• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For all you naysayers... the new NSX has been confirmed by Honda CEO Mr. Fukui

While it's fun to speculate I think the possibilities of a 2750 lb NSX are nil.

Modern crash requirements dictate otherwise. A Lotus Elise with a 4 cyl is one thing. But a production 2750 lb NSX is something else. That would have to be radically stripped and decontented. Ain't gonna happen. We'll be REAL lucky to see anything less than 2900, IMHO.

The revised S2000 also indicates that Honda is willing to sacrifice some top end revs for practical, real-world torque. And that's a good sign for the next NSX.

Also...

You can forget about a hybrid NSX/DualNote. No one's going to want a NSX that performs nicely for a few laps - and then is saddled with all that dead battery-motor weight for the rest of the laps.

Hybrid technology is one thing on the open road and we're likely to see Honda hybrid SUV and passenger cars, but for a car like the NSX, which has such a strong track heritage...it just ain't gonna happen either.

If you don't believe me...drive a hybrid econobox like the Honda or the Toyota and drive it aggressively for awhile. You'll soon realize that while hybrid is neat for around town driving and long periods of steady-state recharging, it just wouldn't be desirable or practical for a car like NSX.

I'll be real happy with a 2850 lb, 400 hp NA v6 with stunning evolutionary styling. If the new NSX turns out to be a toad - there's always the Ford GT.

-Jim

Jimbo said:

Hybrid technology is one thing on the open road and we're likely to see Honda hybrid SUV and passenger cars, but for a car like the NSX, which has such a strong track heritage...it just ain't gonna happen either.

If you don't believe me...drive a hybrid econobox like the Honda or the Toyota and drive it aggressively for awhile. You'll soon realize that while hybrid is neat for around town driving and long periods of steady-state recharging, it just wouldn't be desirable or practical for a car like NSX.

But then again, I don't think the designers of those hybrid econoboxes have fun or sporty factor in mind when they first concieved those cars. For the purist, it might still be perferable to have conventional gas engines, but it is not too far fetched to say that hybrids technology might be beneficial to cars intended to function like say BMW M5 and the like... I mean you never know what technology can/will do.

But I agree, from the hybrid technology that's avaliable today, it is probably more desirable to stick with convetional combustion engines for cars like the NSX.

Hope Honda comes up with another shocker (a good shocker that is... :p)...

I mean you never know what technology can/will do.

Within reason we know. Hybrid technology is well known and the limits conform to the laws of physics. There seems to be a misconception that it's technically feasible in the near term to be able to recharge batteries from regenerative braking in such a manner that would be viable for a track car.

While some of that enormous braking energy can be used to recharge batteries, most of it is loss to heat. Modern hybrids recharge mostly from steady state driving. In practical terms this means this...

A hybrid NSX could theoretically have great performance on a road course for one or two laps. Then the batteries would be gone. At that point the car would be using the standard gas engine exclusively. You could only come back and do a few more high-performance laps until the batteries were recharged. So, assuming you made those two laps in the early morning, you could drive on a flat Interstate at a constant, conservative speed for 6 hours, and then come back for two more laps in the late afternoon.

To me, that's not what an NSX is all about.

Now, of course, groundbreaking inventions in battery designs could happen any day, but we would hear about it long before it reached a production car.

Such is the state-of-the-art.

-Jim

Jimbo said:

Modern crash requirements dictate otherwise. A Lotus Elise with a 4 cyl is one thing. But a production 2750 lb NSX is something else. That would have to be radically stripped and decontented. Ain't gonna happen. We'll be REAL lucky to see anything less than 2900, IMHO.

Very interesting points Jimbo.

I agree that a 2750 lb target would be hard to reach but if you consider what Honda did with the Type R and the Zanardi Edition using the original design I think it would be possible with today's technology.

Carbon ceramic disk, lighter wheels, lighter chassis by using computer optimisation, some composite parts and different Al alloys, titanium exhaust and suspension parts, deleting spare tire, OEM headers...etc.

Of course they will have to use some composite technology...namely for the crash requirements!

Jimbo said:

The revised S2000 also indicates that Honda is willing to sacrifice some top end revs for practical, real-world torque. And that's a good sign for the next NSX.

Being able to achieve a flat broad torque curve is the key point and doing so in a 10K rpm package would be a real feast.

NetViper said:

Who the hell wants to shift into second a 60 @ 10,000 RPM... not me..

Every driver who "had/wanted/dreamed of" the occasion to drive a real Formula race car for the road.

But I repeat, this must be achieved in keeping a flat broad torque curve.

I understand and I agree that nobody wants a peaky high reving low torque engine.

Me the first!

Today's technology makes possible the use of very low friction material inside cylinders liners...

I would also be very happy with a 400 hp 2900 lb package...

Cheers everybody!

:)

Jimbo said:
While it's fun to speculate I think the possibilities of a 2750 lb NSX are nil. ...We'll be REAL lucky to see anything less than 2900, IMHO.
Maybe right. But, Honda surely has their bench-marks for the new NSX just as they did with the original design. I have to believe that a logical weight benchmark for the new NSX would be to weigh-in less than the 360 Modena, which weighs in at 2840.

Maybe it will have wings and fly like an airplane. :D

Seriously, you guys are discussing this stuff as if you have real information to base this on. Where did 2750 lbs come from? 3.5L V6?? 380 hp?? 10,000 RPM?? You guys are just pulling this crap out of your ass. If we have learned one thing about Honda, we have to wait until they make an official announcement. Until then, one guess is as good as another.

