• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ferrari

How many NSX owners aspire to own a Ferrari????? What percentage of NSX owners "move up" to a Ferrari?????? I see a general trend of people getting a 911/NSX/C6, then moving up to a Ferrari. Opinions, please.:smile:

Unless i was ever able to afford and enzo, or something extreme, id rather have my nsx over a ferrari anyday. I like being able to drive my car everyday, and not have the reliability of a DSM and pay 100k plus.:biggrin:

Besides i think the nsx is sexier.

IMO and upward move toward a Ferrari would mean buying an F360 or up... I consider the F355 a parallel move.

I do plan on owning an F car someday, but that doesn't mean that I couldn't have had one already (see previous statement). I love the NSX for what it is and not what it isn't (read: Ferrari).

As far as the percentage of NSX owners switching over to Ferrari... I have no idea. I can only assume though that many NSX owners are car enthusiasts and would love to own many different wonderful cars (Ferrari not excluded).

I agree with redshift, as much as I think ferraris are great looking/handling cars. I don't think I would ever own one that is as tempermental and costly maintenance wise to own. I want the option to drive my car whenever I want and not think that its costing me a $1 a mile to drive. Of course that could all go away and then I might consider it, but until then, nope. It would just drive me mad if my car was in the shop all the time.

Realistically, as long as I have to work for a living... I don't see myself buying a Ferrari. I have nothing against them, and in fact, I think that there are quite a few really stunning models. But between my mortgage, 401K and savings for future kids, there are plenty of ways that I'd rather spend my money than on an F car.

Now had I won the $276MM Mega Millions that someone in IA won this week... all bets are off:biggrin:

I would like to own a ferrari one day. Maybe a 360 CS. I am not a huge fan of the f430 but maybe it will grow on me. Realitically I would not be able to afford one for a long long time, so I am just dreaming. I would rather have a Gallardo now.

As for what most NSX owners switch for, I would have to say the 996 Turbo. Seems we lose more guys to that car than any other.

Da Hapa said:
Now had I won the $276MM Mega Millions that someone in IA won this week... all bets are off:biggrin:
I had planned on buying a couple of Ford GT's and and Enzo with that pot but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.:frown:

I have an older 512TR (94) love the 12 boxer! I have had three other F cars over the years, along with other exotic and sports cars, both foreign and domestic...each brings its own presence.. Including my NSX! But I do not have to drop my engine in the NSX to change a timing belt! or wait for parts...or have to manufacture..and the pleasure per $$$ ratio is much better..not that it matters much, if your passion is about cars.... but I always have a smile when driving the NSX as it is a fun car to drive! No worries! just my 2c

We have a 550 Maranello - and can't even begin to compare it to the NSX. They are just completely different automobiles.

The 550 is a V-12 front engined car and more of a GT. Lots of torque. Of course, the NSX is really more comparable with the mid engined cars.

Coming from one who could have chosen a comparable Ferrari, I choose the NSX . . . and have been completely satisified with my choice.

However, the 430 has me thinking . . .

i'd prefer to go for a Gallardo, the F cars not really my style =)

..."More than you afford pal. FERRARI!"

Da Hapa said:
Realistically, as long as I have to work for a living... I don't see myself buying a Ferrari. I have nothing against them, and in fact, I think that there are quite a few really stunning models. But between my mortgage, 401K and savings for future kids, there are plenty of ways that I'd rather spend my money than on an F car.

I'm on the cusp of that, very well said Da Hapa/Christian! It's a question of what path to take: "you only live once" type of outlook -or- "sacrfice today, for a better tomorrow" approach.

I am possibly considering a 360 F1 Modena or 360 Challenge Stradale in 2-3years. The funny thing is that I'll drive it too (unless I'm in the snow/rust-belt... :tongue: Scuderian-heaters/climate-control sucks!). If I acuired such a model for $75k-$125k, I'd keep it for 3-4years and wouldn't mind if I got $50k-$75k back... the smiles-per-miles would offset the dollars & sense. . . :wink:

If an investment miraculously gave a ludicrous return that I didn't anticipate, of-course then priorities & rationale/logic changes... :biggrin:

(*cough* F50 *cough*)

Hey Fomart, for a possible troll, that is a really good question, this is going to be an interesting thread. Thanks.

Many years ago I had a Ferrari, red with tan interior. Very nice. That’s why I’m going to change my black NSX interior to tan.
And memories of my Ferrari is why I unhesitantly bought my NSX. So all these years later, a Ferrari is still influencing me.

