• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fix for the Basch Intercooler Piping

MikeH brought his car by my shop and wanted a fix for the intercooler piping on the Basch Kit.
He mentioned that he thought it leaked and extremely difficult to install. MikeH tracks his car and wanted something that he could have more confidence in.

Before

Photo-0151.jpg

After
Photo-0171.jpg

With a few off the shelf parts and a little welding we were done in 20 minutes.

Hoover and Rob over at TurboHoses are pretty badass. My car is actually making around 11psi now because I must have had a slight boost leak, even when I managed to get the old elbow on properly (atleast as properly as it was going to get).

Also, their elbow fix gives you a much more flexible bypass valve position (you can spin the joint w/ the bypass valve bung).

Thanks Hoover!

-mike

correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see an intercooler anywhere in there...

OneRedNSX said:
I think he meant to say charge pipe. Maybe he bent over and put his hand on the charge pipe and said damn, that thing needs an intercooler, and the word kind of stuck in his mind.:biggrin:

Just having some warm fun.:tongue:

OneRedNSX said:

ya, hoover made a typo in the original subject.. probably because the whole reason i went over to his shop was for him to help me mock up some intercooler piping. this was just a side benefit of the trip..

-mike

why are you using a bypass valve and not a blow off? also why is the bypass venting to atmosphere? and not back into the intake stream?

01blacks4 said:
why are you using a bypass valve and not a blow off?

because a bypass valve is open during idle/low load conditions and doesn't begin to close until a certain (more positive) pressure level is reached in the manifold. while the valve is closed (throttle open, on boost), in the event of a sudden lower pressure condition (lift throttle/shift) the valve is pulled open again to let the extra air escape. also, having the bypass valve open during idle/low load conditions reduces compressor surge which makes life much easier on the compressor.

a blow-off valve only performs the latter and is closed under idle/cruise/boost conditions.

also why is the bypass venting to atmosphere? and not back into the intake stream?

why would i want to vent hot (relative to ambient) compressed air back into the intake? our cars use a MAP sensor in the intake manifold, so there is no need to feed the air back into the system. besides.. when you combine my hatch spacers with the placement of the bypass valve outlet, i can dry my hair off in under 30 seconds by leaning over the rear vent between the hatch glass and the trunk!

-mike

OOOOPPPSSSS....
I've got intercoolers on my brain....:redface:

Originally Mike came in and we mocked up possibilities to retrofit and IC for him, then we ended up making him a new charge pipe.

peiserg said:
isn't 11 psi a bit much without any cooling system? is your engine built?

Damn, I am still a little afraid to run 10psi and I have the aftercooler on there with low comp motor.

Mikeh, You are a brave man!

Last edited:
Back