago. One early single turbo kit owner SWORE he had not yet dyn'od his new kit, yet Nick and I were at Factor X the day it dyno'd 287 RWHP.
In fact, I'm gulity myself- the whole OC crowd who chant for my implosion think I didn't like Larry because he was competition. Shame on me, that I never shared the story about his grand opening party where he told me if I ever got "caught" doing a site install of a CTSC in OC, he would "take care of me"

The whole purpose of the "members only" BBSC-Beta list was news to me AFTER it was ceated by an early BBSC owner. If the people wanted a private place to exchange stories and info amongst themselves, it seemed harmless enough to me- yet it has been made into a sinister place for hiding dark secrets.
I know of only two people who have removed their BBSC's. One wanted more power and went with a turbo kit, the other just didn't like the power band. There are experts, like him, with all sorts of facts, which are not. It would take me days to answer them, and it would just sound like defensive semantics and quickly get out of hand.

There have been fuel problems in some early cars, but wehave fixed them. There have been some timing control issues as well, but I am in the process of replacing FOURTY FIVE black boxes at no cost to owners whats so ever. And there has even been two, or possibally three (GASP) engines with extreme blow by, that will need repair. But you know what- the new turbo kits have blown several engines, and I have overhauled two engines this year so far with CTSC's on them- all at the customers expence. You know who is paying to fix the BBSC engines if they need overhauled-
ME, or more accurately, my insurance company. I took out a three million dollar policy on this project and am getting my first claim paid by them as we speak. And these engines have ALL had their fuel maps or other engine parts altered, and I look the other way.

The current status of the project is that the documentation is finished, the web site is days from finished (the manual is also in html, though I would have preferred Acrobat- a feature just getting under way) The kit is ready for shipment with either the NEW black box with no fuel or ignition issues whtsoever, or with the new AEM, which is a hell of an upgrade. It is relatively cheap to buy at time of kit purchase because the cost of the black box is credited towards the AEM. AEM themselves have worked with me and are continuing to do so to make the AEM a BBSC calibration special file. The point- kits are now ready for shipping for DIY or other Tech installs. I have shops trained in Texas, Florida, Wisconsin, and Hayward, and more coming soon. Boost levels are available from just under 6 to just over 8 without engine mods. I currently have 5 low comp motors on the road, and 5 being built in my shop at one time. With that mod, 15 lbs is the limit. Unfortunately, Jane is taking appointments for July for in shop engine mods.

The last time I was here, someone suggested I didn't know the differance between a turbo and a supercharger. Today, someone will undoubtedly say something equally nasty, and it will probabally be another 4 months before I open my mouth again.
However, as always, if anyone needs to talk to me about BBSC, snap rings, a/c, or ANY OTHER NSX problem, potential customer or not, please call me at my shop. I am here 6, usually seven days a week, but only read e-mail once a week, at best.

Cheers,
MB

Re: DarkCyd's P.O.V

NSXTech said:
I respect DC's point of view, and wish I could answer his questions with 100 per cent clarity AND supply the answers he seeks. I can only address the issues that keep me away from these boards and the issues that have excisted with and the current state of the BBSC.
At the risk of sounding paranoid, and starting a whole new thread that will remind me of why I never do this, there are *several* people on these pages who wish intensley for my failure, and miss no oppurtunity to hasten it along. I hope they have a lot of stamina.

There appears to be a mentality on these boards that it is not *safe* to throw stones at one of the communities greatly respected members. Whether or not I desrve it is irrelevant for the point of this discussion- its there. The same was true for LG. Now that he has fallen from grace, all hell has broken loose with stories of things that have happened years ago. One early single turbo kit owner SWORE he had not yet dyn'od his new kit, yet Nick and I were at Factor X the day it dyno'd 287 RWHP.
In fact, I'm gulity myself- the whole OC crowd who chant for my implosion think I didn't like Larry because he was competition. Shame on me, that I never shared the story about his grand opening party where he told me if I ever got "caught" doing a site install of a CTSC in OC, he would "take care of me"

The whole purpose of the "members only" BBSC-Beta list was news to me AFTER it was ceated by an early BBSC owner. If the people wanted a private place to exchange stories and info amongst themselves, it seemed harmless enough to me- yet it has been made into a sinister place for hiding dark secrets.
I know of only two people who have removed their BBSC's. One wanted more power and went with a turbo kit, the other just didn't like the power band. There are experts, like him, with all sorts of facts, which are not. It would take me days to answer them, and it would just sound like defensive semantics and quickly get out of hand.

There have been fuel problems in some early cars, but wehave fixed them. There have been some timing control issues as well, but I am in the process of replacing FOURTY FIVE black boxes at no cost to owners whats so ever. And there has even been two, or possibally three (GASP) engines with extreme blow by, that will need repair. But you know what- the new turbo kits have blown several engines, and I have overhauled two engines this year so far with CTSC's on them- all at the customers expence. You know who is paying to fix the BBSC engines if they need overhauled-
ME, or more accurately, my insurance company. I took out a three million dollar policy on this project and am getting my first claim paid by them as we speak. And these engines have ALL had their fuel maps or other engine parts altered, and I look the other way.

