• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Flat tire at Cars and Coffee

I got to Cars and Coffee early enough to get my favorite spot today. As I was walking around the car I could hear a hiss. As it turns out my new rear Yoko had what looked like a 1/4 bolt head sticking out of the tread. I thought of taking out my spare and changing the wheel, but did not want to do that where I was parked. So I decided to drive over to the Shell Station near Costco and do it there. I thought how lucky I was to have kept my spare tire in the front. I often debate taking it out of the car. Steve Riter was kind enough to offer to follow me over to the station. I indicated if I had trouble that I would call him. Such I cool guy.

Anyway I get over to the Shell Station and proceed to remove the rear wheel. I was going to pull the bolt out but decided to leave it in. I then proceeded to fill the spare with air via the electric pump that comes with the NSX. It took a bit of time but finally I had a full tire. Then I tried to put it on the rear. Damn, if it would not fit my Racing Brake two piece rotor. I then said several bad words very loudly. And began to put the bad tire back on. I then filled it with air and got on the freeway and drove with my emergency lights on. I got off a couple of miles before my off ramp to insure I still had enough air in the tire. Thankfully, it was a slow leak. I made it home and jacked up the car again and removed the tire.

I took the tire to Allen Tire Company. They have mounted my tires when purcased from the Tirerack. And I have had them do my alignment over the years. They have really good equipment. The guy took the tire off of the rim and said he could repair it. He had a special type of plug/combination patch that I had never seen before. After cleaning the inside he wet the area with fast drying adhesive and then pulled the backing off of the patch. He stuck the one end through the tire and pulled it from the outside. Once it made contact on the inside it looks like a conventional patch. He then made sure it was securely adhered. Then he remounted and inflated the tire and then cut off the piece sticking through the tire so that it was flush with the tread. Pretty cool system.

Manny

Sorry about the puncture in your new tire. The only bad part of repairing a tire is that the speed rating is reduced. But where in SoCal can you actually get up to the rated speed of high performance tires.

Damn, if it would not fit my Racing Brake two piece rotor.

This is the reason why I don't have my spare anymore and got AAA Premier instead. :smile:
Anyway, glad the leak wasn't that bad and you were still able to drive on it.

were you able to deflate and place you spare back in the front compartment?

As for the spare, I was able to deflate by unscrewing the spring in the valve. The tire went back to its original size and shape. Kind of cool. Unfortunately I am not putting it back in the car as it won't fit. What I am not sure of is how much a difference the spacer on the rear 25mm had to do with it hitting the caliper. I may experiment and take the spacer off to see if the spare goes on more easily.

As for the speed rating. That is a good question. I know that with only a patch the speed rating drops. But with a patch/plug combo, I wonder. The hole is not on the sidewall but closer to the center of the tire. I will do some research and see what I find in terms of tests. I am sure it is a matter of technique and process.

When I purchased the tires I did not pay for the extra insurance. It would have cost about $80+ and I figured how often does one get a blowout that cannot be repaired. Go figure.

I also pay extra for the distance towing via AAA. That would have been my next move-a flat bed truck.

Manny

Last edited:
you would need a thicker spacer to clear if it still hit with the 25mm on.I like many here rely on AAA

manny,
another option is a different spare

i have a comptech spare to clear the brembo indy's

Gil has a different kind of spare to clear his stoptechs.

What I am not sure of is how much a difference the spacer on the rear 25mm had to do with it hitting the caliper. I may experiment and take the spacer off to see if the spare goes on more easily.

you would need a thicker spacer to clear if it still hit with the 25mm on.I like many here rely on AAA

Isn't the problem that the spare isn't large enough in diameter to clear the upgrade size brake rotors (and thus a caliper that now sits further out)?

The Racing Brake kit I have requires a minimum of 17" wheels. If I recall, the spares for the NSX are either 15" or 16" depending on the year.

Last edited:
I assumed caliper but he said rotor..could the rb rotor be too large?:confused:

I had not thought about the fact that my 2001 came with 16/17 inch wheels. So the spare is may not be the largest that the NSX came with. Does the 2002-2005 spare a larger one than the earlier model?

