• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Finally hooked up the GoPro in the NSX last weekend - enjoy!

http://youtu.be/JE6BiOBNZrs

The car:
91 NSX
KW V3 347/347lb. springs
OEM 91 sway bars
Comptech Headers
Taitec GT exhaust
TSW Nurburgring's, gun metal, 235/40/17, 275/35/18 with NT01's
OEM Brake system with Hawk HT10 front and Hawk Blue rear, Motul RBF, stainless lines, ABS disabled
Weight: 3060 at 1/2 tank and me in it

Alignment:
Front - Toe: ~1 out, Camber: -3.0, Caster: 8.45
Rear - Toe: 2mm in total, Camber: -2.5

Lots of fun with DDozier and I being the only 2 NSX's there (as usual). I was trying to get lower into the 1:19's as I had ran a 1:19.9X last April when it was 38 degrees ambient temp and I had the car lighter as I was running a 245 rear tire back then (I'm running NASA TTB this year), but I'm happy with the 1:19.77. Next up: Kognition is supposed to be making me a 72" version of illWillem's wing, non-compliance rear beam bushings and toe links, possibly stiffer springs. I had not tried the OEM sway bars yet so this was my first event on them and I must say I really do prefer them over the Dali street bars....I'm one of the few who doesn't like the way the car handles with a bigger front bar so far. With the wing, I'm looking to get into the 18's next time....might just throw test pipes on, strip some weight, and run TT3 for the NASA stuff - this is supposed to be fun, right?

Last edited:
Awesome stuff man. very nice control mid corner. I would LOVE to drive out there with you guys, that would be a lot of fun!

Awesome stuff man. very nice control mid corner. I would LOVE to drive out there with you guys, that would be a lot of fun!

Thanks Willem! - means alot coming from you. If I had my way I would move out to Cali. and enjoy the year round track season with you guys! Hope the AE86 is coming along as planned...can't wait for Mike to call me to tell me my wing is done and shipping out, I'm anxious to see the difference in lap times at that track...I might just take another 150lb.s out, make a splitter to compliment the wing, and move up to TT3 in NASA....or just blow off the whole time trials thing and keep having fun!

Oh no at 3:35 :eek:

Yah that is what happens when you try some left foot braking and get a little eager with the gas pedal in turn 7, it is a slick corner to begin with and SlipAngle79 and I were running pretty hard. We had a great time and it was fun having another NSX to play with. Thank goodness I had the twins with me otherwise the only video I would of had of my car would have been when he lapped me. Great driving Nick.

Putnam is a great place to explore the limits you can push yourself and your equipment harder than just about any other track I run at and when you make a mistake you will most likely get away with it, both of us had a few offs because we were pushing eachother but the good news is we just mowed a little of the grass and move on.

Dave

- - - Updated - - -

Your welcome to come join us anytime, we have several great tracks to play on out this way.

Dave

Last edited:
Nice driving!

How did you hook up your gopro setup and which version is it?

Is it me or does it look like your seat flexes/moves a lot?

Last edited:
http://youtu.be/JE6BiOBNZrs
With the wing, I'm looking to get into the 18's next time....might just throw test pipes on, strip some weight, and run TT3 for the NASA stuff - this is supposed to be fun, right?

I would think that is going to happen with just the wing and splitter, I wonder how much the wing will hurt on your top speed on the straight. Does not really matter much as it should help everywhere else on higher speed tracks like Putnam. Can't wait, but now you got me thinking about coil overs, TypeR wing and a splitter. Will this never end.

Dave

Last edited:
I think someone was driving in the rear view mirror.....oops.....:wink: btw what where your tire hot pressures after that run?

I think someone was driving in the rear view mirror.....oops.....:wink: btw what where your tire hot pressures after that run?

Not sure about Nick's but I target 36 hot in the rear and 36-38 hot in the front. I can tell you that my 64 heat cycled NT-01s were way past greasy, I had little to know grip left but that is what makes them fun. Putnam is know as a tire shredder so for most of us that is were you go to run off your old tires so you can buy new ones. I actually went with three sets of tires to run off.

