• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

First post of my NSX life style!!

Hi everybody~~
I'm new to posting messages, although I've been following this forum for a while now. I've been wanting an NSX for about 6 years now (although I am still only a college student). I decided to join in in all these conversations,since by May next year my dream will come true and I will be ready to buy my first NSX. Since a lot of people say that it took them a while to find themselves a perfect NSX for them I decided to start early on so I can be well prepared come next May. I have been checking ebay NSX pages everyday for the past 2 years and I know I can get a decent 91 for less than 30K. I am just worried that by then there wont be a nice NSX around when I am ready for purchase(and I am tired of waiting, and i'm hoping to purchase the vehicle on the day I get my money). Anyway I seem to be sidetracking off topic. Just wanted to say Hi to everybody in this Forum and please help myfirst NSX buying experience be a pleasant one for the next 10 months. Thanks a lot!!! NSX is the joy of my life!!!

------------------
- [email protected] -

Welcome! Mabye you can post that you would like a ride in an NSX with someone in your area? I'm sure that Ken Sax can help you find an owner not to far from you that can take you for a spin. There might an NSX Club of America meeting near you that you could attend. No harm in being a groupie! Good luck.
John

Do people actually do that? I would love to go for a ride in one? Anyone in Los Angeles willing to take me for a spin so I can get my firs taste and then want one even more. I'm saving up for one, too, but it will be long after May that I get my hands on one.

Originally posted by naaman:
Do people actually do that? I would love to go for a ride in one? Anyone in Los Angeles willing to take me for a spin so I can get my first taste and then want one even more. I'm saving up for one, too, but it will be long after May that I get my hands on one.

Yes, it happens quite often. You can attend meetings in Calabasas(3rd Thurs. of every month) or Huntington Beach(2nd Thurs. of every month). Check out http://www.nsxca.org/
Calabasas meetings are at the RedRobin @7:30pm, not to far from you.
John

[This message has been edited by ANYTIME (edited 03 August 2002).]

Welcome...
I have been involved in both the purchase of my NSX as well as my fathers over the last 2.5 years. I have looked at dozens of used 91s. Anything less than 30k starts to get sketchy from my experience. I would plan to spend 30-35k and make sure you are getting a solid car that has not been ragged by someone. The good car I have seen for 30k was really a mistake and all I can say is my dad is a one lucky man. It would suck to wait so long and be dissapointed b/c of a few k. I have seen some bad nsxes go for 30k. So its all relative I guess. I think the other week a totaled NSX sold for 46k to someone who might not have know about its past. I do not know all the details. I would try and buy a NSX from a fellow NSX list member as you know you are getting a car from a NSX lover who treasured the car like you will and you are not buying from someone who just wanted a fast car and ragged it until something faster came along.
Yeah its really easy to get a ride from a nsxer. Just tell them its your dream car and u have been waiting to buy one for 6 years. More than likely they had to wait some time before getting one as well and can understand. Some might go as far as letting u drive... but I would not ask. I give as many people as possible rides. Sometimes they are friends of friends and sometimes its a kid with an integra I bump into a chevron who dreams of having one someday. I waited 11 years. I do anything and everything I can to give people rides. One time I drove 6 hours to give an nsxer (who rolled his over 9 times when an 18 wheeler pulled over on him) a ride to help him out of his withdrawls. I made it worse though.
Anyway. Its hard to find your NSX. Do not buy what you see on the day you get your money just b/c its there. Take your time and find whats right for what you want. Make sure you are happy. Do not be rushed. There will always be an NSX out there in good shape. Most are well cared for.

There is much to learn about buying a used NSX. Like about the bad bose capacitors, weak radiator hoses on the 93 and down years if I remember right, the snap ring range for transmissions, the window regulators. I would research those kinds of things. Find out what you want to make sure the car is clear of. That way buying will be easier. Its easy to go look at an NSX and lose focus on what needs to be done when you are too busy wowing over the fact that its an NSX and it could be yours.