And the last few Ferrari models have been getting better and better. So I would liketo have one.
But even if I ever get a Ferrari in the future, I will never ever sell my NSX. Never. Or my Cossy.

Re: ..."More than you afford pal. FERRARI!"

Osiris_x11 said:
I'm on the cusp of that, very well said Da Hapa/Christian! It's a question of what path to take: "you only live once" type of outlook -or- "sacrfice today, for a better tomorrow" approach.

Agreed and frankly, had I not met my wife and gotten married... my outlook and approach would likely be dramatically different. I'm a big believer in each man/woman doing what's best for them so long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. But in my book, nothing is more important than providing for my wife and family and that includes cars:biggrin:

I always want to have a Ferrari from day one. In fact, back in 1998, I wanted to get a 1987 Testarossa as a garage queen and just drive my Carrera as a daily driver. But after looking into the service cost and the build quality of the redhead, I decided that I was not willing to spare that kind of money on such a high maintenance and temperamental car despite it being so gorgeous and exotic. I probably was maturing a bit and becoming more practical. With the responsibility of supporting a family and a house in San Francisco, I put that Ferrari thing in the backburner. As much as I love Ferraris, I think the NSX gives me the similar performance but not the financial burden and headache of the Testarossa. I probably will get one after my kid grows up. But hey, by then there might be a real HSC that is just as capable as the F430.
Steve

911 - NSX - C6 (As in Vette?) That is not a progression, maybe!!! The Z06, But the Vette is not in my stairway...

I could deal with a Enzo though...

I guess a progression would be a Porsche TT or a F360+ models.

I don't see that anytime in the near future. I don't think I could afford the maintenance at this age, nor the insurance.

len3.8 said:
911 - NSX - C6 (As in Vette?) That is not a progression, maybe!!! The Z06, But the Vette is not in my stairway...

I could deal with a Enzo though...

haha len what you talking bout, your next car would need 700+ horsepower to be a stairstep up from what you got now :biggrin:

I absolutely love the 360, and better, the F430 is stunning, but i would even like it more if it had a different brandname on it.
Probably the reason why i took the NSX over the 348 and Espirit at the time of my purchase, and also the reason why i still lean more towards the Gallardo then the F-cars.
So, would i 'upgrade' (i dont see it as upgrade) to a Ferrari.....no..... to another car with better specs then the NSX which has styling, which only can come from Italy.... yes.

I wouldn't mind stepping up to a an F-car, but only if I knew it was going to be as reliable as the NSX. I couldn't afford one when i bought my NSX nor can i now. As far as I'm concerned the NSX gives one the most bang for the buck in a full spectrum of car ownership, not just one area like so many other cars do.

If I can marry a rich wife maybe I can justify a used 360 or 430 and I agree with the poster above that if you can buy one for around $100,000 and drive it for a few years, getting $60-$70,000 out of it would be worth it based on how much fun you would have with it.

Just an FYI to those of you who don't already know:

Ferrari F430 to be Banned from USPosted by Mike Joyce at 2006-01-16 13:03:13

Edmunds has a story detailing how the Ferrari F430 does not meet all US crash saftey requirements and is under a pannel now to ban all cars produced after Sept 1,2006. According to the NHTSA, the F430 provides inadequate crash protection for small children and some women. Who in their right mind would have carseats in their ferrari? If the car does indeed get banned it would be a big blow to ferrari, who is selling as many of the fabulous f430's as it van build. Furthermore ferrari doesn't have a model-line update slated for the f430 until 2008, ouch.

Here is that direct link... http://obstinate.org/index.cgi/Ferrari-F430-to-be-Banned-from-US/?blog_id=34

So what should you do know if you're thinking about the F430?...think again and get a LAMBO! LOL.

I'll pull the trigger on a 360 or an F430 one day. Dont' think I'll get rid of the X, though. :wink:

Fomart said:
How many NSX owners aspire to own a Ferrari????? What percentage of NSX owners "move up" to a Ferrari?????? I see a general trend of people getting a 911/NSX/C6, then moving up to a Ferrari. Opinions, please.:smile:
I sure hope I will be a Ferrari owner someday, aiming for a used 360 Modena or 550 maranello in the next few years, NSX+Ferrari will make any garage look good. I have always loved sports cars, Ferrari is probably my favorite car make. NSX is my favorite car.

At the moment I am extremely happy with the NSX, it is my dream car, a CTSC will fix the only dislike I have about the car.

Back