• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For all you naysayers... the new NSX has been confirmed by Honda CEO Mr. Fukui

I got the NSX because of the V6, because of good gas mileage, because of good reliability, handling, and performance. The NSX has a good compromise of everything. I'm not saying that the NSX shouldn't get a V8. But it should remain the most well balanced, economical, and practical supercar produced.

One of my priorities when I picked the NSX was reliability. I have no time and money to due with the shop or even Acura Dealer. I always end up getting pissed. About two months ago, I dropped off my car with a one week advanced appointment to have the driver and passenger window regulators replaced. When I got back to the dealer in the afternoon, my car sat on the same spot since I left at 7:15am in the morning. The dealer ended up wasting my time and had to re-book my appointment.

Anyway, power, torque, engine configuration, displacement, ¼ miles, 0-60 is not everything in a performance vehicle but they certainly do sell cars. Power-to-weight ratio or more common Weight-to-power and balance of the car are the keys. For example, any modern one-liter sport bike out of the box can achieve 0-100 mph in under 7 sec. How often do you hear Formula 1 drivers talk about the horsepower after the qualifying lap? They usually talk about the balance of their cars and hardly mention the lack of hp. If Honda manages to upgrade the current V6 to high-output V6 or a V8 without any weight penalty or better yet on a SlimFast diets without offsetting the balance of the vehicle, I’ll be in line for the next gen. NSX. Weight-to-power of 7 to 7.5lb/hp is an achievable goal. Honda did not engineer the NSX to be a straight-line performance vehicle in the late 80’s and would certainly not for the next NSX. Other than power, I would also welcome the addition of a F1 type sequential transmission to eliminate any human error!!

Talk about efficiency, I took my car to the track (over 150 miles away) with ¾ tank full from my home. I ran the entire day until it was on vapor and couldn’t believe that I got 333 miles out of this tank and took 17 gallon to top it off, which averaged to 19.6 mpg. It was a joy to cruise around the city and also around the track.

In all fairness "nearly as much car at half the price" was a good way to sum up what the NSX was in the early 90's. It just depends on what you want to be half the price of.

In Chevy's case, they are trying to be half the price of the 'half the price' car, which is similar in many ways to what the WRX and EVO are doing. Putting a strong engine, in an otherwise crappy car (sure an over simplification, but really, without the crazy engine in the top end STi, it is really a crappy car and would get absolutely zero attention) does not make a car exotic.

The NSX is a solid car in the exotic space, even setting the engine performance aside (granted, given the HP gains of most every other car in the past few years this may seem like sour grapes), but the NSX is a desirable car without being ridiculously fast.

Now, that is where the NSX separates itself from the Z06 and all of the sleeper cars chasing behind it. The NSX is spectacular, even today, and any replacement NSX needs to be even more so. Without even starting it, you know it is something special.

Before starting the WRX STi, it may as well be a Kia Rio, having a econo-rocket is probably fun going light to light versus [insert car here] and getting an interesting reaction, but those cars are just not in the same league as what someone will see in a Ferrari/Lambo/Lotus/Etc. (exotic ranks), and that's where Honda needs to remain.

Zuerst said:
I think it really depends on what Honda's target class is for the NSX. If it is to compete with the likes of Ferrari 360 or maybe even Porche 911 Turbo it could very well be priced higher than the current NSX and with better specs. If Honda intend to compete with the likes of Corvette or even maybe Z350 or Supra it'll probably be less expensive, less exotic,... But I sure wish Honda had the pranching horse in mind this time again...

IMO it must compete with Porsche, Ferrari, et al. or else it wouldn't be an NSX! The intent of the original NSX was to "build a lightweight mid-engine sports car that would advance the state of the art and radically alter the accepted perceptions of exotic, limited production sports cars". If they decide to build a car that is just another 350Z, RX7, or S2000 they should rebadge it and call it anything else.

They said they will build another NSX . They took the world by surprise the first time. Come on Honda, bring it on!

Spending 100K, I could care less about gas mileage; althought it's nice to have good gas mileage :D I want a V8 in the next NSX...pretty please Mr.Fuku! :D

aesthetics people! aesthetics!!!

hmmm... Above: as usual, alot of speculation, allusions, and so forth(wishes/wants) Hey, that's cool...! But, the real-deal for majority of sales of a potential new gen' NSX will be it's appearance, ie. aesthetics IMHO. It's about looks, looks, looks...baby! Seeing the current trend from Japan in terms of their coupes/sports-cars: the ever-so analogous Audi-TT type shape seen in Nissan's 350z / Infinti's G35, Mazda's RX-8, Toyota's Solara / Lexus's SC430, etc, etc, etc.