Also. When looking at NSXes... If you find one in a far away area you are really interested in... an NSX list member will go look at it for you if they are near by. Just ask the list when the time comes. They will give it a through look over and will drive it for you and tell you what they think about the car. Its easier than flying all over the country to see cars that do not meet your expectations. Looking on e-bay and seeing in real life are two different things. TRUST ME! Anyone can make a car look good on e-bay. WHen you commit to a car if a NSX list member looked at the car for you its kinda a tradition to go pick up the car and meet them and do dinner with them or something.

Also. I would pay 60-80 dollars for a dealer to do a pre-purchase inspection of the NSX u think you want. They will look over the car pretty well for you...Assuming its not a dealr in the middle of no here that has never seen an NSX before. Its well worthe the money to know what kind of mechanical shape the car is in. ALso there is a wealth of info on NSX prime under buying a used NSX that will teach you how to inspect for body damage (checking bolts in trunk, under hood, in engine bay, and all the body gaps) and checking for stuff like burning oil and what not with a white cloth. Also some really good info for what to look for when test driving an NSX. Like no stereo and do not let the owner talk to you. Listen for noises and stuff. Some things you can do with the throttle and gears to se how the car is running.

Good Luck and I hope this helps. I promise you a well chosen NSX will not dissapoint.

This is excellent advice, td2k_nsx, complete and well stated. Very nice.

One clarification:

Originally posted by td2k_nsx:
weak radiator hoses on the 93 and down years if I remember right

The coolant hoses are no weaker on the NSX than on any other car. However, replacing coolant hoses is a good idea on ANY car that's over eight years old, and the NSX is no exception. Hence the advice to ask if they've been replaced.

It's just like checking to make sure the timing belt and water pump have been replaced on any early NSX. It's something that should be done, AND it gives you an idea of how well the car has been maintained.

I graduated from Carnegie Mellon in 1997. I live in Pittsburgh now. I still go the UC gym to play basketball once in a while and I have a red SC NSX. There aren't many in Pittsburgh...

Originally posted by nicholas421:
i see you are from carnegie mellon. i graduated from carnegie in '96.

The quality of a CMU education has no better testimonial that multiple recent alumni with NSXs in the garage.
smile.gif

hey hammer_152131,

Are you by any chance Asian? I've seen the red NSX drive by a few times, and if you happened to drive around and spot another asian kid screaming with his jaws dropped, then that'd be me!
smile.gif
Oh, and once the red NSX was parked outside the UC circle and I went up close to it to check it out and the damn alarm went off. and I didn't even touch the car!!!
smile.gif
Would this be your car? Please let me know, I'd love to take a close look at your car!! perhaps take some pics
smile.gif

Thanks

------------------
* i need to be well prepared when I get my own NSX. Gimme some NSXducation people!!

- [email protected] -

Hi every body!

About giving rides in our NSX, that makes me think that during my two first years of ownership I have noted in a little book the name of every person I gave a ride.

It was well over 70 different persons.

And I remember that it was very pleasant happenings every time.

One time a mid thirty years old woman who doesn't like speed and cars especially asked me for a ride because she finded so nice and attractive my NSX.

She was absolutely delighted and enjoyed TOTALLY the ride even though if I did some 140 km/h ( around 90 mph ) in little residentials streets* between two stops ( I made some very hard braking - my pleasure to make people believing that we won't stop before the line! ). She told me that she wasn't afraid and couldn't also believe her eyes when watching the speedo! She was all grins.

So fast while feeling so safe and comfortable at the same time.

The fun thing with such car is to prove that speed can be done safely when you are in a first class balanced car.

And people are also astonished by the design beauty and comfort of interior ( first class ride in a real sports car ).

Another woman told me that an NSX is in cars simply what "haute couture" is in fashion
( creative and exclusive art work of very high quality )

Because driving an NSX is always a thrill and a great moment, it is simply natural for us to share our pleasure and this is why I never refuse a ride from somebody showing interest in high performance driving.

Hope to meet that kind of Mc Laren F1 owner!

effer

* Don't worry there was nobody and there was no cars parked on the side ( only in driveways... )

Back