• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Factor X vs. Gerry Johnson's Turbos

Yep Yep! When your built to handle over 600hp, You can dial in sudden death for a lot of stuff out there.
This is what I am going after this. He talks much trash.
http://www.imagineauto.com/index2.htm
Then klick on the 996tt/GT2 index.

turbo.jpg

GJ current setup is a single turbo but he has posted that he previously had a twin setup using the Aerodyne turbos which he stated were less than reliable.

Len, to which shootout are you referring, the FX shootout or the one scheduled for in MI.

Tim

KGP said:
Yes, wrong shop.

So, we can now conclude that anyone can come into this forum, read a whole bunch of posts, and then make a recommendation to someone else who has the ability to do the same thing. Sheesh, glad we got that figured out. :rolleyes:

so you're telling me every bit of advice you give comes from first hand exprience?

I am just relaying what I have learned so he doesn't have to read 30 posts to figure out what I know about people opinions about Gerry Johnson.

I'm just trying to help him out. If thats wrong then I'm sorry

jorligan said:
GJ current setup is a single turbo but he has posted that he previously had a twin setup using the Aerodyne turbos which he stated were less than reliable.

Len, to which shootout are you referring, the FX shootout or the one scheduled for in MI.

Tim

Tim, I am talking about the FX, Has the shootout in MI. been finalized?

KulSecHskY said:
so you're telling me every bit of advice you give comes from first hand exprience?
If I were to say something along the lines of I reccomend product A or B then yes, I think that would be fair to say. Within the FI forum I generally don't make recommendations. If I do, and the topic challenges my personal knowledge, I will usually make sure those that read my post understand that I'm far from an expert on said thread. I leave most of the recommending to those that are far more knowledgable than me; The Kendal's and sjs's of the NSX world.

I am just relaying what I have learned so he doesn't have to read 30 posts to figure out what I know about people opinions about Gerry Johnson.
Maybe so, but you didn't say that. I won't re-state what you said, but you only made mention of your recommendation being formed by reading prior threads when I questioned you on it. If you read back through this thread as to what I have said, my point is that people who are serious about a FI solution need to educate themselves so that they can make an informed decision.

I'm just trying to help him out. If thats wrong then I'm sorry
Yes, I know you are trying to help, and no appologies are necessary. It's just that all those who happen to read a thread in the FI forum are not always regulars. As such, they know not how much weight to give to a particular post.

KGP said:
If I were to say something along the lines of I reccomend product A or B then yes, I think that would be fair to say. Within the FI forum I generally don't make recommendations. If I do, and the topic challenges my personal knowledge, I will usually make sure those that read my post understand that I'm far from an expert on said thread. I leave most of the recommending to those that are far more knowledgable than me; The Kendal's and sjs's of the NSX world.

Well have you ever had or know someone who has given a car up as a prototype? I would NEVER recommend someone do this unless they have a daily driver and another 'play' car because most likey they will not see that car for awhile. For this reason I would recommend the GJTC. Also I have heard that Gerry is a great people's person and has great attention for details. Everything said on this forum is opinion and should be taken as such. If he is to just take my word for it then he almost deserves to get a sh*tty deal. I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he is not that lacking of common sense. Also you reffer to experts yet even experts have different opinions when it comes to certain things such as engine building tolerances otherwise everyones engines would be the same =P

KGP said:
Maybe so, but you didn't say that. I won't re-state what you said, but you only made mention of your recommendation being formed by reading prior threads when I questioned you on it. If you read back through this thread as to what I have said, my point is that people who are serious about a FI solution need to educate themselves so that they can make an informed decision.

I totally agree with your point. But once again I doubt he will read this thread, read my recommendation then follow that recommendation. He is not a child. My only point was to give him some feedback and maybe a lil direction with his search. Once again PANSX has a OBDII car working which IMO is HUGE advantage over FX.

KGP said:
Yes, I know you are trying to help, and no appologies are necessary. It's just that all those who happen to read a thread in the FI forum are not always regulars. As such, they know not how much weight to give to a particular post.

I understand what you are saying but I do not think my opinion is any less than anyone else. I mean how can anyone here recommend one shop over the next using your logic. I doubt anyone has a turbo NSX from PANSX and Factory X ;) I stated an opinion and backed it up with WHY I have this certain opinion.