As for the Racing brake I am running the 2002 oem wheels that work really well with the racing brake setup. The two piece rotors are larger in the front and use a cast iron extension to move the caliper out. I believe the rears are also larger rotors and also included a new cast iron extension pushing out the calipers. So when I tried to put the spare wheel on, the caliper actually was hitting the wheel.

I do love these brakes

So is the 2002-2005 spare a larger wheel?
Manny

Isn't the problem that the spare isn't large enough in diameter to clear the upgrade size brake rotors (and thus a caliper that now sits further out)?

The Racing Brake kit I have requires a minimum of 17" wheels. If I recall, the spares for the NSX are either 15" or 16" depending on the year.

What about a later model spare tire as they are stock with 17" wheels? Would that clear and also fit in the same compartment space

So Tom what did you end up doing for your spare? Do you have it stored in the front of the car?
Manny

I always carry a plug kit in my trunk and have used it numerous times and I am usually back on the road in <5 minutes. Any car parts store sells a kit and it will fix most flats, some include CO2 for inflation, I use them on my dirt bike as well.

I actually think I have one but it is most likely 4 or 5 years old. I will take a look. I guess that plus a can of green stuff might work. Though I hear horror stories over trying to get the green stuff out of the tire. So perhaps it is the plug kit. I think I have some C02 cartridges from my cycling days. I will take a look. Thanks,
Manny

my spare is in my garage. i have it for long trips, although i didn't use it for nsxpo.. so i don't know why i have them

What about a later model spare tire as they are stock with 17" wheels? Would that clear and also fit in the same compartment space

The later model year uses the 16" spare.

Here are the two NSX spares (left is 15" for 1991-1996, right is 16" for 1997-2005):
P0002554.JPG

Taken from
http://1017.org/nsx/BrakeMods/index.html

The later model year uses the 16" spare.

Here are the two NSX spares (left is 15" for 1991-1996, right is 16" for 1997-2005):
P0002554.JPG

Taken from
http://1017.org/nsx/BrakeMods/index.html

Bummer, is it the ID of the rim that hits the BBK or the spoke? would a small spacer help?

I have used my spare a couple times...unfortunately...glad I had it...sucked to have to use it. I have OEM brakes though...

Edit: took a look at pictures looks like limiting factor is the ID of the rim, not sure if it's stepped as it get closer to the inside or not on the spare, in which case a spacer could help but maybe not ideal. Might be a solution if you need to "limp" it to some place close by.

Last edited:
I believe it is the rim of the spare that hits the caliper. I am going to try Tino's comptech spare to see it that clears. I suspect it would. I wonder how hard it is to get one of those spares?
Manny

The reason why it wouldn't fit is because of the diameter of the brakes + the caliper.

From that same website you can see the OEM 11" stock brakes from the '91-'96 cars (both in the 16" front wheel)
before.jpg

Then the newer '97-up 11.8" front brakes (note the gap between caliper and the OEM 16" wheel)
After.jpg

The Racing Brake 2 piece rotors are 324mm in diameter (or ~12.8"). From the second picture it's easy to see that a 16" wheel won't fit the additional 1" of rotor diameter. For it to fit, based on the 2nd picture, you'd need about a 0.5" gap, which just isn't there. :smile:

Last edited:
I think the only spacer that would work, would be one that pushes the wheel so far out it's not inside the wheel anymore. That would be like a 5" spacer? :confused: :biggrin:

It would have to look something like this. :biggrin: (Hellaflush YO!)
post-13653-1131662895.jpg

I think the only spacer that would work, would be one that pushes the wheel so far out it's not inside the wheel anymore. That would be like a 5" spacer? :confused: :biggrin:

It would have to look something like this. :biggrin: (Hellaflush YO!)
post-13653-1131662895.jpg

Well some NSX owners are going that route anyway...so now they can still be big pimpin on their spare Yo! :tongue:

Back