SHOULD WE ANTICIPATE A BEAN-LOOKING CAR...?!?
:eek:

O-Ace said:
Spending 100K, I could care less about gas mileage; althought it's nice to have good gas mileage :D I want a V8 in the next NSX...pretty please Mr.Fuku! :D

i agree to a certain extent. as an exotic sports, i care about the reputation, performance, quality and reliability....the last i would worry about is the mpg......it's only a weekend ride for most drivers out there so i don't think that's going to change people's mind about buying.

by the way, you've just changed his last name from Mr. Old to Mr. Prosperity.:D

bunny.jpg

Don't forget that the DualNote uses an ultracapacitor- not batteries. So you're not doing the chemical charge, but rather an electric charge.

Blue Knight said:

by the way, you've just changed his last name from Mr. Old to Mr. Prosperity.:D

For some reason my Province won't let me have Mr. Prosperity as a custom licence plate.

I'll try FUGU ME next and see if that flies.

Zuerst said:
I believe it's FUK-U! with an inverted 'i' :D

BUAHAHAHAHA!!! Thanks for making my day Zuerst! :D

On a serious note, It's pronounced foo - koo - ee if anyone cares to know...:)

On a MORE serious note:

Uehara - San, I know you're reading this. With all due respect, Please, PLEASE, convince FUKUI -San to allow you put a V-8 in the next gen NSX, or else we'll defect from Honda!! Screw the Japanese Automaker's Gentlemen Agreement on HP limitation!! YOUR Target market is here, AMERICA DESU!! We're really serious about this!! Joudan dewa arimasen!! We don't care if we get a small-displacing, Naturally breathing 3.5 liter V-8 (as long as it puts out at least 450+bhp and revs past 10krpm with broad, flat torque curve), we just want V-8 power!!

Onegai shimasu, Uehara - San!!! We beg of you!!! :(

Last edited:
Tony Montoya said:
I love the NSX as it is. No need for a V-8.

...And with Honda's group of engineers, an extremely high output AND reliable V6 is in the cards. 110 HP per liter can be very reasonably assumed in their flagship design. You guy's do the math!!! 110HP per liter times (less say) 3.5 liters... = 385 HP ! Out of a reliable, economical, light weight and compact V6 ;) Keeping the overall weight the same as it is now (if not slightly lighter) with that kind of HP it would give a HUGE performance envelope, yet still allow it to be "fairly" affordable, decent on the fuel mileage, and most importantly reliable to live with as a refined daily driver (like the current NSX) :cool: (Which I cannot say for a Ferrari 355 or even a Viper)

--- Kevin D.

A 3.5L V6, with 100-120 hp/liter may be difficult to achieve for production application. It is a bigger V6, and will have big pistons or long stroke, thereby limit it redline. Higher redline is how Honda extracts more power.

Don't just build a V8, build one with a 180 degree crank V8.

Silver F16 said:
A 3.5L V6, with 100-120 hp/liter may be difficult to achieve for production application. It is a bigger V6, and will have big pistons or long stroke, thereby limit it redline. Higher redline is how Honda extracts more power.

Don't just build a V8, build one with a 180 degree crank V8.

...I agree it will be more difficult to extract 100+ HP per liter out of a larger V6 (as I made a brief mention to in one of my previous posts) However, "a higher redline" isn't the only way/reason for HP increase. A more efficient valve train, exhaust, intake plenum, recontoured combustion chamber designs with freer flowing heads, and a more sophisticated engine management computer that modern technology can provide all will greatly enhance HP without any redline increase. (Though obviously a lot more with increased redline) And you must remember, as sophisticated as the NSX's engine is...it's essentially 1990 technology* A 100 horse per liter for HONDA is childs play nowadays...even at 3.5 liters. Also, know that the next generation power plant will most assuredly be an entirely new engine. Meaning bore+stroke measurements, con-rods, V angle, etc...will be optimized for high revs and maximum usable power. It obviously won't just be a current 3.2 motor with a longer stroke or bored out pistons, LOL.

--- Kevin

Tony Montoya said:
For some reason my Province won't let me have Mr. Prosperity as a custom licence plate.

I'll try FUGU ME next and see if that flies.

maybe because you're not japanese.:D

they cannot deny you having a custom plate with your last name.

Back