Thanks for no 'blowing up' haha. I realyl need to stop thanking people for not flaming. i'm just so used to people just lashing out when they see something array because I do not like putting on disclaimers. This world is too full of disclaimers and PC. It takes 50 words to say something that could've been said in 10 because of this. The world is too idiot proof. Whatever happened to darwinism? It works ;) haha

KulSecHskY said:
.... Once again PANSX has a OBDII car working which IMO is HUGE advantage over FX.
<s>I thought that what Devin did was a conversion to OBDI, but I might be wrong. I'm not saying that's not easy, but it's not the same thing as what Gerry or FX has.</s> [Edit]: Sorry, I had pansx confused with PaynNSX. :D[/Edit] Have you even spoke with anyone about what FX might have for OBDII? I'll answer that for you - "No." What we are talking about here is an ECU, that's it. I think FX might have a real nice solution, but I don't expect them to be talking much about it until a car rolls out using it.

KulSecHskY said:
I mean how can anyone here recommend one shop over the next using your logic.
They can't. People like TurboNSX or B&T can talk about their experiences, and recommend the system they have, but to toss aside the FX competition would not be fair to the inquiring.

KulSecHskY said:
I doubt anyone has a turbo NSX from PANSX and Factory X ...
Who the hell is Factory X? :p

Last edited:
So FX has a solution for OBDII that works?

True, but once again I don't expect him to toss aside FX just based on my comments :p

You haven't heard of Factory X? They are the new kid on the block but they have a 700+ hp NSX running 10psi ;) hahaha

KulSecHskY said:
So FX has a solution for OBDII that works?

Yep. Factor X is very quiet about what they do because they want to make sure it is 1) reliable 2) cost effective. I really appreciate that about them.

NetViper said:
Yep. Factor X is very quiet about what they do because they want to make sure it is 1) reliable 2) cost effective. I really appreciate that about them.
Funny how a personal visit can change or solidify someones perspective, or shed light on why they do the things they do.
Originally posted by Len3.8
Told Ya!
Too Funny
:D

Last edited:
LOL guess I'm dead wrong on this haha. o well its happened before =)

:p

I'm a younging ;) live and learn thanks for the patience :cool:

Gentlemen, stop the arguing or I'll stop the car! I do appreciate hearing the opinions, and no, I'm not making a decision based on these opinions alone. I expect to visit Factor X next week. Sometimes you learn something when you listen to others and sometimes you learn what questions to ask and research further. Thanks for the help.

Eric

NetViper said:

That can be said about both Companies being discussed.
Both of them are smart enough not to get too enthrawled with the discussions going on here..

If you were to look at both systems side by side, you would notice that they are very similar. HMMMMmm.

If you have an OBDII car (I do) your options for tuners that can tune a Standalone EMS to work on it are severely limited.
It is fact, or at least reported that One person has it working and One company is working on it. So you know it is doable.
What you don't know about is long term performance. just a matter of who wants to travel down that road. I plan to do just that.
I think I remember Devin saying that he Backdated his car back to OBDI.
I can't speak on FactorX's kit other than riding in the car. I have talked to Ken and Mike and was quite impressed with the professionalism and knowledge that they have. They are good people..

I have been to Performance Autoworx, I have ridden in that damn monster. I have seen the work and have talked to the Person tuning the cars (GJ) I doubt he will ever post anything remotely close to "mine is better than yours", just doesn't seem to be him.
He's probably sitting back and laughing at some of the stuff posted..

(((IMHO))) I really think Gerry came up with his setup for himself, to see if he could come up with a solution for the inadequacies of a prior setup.. Some people were lucky enough to benefit from it.
If you want to know something ,within reason, about your car just call and ask. He seems to really just enjoy cars.

I have said it once and I will say it again. I want to see all of these numbers being reported, reproduced at the Shootout.
Dyno sheets will be made from the same dyno, Drag strips will be filled with witnesses, I will have my Popcorn, Fresca, and Video camera. LOOSERS pay for the private dancers...
;)

KulSecHsky duck and weve..;) Don't let KGP get you in the corner. Use your Jab. :D

KulSecHskY said:
I thought the Bell Turbo Kit was a nightmare and product suport sucked? I read a horror story in the FAQ section about the Bell Turbo Kit...