The current status of the project is that the documentation is finished, the web site is days from finished (the manual is also in html, though I would have preferred Acrobat- a feature just getting under way) The kit is ready for shipment with either the NEW black box with no fuel or ignition issues whtsoever, or with the new AEM, which is a hell of an upgrade. It is relatively cheap to buy at time of kit purchase because the cost of the black box is credited towards the AEM. AEM themselves have worked with me and are continuing to do so to make the AEM a BBSC calibration special file. The point- kits are now ready for shipping for DIY or other Tech installs. I have shops trained in Texas, Florida, Wisconsin, and Hayward, and more coming soon. Boost levels are available from just under 6 to just over 8 without engine mods. I currently have 5 low comp motors on the road, and 5 being built in my shop at one time. With that mod, 15 lbs is the limit. Unfortunately, Jane is taking appointments for July for in shop engine mods.

The last time I was here, someone suggested I didn't know the differance between a turbo and a supercharger. Today, someone will undoubtedly say something equally nasty, and it will probabally be another 4 months before I open my mouth again.
However, as always, if anyone needs to talk to me about BBSC, snap rings, a/c, or ANY OTHER NSX problem, potential customer or not, please call me at my shop. I am here 6, usually seven days a week, but only read e-mail once a week, at best.

Cheers,
MB

Thanks for the update. I think the only thing people are looking for is to know where it is at. A weekly / biweekly update would be great! Also any dyno #'s on the 15psi? That sounds awesome.

Thanks
Ryan

Let me get this straight.... If someone purchases a BBSC and has a properly trained shop install the kit, and the engine they put it on was fine before the BBSC but after it was installed the engine requires an overhaul due to piston damage or whatnot, then MB's insurance company will pay to overhaul the engine? You GOTTA be kidding me...

That's not what was written. You don't have it straight.

Mark is saying something else entirely.

-J

so with the new AEM software and upgrades, when does boost come on? The BBSC i drove felt like stock until VTEC. THen it PULLED hard! ..

BBSC + Novi 2000

I know before MB installed my BBSC he screened the motor to make sure it was fit to handle the SC.If your motor is in question he will do a compression test or leakdown test to make sure it is good to go. When I had the Novi 1000 it didn't pull hard until about 5000 rpm. Now with the Novi 2000 it pulls hard from 3000 to redline. I have had nothing but positive experiences with MB and the BBSC.

I thought there was relatively no difference between the Novi 1000 and 2000?

Now that's the kind of response I think a lot of people have been waiting for.

Re: Re: DarkCyd's P.O.V

Ryanmcd2 said:
Thanks for the update. I think the only thing people are looking for is to know where it is at. A weekly / biweekly update would be great! Also any dyno #'s on the 15psi? That sounds awesome.

Thanks
Ryan

Mark just told you where it was at

I recently had the opportunity to test drive two NSXes that had superchargers installed the same weekend. One had Comptech's base supercharger kit, the other had the base BaschBoost supercharger kit. The BBSC is in it's final production trim. The difference in power was significant. The BBSC production design pulls as hard now as Comptech's supercharger on the low-end, and above 4000-5000 rpm, it's no comparison. I briefly bounced off the rev limiter in the BBSC car due to how fast it pulled. We sell and I have installed both kits. My bias is based on what performs better, not who makes the units. I am very impressed and satisfied with the kits we are now packaging and getting prepared to ship. I know it has taken quite a bit of time to arrive at this point, and I appreciate all the patience. We have spent countless hours and weekends on preparing a solid product with solid documentation, replacement parts, and support that will simply be unrivaled of any aftermarket forced induction product not limited to what's out there for the NSX.

Cheers,
-- Chris

NetViper said:
I thought there was relatively no difference between the Novi 1000 and 2000?

The Novi 2000 is used now based on figures provided by Paxton that demonstrate better CFM at lower RPM and lower intake charges between the Novi 2000 and 1000. The difference in performance is significantly noticeable.

-- Chris

BBSC vs. CTSC

Chris that sounds good. Do you have any new dynos for the BBSC vs the CTSC after all of the new tuning?
Len

BBSC Novi 2000

MB dynoed my 91 BBSC Novi 2000 with 7psi at 383 rwhp and 263 ft/lbs of torque.

Re: BBSC Novi 2000

v8killer said:

Is your BBSC equipped with the upgrades that Chris is speaking of?

Novi 2000

If the Novi 2000 is the upgrade you are talking about then the answer is yes.

Re: BBSC Novi 2000

v8killer said:

The ONLY problem I see is that the power comes on @ 5,000 and up and the Torque is WAY down. should be 300+ like I said a while ago. If Mark can get say 400-450 HP with 320-350 TQ he will be running like the Turbos. I do not think it will work. Also as a side note I have a friend with a F150 Lightning and it has 400 HP and 540 TQ. It's a supercharged V8. Also all of my V8 friends get the TQ with the super charger. I think the NSX motor can not make that kinda number without a turbo. If you think TQ does not matter you should drive that truck, it's unreal. :p

Back