• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

First drive in my new Turbo NSX & it blows up!

a few random pics of the trip getting the car that I finally downloaded off my phone.

when me and my buddy went to Virginia last year to pick up my TT Vette we had stopped off at the Bowling Green Museum, so we decided to do it again. I love that place.
16902_.jpg

my buddy Kylan doing a compression test before we even ever started the car
16903_.jpg

16907_.jpg

150? That's not a very good number... unless it's low compression. Was this across all cylinders?

Dam just read the whole thread.Nothing else really comes to mind aside from that f**ken sucks! Sorry about your dilemma.I hope things work out 1 way or another. :frown:

150? That's not a very good number... unless it's low compression. Was this across all cylinders?

That was probably measured without being at Wide open throttle. My car was tested at similar numbers. It makes a huge difference.

That was probably measured without being at Wide open throttle. My car was tested at similar numbers. It makes a huge difference.

I simply turned the key 3 separate times at about 3 secs each, with my foot off the gas pedal. This was done on a car lightly warmed up.

I simply turned the key 3 separate times at about 3 secs each, with my foot off the gas pedal. This was done on a car lightly warmed up.

Do you mean on the gas pedal?

IMO, car should be well warmed up. I've found wide range of readings but I push hard until I get the highest consistent readings. I've found that I've punch it 5 or more times. It sounds bad, probably does some wear, but it makes you feel better when you see a reading of 210 versus 150 :)

So.. this isn't a low comp motor? If it's not a low comp motor, and you did do a comp properly, then yeah, not surprising, that engine was just about dead when you got it. Service manual calls for something lik 145- 195, with many people seing over 200 on a 100K motor. 150 for FI'd without low comp I'd walk from, that's ~25%!With low comp, the compression is expected to dip.. obviously.

Last edited:
Do you mean on the gas pedal?

IMO, car should be well warmed up. I've found wide range of readings but I push hard until I get the highest consistent readings. I've found that I've punch it 5 or more times. It sounds bad, probably does some wear, but it makes you feel better when you see a reading of 210 versus 150 :)

So.. this isn't a low comp motor? If it's not a low comp motor, and you did do a comp properly, then yeah, not surprising, that engine was just about dead when you got it. Service manual calls for something lik 145- 195, with many people seing over 200 on a 100K motor. 150 for FI'd without low comp I'd walk from, that's ~25%!With low comp, the compression is expected to dip.. obviously.

OK. No I meant "off". I was doing a compression test looking for consistent readings nothing more. Yes, it is a low compression motor. It was built for F/I. No builder I know would build a OEM NA motor for F/I and not lower the compression:rolleyes:

UPDATE:

I went to Houston today to take a look. They have the motor out and the heads off so far. Here are some photos

17075_.jpg

17076_.jpg

17077_.jpg

17078_.jpg

17079_.jpg

17080_.jpg

17081_.jpg

17082_.jpg

Last edited:
Those pics were taken by the shop guys. Heres a few I took today with my phone that includes the shop also.

17087_.jpg

17097_.jpg

17096_.jpg

17093_.jpg

17094_.jpg

17098_.jpg

17099_.jpg

17100_.jpg

17101_.jpg

17102_.jpg

Last edited:
Wow an IS-F on the dyno...wonder what work has been done to it? I've always wondered what that car would be like with FI.

Greg - have you thought about a 3.6L stroker engine instead of going FI? Just curious as I have no idea what I'd do if my motor went.

Wow an IS-F on the dyno...wonder what work has been done to it? I've always wondered what that car would be like with FI.

That car is Twin Turbocharged. they have 5 IS-F's on the grounds and they are all TT'd.

Heres the first car they TT'd. Lexus gave them this car to build a TT kit because Lexus claimed it couldn't be done. It obviously DID get done and they used this car at the Sema show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D_yQmghKf8

Greg - have you thought about a 3.6L stroker engine instead of going FI? Just curious as I have no idea what I'd do if my motor went.

LOL. Have you see my Sig.:biggrin:

Last edited:
I saw a TT ISF @ The International car show in Baltimore, MD. This was about 6 months ago and it had twins under the rear bumper cover.

LOL. Have you see my Sig.:biggrin:

So where's the other for sale ads? All I see is the C5. Are you selling ALL your cars or just keeping your original NSX or what? When I saw your C5 for sale I just figured you were selling it to fix the NSX but then I saw your sig.

So where's the other for sale ads? All I see is the C5. Are you selling ALL your cars or just keeping your original NSX or what? When I saw your C5 for sale I just figured you were selling it to fix the NSX but then I saw your sig.

Thats the only ad I've had a chance to do so far. Got alot going on in my life right now. Will work on more ads tonight.

Holy shit this is scary cause I own a JG TT nsx and it's build must be almost identical...do you have the tec3 support system?

Back