Add that to things about which you are mistaken today. :) That infamous story should have been pulled from the site long, long ago. Anyone both knowledgeable in such matters and honest would admit that the "tech" doing that install was 95% responsible for the problem. Sure the fuel enrichment system was crude by today's standards but it was the same thing used very successfully on thousands of cars for many years. The idiot working on it ignored the warnings of both Corky and the car itself and paid the price, and yet that one write-up all but destroyed the reputation of the kit and helped to kill it. Plenty of other cars using other systems have suffered a similar fate without such a ridiculous and unjustified diatribe.

Someone also stated that the system was unreliable for GJ. I can't state what happened to his, but most people who had problems with the actual turbos were overdriving them by trying to get too much boost. The other problem for some was frozen actuator rods.

Last edited:
waymilky said:
Gentlemen, stop the arguing ...
Eric: You have entered the wrong forum if you don't want arguement. :D As a few of my forum friends will attest, to keep things interesting, sometimes the FI pot must be stirred. Just thank God that you didn't ask for SC comparisons along with the two turbo systems. :eek: :eek: :eek:

LOL. That's for sure. Then we might just have a thread to rival that of SingleSamurai's in the Photo section. :D In addition, I second the motion to have everyone show up for the FI Shootout in Vegas. It's time for everyone to put their money where their mouth is. (Figuratively speaking, though I'm sure sidebets could be arranged. ;) ) Those who don't show... well, I guess they can do that if they don't mind being referred to as scaredycats for all eternity!!! Haha!

len3.8 said:

If you have an OBDII car (I do) your options for tuners that can tune a Standalone EMS to work on it are severely limited.

It is fact, or at least reported that One person has it working and One company is working on it.

It is fact, I drove it home from Modesto to Newport Beach (400 miles) last night from 2AM to 6:30 AM. Couldv'e made it in 4 hours flat if it wasn't for that damm LA rush hour traffic. I will do a full write up, right now I am pretty burnt but the car runs like a top and everything about the setup, craftsmanship, attention to detail, reliability, value etc. is 110%+

KulSecHskY said:
LOL guess I'm dead wrong on this haha. o well its happened before =)

I'm a younging ;) live and learn thanks for the patience :cool:
I don't want to beat you like a rented mule or anything, but I have a question for you: Do you own, or have you owned an NSX?

B&T, glad to hear your up and running. Now maybe Len can get some OBDII love. :D

no I do not own a NSX. what are you getting at?

also atleast I can admit when I was wrong.

SJS I would not add to what I was wrong about. All I said was there was a bad story about the Bell Kit in the FAQ and geuss what? There is :p

KulSecHskY said:
no I do not own a NSX. what are you getting at?
Just trying to assertain where all your experience comes from. Obviously, anyone is welcome in the forum, but for how long depends on how high your troll index gets. I mean why in the world would a non NSX owner start a thread pertaining to mastering clutch skills in an NSX in order to extend clutch life?

SJS I would not add to what I was wrong about. All I said was there was a bad story about the Bell Kit in the FAQ...
No, you also said "I thought the Bell Turbo Kit was a nightmare and product suport sucked?." As in leading us to believe you had some personal history or knowledge about the system and support thereof.

Next question: Have you heard of Ferrari Chat?

Uh-oh... I sense a hijacking taking place!!! :eek:

I'm with KGP on this one though. Why in the world would somebody with no true knowledge or experience with either company in question and who doesn't even own an NSX, make it a point to try and pass off a truly baseless opinion as a recommendation? Were you just bored?! :confused:

KGP said:
...anyone is welcome in the forum, but for how long depends on how high your troll index gets.
Young KulSecHskY's troll index is near redline as it is. I hope we can avoid a mess that would require Winston's help.

KGP said:
I don't want to beat you like a rented mule or anything, but I have a question for you: Do you own, or have you owned an NSX?

B&T, glad to hear your up and running. Now maybe Len can get some OBDII love. :D

Yes sir, It's me on Deck... I am setting up the shipper as we speak. Going back to Cali... If I can get a damn shipper to pick up my car... Maybe they all have the word on me.

KulSecHskY ya gotta move after you Jab... Go for the body.;)
Don't sweat them, they are just giving you are hard time because they can... We all have gone through it. Read some of the threads so you can step into the ring as a contender... You just can't go toe to toe with the Ali's of prime.;) JK JK JK

B&T I have heard good things about your setup. I know you are grinning from ear to ear. I can't wait for the write up.
I gotta go hijack a damn truck.
Len

Last edited:
Back