• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

First drive in my new Turbo NSX & it blows up!

I like the burnt valve theory @ this stage think the best, also i can believe in $ from seller. Stay +

Yes, but that much water would prevent the combustion process, not enhance the opportunity for detonation. Either way, atomized or liquid, detonation should not have occured due to water. Try driving your car into a lake at full throttle and see if you detonate. Bent rods, maybe, but not detonation. From the sound of the OP, it sounds like he had a detonation.

Water is probably not the culprit, but it's highly unlikely that he's going to suck a lake full of water ( after warming it up and then taking it out ) in one stroke to do what you describe in preventing the combustion process. It is possible that a little water could bend a valve and open the chamber.

All that is known is that the one cylinder has lost ALL compression. In my opinion, a hole in a cylinder is going to cause a LOSS of compression, but not necessarily zero compression.

It will be more apparent when the heads come off to see what exactly occurred as it's hard to speculate at this point. The piston could be cracked into 5 pieces, but it's also possible that detonation did not occur as well as all that is known at this point is zero compression. A valve could have dropped and sent unburnt fuel out the exhaust and caused the smoke as he described. That would also show zero compression.

Last edited:
sorry about your loss

when buying a modified car, you should get one with a good paper trail and also tuned by a good well know tuner.

i think in your case it was a freak occurrence. If it did not rain, im sure the owner would have driven it hard.

In this case, the owner is liable for nothing.

Also there are other factors which might not be his fault.

Maybe gas was too low in the tank. During acceleration will lead gas sloushing around and no fuel =- lean condition or a wrong grade of gas was used.

Maybe at 18psi, car was tuned for 100 or 98 octane and 91 was put in.

i highly doubt water had anything to do with it. I pushed water through a 12gph nozzle in to a 4 cylinder motor and had zero issues.

regardless, the previous owner in my opinion should not pay for any repairs.

once again, buying a highly modified car needs good paper work and a good tuner to stand behind it.

sorry to hear about your loss. gota pay to play. hope your car gets back on the road asap.

Last edited:
sorry about your loss

when buying a modified car, you should get one with a good paper trail and also tuned by a good well know tuner.

i think in your case it was a freak occurrence. If it did not rain, im sure the owner would have driven it hard.

In this case, the owner is liable for nothing.

Also there are other factors which might not be his fault.

Maybe gas was too low in the tank. During acceleration will lead gas sloushing around and no fuel =- lean condition or a wrong grade of gas was used.

Maybe at 18psi, car was tuned for 100 or 98 octane and 91 was put in.

i highly doubt water had anything to do with it. I pushed water through a 12gph nozzle in to a 4 cylinder motor and had zero issues.

regardless, the previous owner in my opinion should not pay for any repairs.

once again, buying a highly modified car needs good paper work and a good tuner to stand behind it.

sorry to hear about your loss. gota pay to play. hope your car gets back on the road asap.

I may differ in opinions. If the previous owner knowingly sold him a damaged engine/car then he should be held accountable. If not financially then in public scrutiny.
Problem is only the seller knows for sure.
Stories like this are why highly modded cars bring little or no premium.

I may differ in opinions. If the previous owner knowingly sold him a damaged engine/car then he should be held accountable. If not financially then in public scrutiny.
Problem is only the seller knows for sure.
Stories like this are why highly modded cars bring little or no premium.

I agree. It has come to light by piecing together different things said by the seller during the sale and after the failure that he may have attempted to cover up a problem. If I can find any proof of this I will be taking action. I did not get my nickanme of "Greg Muthafu##ing Z" by being a pushover, I can assure you.

On an update note: The X is loaded up and I will be heading towards Houston within the hour. I will drop the car off at the Dealership in the morning and hopefully we will all know something fairly shortly after that.

I agree. It has come to light by piecing together different things said by the seller during the sale and after the failure that he may have attempted to cover up a problem. If I can find any proof of this I will be taking action. I did not get my nickanme of "Greg Muthafu##ing Z" by being a pushover, I can assure you.

On an update note: The X is loaded up and I will be heading towards Houston within the hour. I will drop the car off at the Dealership in the morning and hopefully we will all know something fairly shortly after that.

Good luck. When I spoke to my lawyer about being "misled" by the seller on a passed vehicle purchase, his answer is "tough luck, used cars are sold 'as is,' you should have had it inspected." Most state laws (though I don't know yours..) pretty much say the same thing.

The Defense/Judge is going to say, "you had all the opportunity to inspect it. Did the seller block you from having it inspeted? No, you CHOSE not to inspect the vehicle and you have no proof that it wasn't your activity, or just happenstance that caused the failure, versus his ill will to sell you a damaged car. "

Unless you can provide a substantial amount of irrefutable evidence that he knowingly sold you s*t and caused damages - it's going to be extremely difficult. I don't know what that evidence might be. The only thing I can think of if he bragged on youtube about finding a sucker and listing all the problem with the car and then laughing about it? That would probably be your best bet.

