• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fat Fives

I have a 92 nsx. I decide I prefer the fat five appearance. I just do street no track. Need recommendations for best tires for this set up. Thanks

Last edited:
AD08r much be a waste since OP will purely be on the streets IMO.

You want the fattest sidewalls and life.

S. Drives or DZ102.
Every time I drive nsx with anything over 200 wear rate it feel like shit. Even on the street. So it all depends what op wants from the tire. S drives are great but don't come in those oem sizes.

Every time I drive nsx with anything over 200 wear rate it feel like shit. Even on the street. So it all depends what op wants from the tire. S drives are great but don't come in those oem sizes.
I feel you, I'm going to try the tires you suggest. Yokohama ado8r, I want to feel how it's like to drive on a higher performance tire.

Pilot Super Sports are amazing and are a 300 wear rating, they just don't come in OP sizes.

S drives are great but don't come in those oem sizes.
Actually, S.drives are available in 205/50R15 and 225/50R16. For some reason Tire Rack doesn't show them as applicable when searching by a 1992 Acura NSX.
But if you select the 1992 Acura NSX as your vehicle first, then search the S.drive tire and look at sizes or specs; Sizes that fit your 1992 Acura NSX are marked with F (front) and R (rear).
At first I thought it might be due to speed rating, but the S.drives are actually rated V and W (front and rear), whereas the the AD08Rs are only rated V and V (front and rear).

I feel you, I'm going to try the tires you suggest. Yokohama ado8r, I want to feel how it's like to drive on a higher performance tire.
I love and would recommend the AD08Rs. I'm on my second set.
But seeing as you are street only, it wouldn't hurt to try out the S.drives either.
I would suggest trying out both of them and see which you like more.
Better yet, seeing as you have two NSXs, get one set for one NSX and the other set for the other NSX, so you could do a back-to-back drive/comparison to feel the difference.

Actually, S.drives are available in 205/50R15 and 225/50R16. For some reason Tire Rack doesn't show them as applicable when searching by a 1992 Acura NSX.
But if you select the 1992 Acura NSX as your vehicle first, then search the S.drive tire and look at sizes or specs; Sizes that fit your 1992 Acura NSX are marked with F (front) and R (rear).
At first I thought it might be due to speed rating, but the S.drives are actually rated V and W (front and rear), whereas the the AD08Rs are only rated V and V (front and rear).
I always search by sizes for my 17/17 setup. But good to know it's there for fat fives. It's great street tire for sure.

I love and would recommend the AD08Rs. I'm on my second set.
But seeing as you are street only, it wouldn't hurt to try out the S.drives either.
I would suggest trying out both of them and see which you like more.
Better yet, seeing as you have two NSXs, get one set for one NSX and the other set for the other NSX, so you could do a back-to-back drive/comparison to feel the difference.

Thats a good idea J. I must get a set of each for comparison. Both my nsx are completely stock and wear the fat fives. Thanks for the update. Diego

Apparently there are two of us on Fat Fives as I too prefer them.
I've been using Kumho Ecsta XS on mine.
The UTQG is 180 which for my driving style is plenty soft and grippy.
They will wear our fairly quickly as they're soft.

Make that three!

Mine are being blasted and powdercoated soon with new Kumho Ecsta V720's in my garage waiting to be mounted. They are the successor to the Ecsta XS's I have on there now.

I've driven other NSX's (even those with lightweight performance 16/17" wheels), and nothing else compares to the responsiveness and feeling from the smaller ones. Function over form....

Dave

food for thought:
just for fun,i compared the weight of the wheel and tire together (the combo) of fat fives with oem 15/16 size yoko s.drives,the type of tires i have,
with my new volk ce-28n's in 17x7.5 with 215/40-17's and 18x9.5 with 265/35-18's,also with s.drives in the sizes i have on the car

oem 15"- front combo 36.2 lb, my 17" front combo 35.8 lb.
oem 16"- rear combo 43.86 lb. my 18" rear combo 43 lb.

so,to me this means if you are willing to pay for these fine wheels,you can get the advantages of bigger size without the disadvantage of increased weight,although there will be some more ride harshness i would assume from shorter sidewalls.

Last edited:
I myself have went with the fat five and loving it.

food for thought:
just for fun,i compared the weight of the wheel and tire together (the combo) of fat fives with oem 15/16 size yoko s.drives,the type of tires i have,
with my new volk ce-28n's in 17x7.5 with 215/40-17's and 18x9.5 with 265/35-18's,also with s.drives in the sizes i have on the car

so,to me this means if you are willing to pay for these fine wheels,you can get the advantages of bigger size without the disadvantage of increased weight,although there will be some more ride harshness i would assume from shorter sidewalls.

No question the lower profile larger tires you have would offer better grip and at the same weight.
My driving style doesn't approach the limits of the oem 15/16 so the less harsh ride and much cheaper tire price suits me.

Those looking for the ultimate performance in a street tire would be best buying one of the "extreme performance summer tires" available in the stock sizes of 205/50-15 and 225/50-16. These include the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R, Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec, Kumho Ecsta XS and V720, Toyo Proxes R1R, Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R, and Falken Azenis RT-615K. All of these are extremely sticky/grippy tires and any of these is an excellent choice for great performance.

Some folks may prefer tires that last longer than the extreme performance tires and are willing to sacrifice some last measure of performance/grip in exchange. The category of "maximum performance summer tires" would normally be a good choice for those folks, but unfortunately, those tires have skewed in favor of larger wheel diameters, and none are available any more in these 15"/16" sizes. Thus there is the need to jump down another performance category to the "ultra high performance summer tires". Two such tires still available in these sizes are the Yokohama S.drive and Dunlop Direzza DZ102.

You unintentionally mentioned the reason the Tire Rack website does not show the S.drive. It's because they have different speed ratings (V and W) front vs rear, not because either of those speed ratings is insufficient for the NSX (both V and W are fine, since they are both superior to the original Z rating on the factory tires). When you look up two different sizes at the same time, it won't show tires whose speed ratings in the two sizes are different from each other. So you need to look up 205/50-15 and put two of those in your cart to order, then look up 225/50-16 in a separate search.

Last edited:
I've driven other NSX's (even those with lightweight performance 16/17" wheels), and nothing else compares to the responsiveness and feeling from the smaller ones. Function over form....
I too like the fat fives for their weight performance capabilities, but I prefer the skinny fives, lol. The skinny fives being another, lighter OEM 15/16 combination offered for certain early model NSXs.

food for thought:

Good job Robbie. One instance, where a larger set of wheels and tires is able to best the OEM combination at weight.
I usually see instances of larger wheels that are, yes, light for the size, but then with accompanying larger tires that weigh more.
People always seem to forget that larger tires will almost always weigh more, even with low-profile side walls.

Do you happen to know the weights of your CE-28Ns alone? They must each be at least 2-3 pounds lighter than the stock wheels (front and rear).

You unintentionally mentioned the reason the Tire Rack website does not show the S.drive. It's because they have different speed ratings (V and W) front vs rear, not because either of those speed ratings is insufficient for the NSX (both V and W are fine, since they are both superior to the original Z rating on the factory tires). When you look up two different sizes at the same time, it won't show tires whose speed ratings in the two sizes are different from each other. So you need to look up 205/50-15 and put two of those in your cart to order, then look up 225/50-16 in a separate search.

Thanks for the clarification Ken!
I do think that it is nice to have so many tire options for the 15/16 combination.

hi, you are jason if i remember right from mini-nsxpo. the weights for the ce-28n's alone are 13.8 and 17 lb.

Back