Eric5273 said:

Are you implying it won't? Dammit! Another dream crushed like a bug!
:(

But seriously, I am Honda and we're coming out with a million HP NSX next year, so everyone just stop with the speculations!:D

[This is a big fat lie!:eek: ]

Eric5273 said:

Seriously, you guys are discussing this stuff as if you have real information to base this on. Where did 2750 lbs come from? 3.5L V6?? 380 hp?? 10,000 RPM?? You guys are just pulling this crap out of your ass. If we have learned one thing about Honda, we have to wait until they make an official announcement. Until then, one guess is as good as another.

Considering some of your previous posts, that's like the pot calling the kettle black. But "If we have learned one thing about Honda, we have to wait until they make an official announcement" is something I definitely agree with. But it always fun to discuss!

I know Honda personnel peruse this forum so there's no harm in letting them know what we'd like.

for those using the z06 as a performance target.... keep in mind that the c6 will be on sale shortly. the base model is allegedly slated to produce about the same power as the current z06... and the new z06 (or whatever they end up calling it) is anyone's guess.

Look at Honda's history folks. As their vehicle line move to next generation, they gain more weight due to new safety/environmental requirements. The realistic way to reduce weight is using uncommon/exotic materials as many have suggested. This drives up the cost.

Which will not happen. Honda will not make the same mistake twice by selling NSX at high dollars at a rate of 400/yr.

New NSX will likely be priced lower than current rates with slightly higher weight. I believe 3100-3200 lbs is probably where it will wind up. Closer to 3100 if no Targa.

Silver F16 said:
Look at Honda's history folks. As their vehicle line move to next generation, they gain more weight due to new safety/environmental requirements. The realistic way to reduce weight is using uncommon/exotic materials as many have suggested. This drives up the cost.

Which will not happen. Honda will not make the same mistake twice by selling NSX at high dollars at a rate of 400/yr.

New NSX will likely be priced lower than current rates with slightly higher weight. I believe 3100-3200 lbs is probably where it will wind up. Closer to 3100 if no Targa.

Base on your argument, Ferrari, Lamborghini...etc has been making a bunch of same mistakes since they began building cars...

And I don't think one can base one's speculation on the NSX solely on other cars in the Honda line-up.

I think it really depends on what Honda's target class is for the NSX. If it is to compete with the likes of Ferrari 360 or maybe even Porche 911 Turbo it could very well be priced higher than the current NSX and with better specs. If Honda intend to compete with the likes of Corvette or even maybe Z350 or Supra it'll probably be less expensive, less exotic,... But I sure wish Honda had the pranching horse in mind this time again...

Japanese sports car as a whole is placing more and more emphasis in "value".

Just look at the G35, RX8, 350Z. These are not as exclusive as their older counterparts when new. I wouldn't be surprised if the NSX was really competitive with the corvette. Both in performance, and in price.

if they got competitive in price with a corvette ..all our current NSXs would be worthless...would seriously devalue any NSX on the market......

the other japanese high end sports car back in the day...RX-7, Supra, 300ZX were no where near the price of a 91 NSX

Jimbo said:

The M Coupe is going down the hardcore road. The current model weighs in at 3100 lbs. And its successor, the Z5 is to weigh supposedly 2200 lbs, but other sources say 2400 lbs. Yes this is with an Inline-6 motor in it. An all steel MR2 weighs less than 2900 lbs and that's with an iron block and the turbomachinery too. Todays models want to offer more room and better NVH ratings, which is why we've gotten used to more and more sports cars getting bloated... (STi, Evolution, 350Z). But if they really want to, the technology today to build lighter cars is out there. Any TRUE sports car if built from the ground up, can be light. Its just that cars like the STi, and Supra have other agendas.

http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24/News/0,,1369-1372_1248710,00.html

Is there room in the acura lineup for a acura badged coupe version of the S2200?That would satisfy many who want a performance coup at that price point allowing Honda to maintain the nsx as an expensive halo car.I still believe that Acura will build the next nsx with two engine choices,and offer more options.

I know Honda personnel peruse this forum so there's no harm in letting them know what we'd like.

right.. well ill take that central driving position, performance on par w/ the best in the world under 250,000, 2600lb curb weight if possible, and another timeless design.

Oh and can i please have the same reliability and anything other than bose.

thanks honda

Sincerely,
Randy

docjohn said:
Is there room in the acura lineup for a acura badged coupe version of the S2200?That would satisfy many who want a performance coup at that price point allowing Honda to maintain the nsx as an expensive halo car.I still believe that Acura will build the next nsx with two engine choices,and offer more options.

I agree with this... They could make a hard top version, style it a little different, maybe boost the HP and sell it for 40-45K.

As for the Z06 as the target... I read the next Z06 will have 500 HP... It would be a shame to have a new NSX come out and beat the Z06, only to be creamed by the next Z06.

I altready stated this in my poll about "How Honda should build the NSX" from a financial point of view.

We keep on reasoning using as base the huge mistake Honda did with the 1st gen NSX- They produced it, very well, and they almost never updated it...

With a 2nd gen, if ever produced, they should create a great product (again) and then upgrade it every 2-3 years for 15-25ps and 3-5k$ cost. Exactely as Porsche does...

The NSX would be able beat the actual Z06 *no*. And in two years we would beat the next Z06 *again* and so on...

No need (and no possibility IMO!!!) to create a monster now that will be the same in 10 years from now...

PS: of course this goes again to people like us who bought used NSX and virtually got the same car as new buyers...

As long as they match or slightly better all areas from looks to handling, I would be happy with factory boost, more tire room, and better documentation on the computer management.

RacerX-21 said:
As long as they match or slightly better all areas from looks to handling, I would be happy with factory boost, more tire room, and better documentation on the computer management.

I agree with this 100%. The next NSX don't need monster horsepower, the current generation is already fast even when the stats don't seem so. Just improve a little of everything will make the next generation NSX contend with the big boys. Honda is about efficiency.

Back