Go ahead and try, and if you find an angle, please let us know. Most lawyers want a retainer, and you'll be lucky to get that back.

But if you do, let us know!! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Wow Greg. I am just reading this for the first time. It breaks my heart. I know exactly how you feel and it feels awful. My seller didn't help me one bit and I have since come to learn he knew it wasn't running right when he sold it. (though who really knows the truth) Shame on me for now doing a full leakdown and compression test when I bought it.:frown:

My only advice is take it to someone who KNOWS the NSX INSIDE and OUT. Get it fixed right the first time and enjoy it.

It used to be this way in Real Estate; "buyer beware".
Because of all the shysters most states changed that with full disclosures. Now its "seller beware".
Its a matter of time with cars and businesses, thats all. Just not presently.
If you have the Horsepower perhaps you can make a dent in the system.

Last edited:
Greg!!

I am just running into this thread and feel bad for you. I couldn't believe you bought a turbo NSX especially since you said your new project was the Vette. Now the car is down after a few short days.

Knowing you it will all get sorted out and then some.

And by the way happy belated birthday!!

José

wow greg sorry for you loss...which i will not make any friends in saying, but its your loss...

everything has to break sometime.. :(

it really should not be a huge issue to repair, suck it up and have fun...

as far as people saying money from seller and all that, sounds like there was not a thorough test drive prior.... ( FWIW i only skimmed most of the posts )

Since GJ was always so quiet about how and what he built (and kind of an ass about it also) you dont know 100% what was done to the car....it could have stock pistons....noone really knows except GJ and it sounds like you didnt buy it from him...

91-93 octane will not make as much of a difference as the heat delta from cleveland to LA. ever the 2 together it would make alot of noise before poping.

could be bad injector, bad tune (too much timing) bad plug, etc etc....GJ had all kinds of crazy fuel stuff he said it needed, that dumb motronic, etc etc ....hard to place fault or blame at this point.

again, sorry greg....just rebuild and be happy.

way off topic, i just sold my car and our "test drive" was 4-5 hours driving around town...beating the crap outta the car (and an f430)...If you cant pound on it during the drive, can you pound on it daily?

The new owner is cool and i am sure he will stop in to say hello....
Actually sucks that now that its gone, NOTHING else looks as good or interesting as a replacement... :( Point being, once its fixed, you will love it!.

Sad to hear this happen. This reminds me 5 years back i let my friend borrowed my rsx's. On a storming night, pretty much same situation that you were in while you were taking a test drive , streets are flooded. Can't see anything couple feet ahead of you. The second night when i got my car back i felt the engine got a very light unnormal shaking, no signs on so i thought it will go away. The next morning i start my car ready to go work , and the check engine light on. I drove about 5 mile to a shop to check what happen, and they told me that one of the cylinder is gone. After few rev and the engine blown, fire coming out from engine bay. Luckily wasn't within the 5 mile drive. I'm fxxkin pissed after i found out what happen from my friend, he fxxkin drove over a flooded spot when my car had a cold air intake underneath, and NOT letting me know when he knew the car sucked some water into the engine. CAI/weather is to blame so does my friend.

UPDATE:

Put a boroscope in the clyinder and everything is destroyed. The piston is melted to the point that the Acura Tech says he's never seen anything like it. The Sleeve is damaged the head/valves are damaged. The rings are pushed up on top of the piston. :frown::mad:

I'm having it towed to a tuner shop today and they will have the motor out later this week and we will know more.

What a shame. Sorry this happened to you. I know what it's like to have a motor gernade on you shortly after getting a new car/motor. I had a nicely built supercharged Saleen and within in 150 miles the motor let go badly. I actually threw a rod through the block and had antifreeze coming out of the exhaust pipes. I will never go FI again on an engine that wasn't delelpoed for it by the manufacturer.

not really the same, but just to show.. the seller might not have known..

Sold my house in houston. Lived there 4 troublefree years. only problem was heater which i completely replaced before sale as a condition of closing.

2 weeks later i get a letter from the buyer, with photos... pipe in upstairs bathroom burst, totally destroying the floor and ceiling. He commented "You obviously never used that bathroom, because as soon as we started using it, the pipe broke. I guess you only used the downstairs master bathroom."

I never wrote back.. but the truth was we never used the MASTER bath... we had the master bathroom/bedroom as a guest room, which was used 2-3x per year. We used the upstairs bathroom every single day for 4 years, including 2 showers and 1 bath for my daughter daily, plus who knows how many herculean sized dumps down the toilet.

He never asked for help, but it was obvious he thought I screwed him. I felt pretty bad.. but hey... i used that bathroom every single frigging day for 4 years without an issue.

not really the same, but just to show.. the seller might not have known..