By the way with Nick behind you, you better watch your mirrors. :wink:

Dave

just blow off the whole time trials thing and keep having fun!

^^^This!

86 is coming along nicely got everything in and its all just waiting to go on the car. Cage and fab is 100% reliant on other people which usually means it'll take longer than it should. :\

Not sure about Nick's but I target 36 hot in the rear and 36-38 hot in the front. I can tell you that my 64 heat cycled NT-01s were way past greasy, I had little to know grip left but that is what makes them fun. Putnam is know as a tire shredder so for most of us that is were you go to run off your old tires so you can buy new ones. I actually went with three sets of tires to run off.

By the way with Nick behind you, you better watch your mirrors. :wink:

Dave

:) Thanks Dave! Yeah, for sure, to be fair Dave was running on well-used sets of NT01's and mine only had one NASA weekend on them before hand. For tire pressures, I do what Dave says: 36 as a hot target, no more. I would hot pit just to check and had to bleed off twice to get down there from 38. Dave was also kind enough to lend me his tire temp guage which revealed some interesting data. This was my 5th time at Putnam and the car had been different each time, from Billsteins with stock springs to the current setup-its starting to shape up...if I could just get that type R transaxle or a 6 speed in there though! DDozier is a wealth of NSX knwoledge here in the midwest.

Thanks Captain - we missed you out there, had my work cut out for me chasing Dave, would have been nice to have another guy with years of laps on that track to learn from too though! ...when will you bring the NSX back out to play?

Thanks Captain - we missed you out there, had my work cut out for me chasing Dave, would have been nice to have another guy with years of laps on that track to learn from too though! ...when will you bring the NSX back out to play?

Ya, when you going to get that thing out and knock the dust off of it. There is some talk of running 10/10ths again in late July. I think the dates are 7/26-7/27. I do not like to run my car in July due to the heat but if you guys decide you want to go I am in. UPDATE - just found out I can not go but there will be a good sized group going from STL if you still want to go.

Dave

Last edited:
Very nice and consistent driving. Great to see you guys driving your cars out there like that!

The wing is going to make a huge difference and you might need to put a vented hood on and/or a little splitter to take full advantage of the wing. However, it looked like your car was a bit loose on entry (coasting and trailbraking). So from your video, i'd actually recommend a stiffer front swaybar and work on carrying a little more entryspeed trail braking and coasting into some of those corners.

Great job Nick !

Very nice and consistent driving. Great to see you guys driving your cars out there like that!

The wing is going to make a huge difference and you might need to put a vented hood on and/or a little splitter to take full advantage of the wing. However, it looked like your car was a bit loose on entry (coasting and trailbraking). So from your video, i'd actually recommend a stiffer front swaybar and work on carrying a little more entryspeed trail braking and coasting into some of those corners.

Thank you Billy, I really appreciate your comments! Yes, you can see there was not much entry speed left in the cars current configuration, a switch to the bigger front bar may have netted me less tail-hangery on entry....and I was thinking the rear wing might do that too? I do still have the 7/8" bars so I will lug the front bar with me again to the next event - better to be prepared in the event that I keep turning the same times (pretty much like last time) and want to try something different, though I will try just the wing and splitter with OEM bars first to get a feel for everything. The gears, oh the gears, are soooo lazy in these USM NA1 5 speeds! Its borderline punishing...in the video, T2 I'm south of 4500RPM at the apex, T5 about 5000K, T9/10 (last two) 4500. Tried 2nd gear in those corners, doesn't work-too close to redline. I can see how gearing has a great effect from engine braking on entry, to power-on, to exit traction. Then the Diff, which I've been told might be "weak" in regards to its on-power breakaway characteristics..."normal" 91-93 NA1's have a different design than 94-96 NA1's and also feature a 70lb.ft. initial torque setting vs. NA1 type R's which carry the updated design plus 90lb.ft. initial torque - sound about right? I would do this everyday if I could.

Back