Sold my house in houston. Lived there 4 troublefree years. only problem was heater which i completely replaced before sale as a condition of closing.

2 weeks later i get a letter from the buyer, with photos... pipe in upstairs bathroom burst, totally destroying the floor and ceiling. He commented "You obviously never used that bathroom, because as soon as we started using it, the pipe broke. I guess you only used the downstairs master bathroom."

I never wrote back.. but the truth was we never used the MASTER bath... we had the master bathroom/bedroom as a guest room, which was used 2-3x per year. We used the upstairs bathroom every single day for 4 years, including 2 showers and 1 bath for my daughter daily, plus who knows how many herculean sized dumps down the toilet.

He never asked for help, but it was obvious he thought I screwed him. I felt pretty bad.. but hey... i used that bathroom every single frigging day for 4 years without an issue.

Thread hijack!.. My rental property has a automatic sprinkler system, haven't used it since I owned the house - about 4 years, tenant asks if he can use it, I say sure.

One month later, I get a $1500.00 water bill because the pipe(s) for the irrigation system broke. I was pissed. Maybe the previous seller knew, maybe he didn't? No way to check even in the inspection unless you waited a month...

More likely though, had I used them from day 1, wouldn't happened.. The "garden" was really nice when I bought the house, now we're tryign to get rid of the weeds :)

/unhjiack.

OK. In response to the last to posters, I do get where you are coming from, so no others need to discuss there house examples are any other examples. I believe you two are actually dead on the money. The seller had briefly mentioned during the test drive that he hadn't had it out since the previous summer. If thats the case I think it sat up too long without being properly driven and either the fuel injector got gummed up or maybe the fuel pump or something went out due to non use. Yes he did start and run the car often he says but he did not drive it during the winter months.

OK. In response to the last to posters, I do get where you are coming from, so no others need to discuss there house examples are any other examples. I believe you two are actually dead on the money. The seller had briefly mentioned during the test drive that he hadn't had it out since the previous summer. If thats the case I think it sat up too long without being properly driven and either the fuel injector got gummed up or maybe the fuel pump or something went out due to non use. Yes he did start and run the car often he says but he did not drive it during the winter months.

...well.. I had my car on jackstands for almost a year, and it didn't blow up when I started her up a few weeks ago :rolleyes:

An injector wouldn't have gummed up, gas should still be ok assuming you weren't hitting the gas on empty and he wasn't running 87 gasish...

...well.. I had my car on jackstands for almost a year, and it didn't blow up when I started her up a few weeks ago :rolleyes:

A

Well I didn't just start her up, I took her out on a top speed run:rolleyes:

and you don't know that an injector didn't gum up, just as I don't know if that is indeed what happened. But at least I said " I think " !

Last edited:
a few random pics of the trip getting the car that I finally downloaded off my phone.

when me and my buddy went to Virginia last year to pick up my TT Vette we had stopped off at the Bowling Green Museum, so we decided to do it again. I love that place.
16902_.jpg

my buddy Kylan doing a compression test before we even ever started the car
16903_.jpg

16907_.jpg

had a blowout on 3 hrs into the 18hr trip back. Of course no spare. We bought one off a Cirlce K customer LOL ( btw, he told me nice Corvette I got there )
16904_.jpg

16905_.jpg

in my garage the next morning already blown up. But it sure is perty:biggrin:
16906_.jpg

Last edited:
It's either this, or you may have had an injector foul, becoming clogged with some foreign debris, in turn injecting less fuel on it's feed cycle.

Thoughts, anyone?

Well, when I said low it still had at least an 1/8 to a 1/4 of a tank. But I topped it off with 93 to be safe. Well....we see how well that worked out for me:mad::frown:

UPDATE:

Put a boroscope in the clyinder and everything is destroyed. The piston is melted to the point that the Acura Tech says he's never seen anything like it. The Sleeve is damaged the head/valves are damaged. The rings are pushed up on top of the piston. :frown::mad:

I'm having it towed to a tuner shop today and they will have the motor out later this week and we will know more.

Sorry to hear about the results of the borescope insp. Thats' gotta hurt. :frown:

Do you think its a possibility that the fuel degraded over time? Unless the P.O put in fuel stabilizer you could have been running a lot lower octane then the engine required for those high boost numbers and maybe your engine was experiencing severe detonation.

STA-BIL
http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/surv/sta-bil.htm

BTW You might want to add a Meth/Water injection system to your shopping list.

Last edited:
Well, when I said low it still had at least an 1/8 to a 1/4 of a tank. But I topped it off with 93 to be safe. Well....we see how well that worked out for me:mad::frown:

Well you answered my question while I was working on my post...I'm not sure if that is a contributing factor or not now...

Back