• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For the carbon guru's out there. Trunk question.

Does any company make a carbon trunk that is carbon on the underside? Or even JUST on the underside? As I would probably paint the top. Thanks in advance!!

I think the Seibon deck lids have a carbon underside also.

I guess I come from a purest standpoint but is seams like the look of carbon fiber has vastly overshadowed the utility/function. But then again, the look of wood on a dash is also popular... very rarely do you see a car may from wood. :biggrin:

Hi,

for me, anything CF must be lighter than the OEM part.

As much as i love the look of CF, i won't use it if the part weights more than the one it's replacing.

Nuno

I guess I come from a purest standpoint but is seams like the look of carbon fiber has vastly overshadowed the utility/function. But then again, the look of wood on a dash is also popular... very rarely do you see a car may from wood. :biggrin:

The only difference is that as a meterial, fine wood has warmth and charm and carbon looks like shit. LOL

As a material that is, not what is used in a car.

USAF guy, check GT-rom.

Will do thanks!

I dig the CF look but I'm not going CF excessive, I just think it would look nice to see it when you open the trunk, so the average onlooker will notice that there is more than the eye can see ;). The outside will be the body color and maaaaaybe I can get some of the weave to appear through the paint like on my hood (F40 style 8) )

This will also give me an excuse to repaint and fix some imperfections on the tail end of the car.

Morgan's

I love the one GT-rom has but $5000 is hard to swallow... jeez

If your planning on painting the top then go with FRP top and carbon bottom. No sense in getting carbon top/bottom then paint the top. Also once carbon is painted, you can start to see the weave after several months. It doesnt look aweful but it is noticable nonetheless. I have the DF Smoked carbon trunk lid and love the smoked look on my black car.

I agree, that would be ideal. What did you pay for yours of you don't mind me asking?

I dont know about this, I have a CF hood on my DD, it was painted back in 2008 and I still can not see the weave. Maybe I am not understanding?

All paint shops are not created equal :biggrin:

Last edited:
I agree, that would be ideal. What did you pay for yours of you don't mind me asking?
Well, when I called they had one setting there they used for fitment purposes. It was flat black on the bottom side which was ok with me so they let me have it for $500.00. It nicely matches my DF smoked wing but my DF rear garnish is not smoked so thats a bummer. I do plan on attempting to get my paint shop to mix up some smoked clear to match. DF's trunk does have the nice molded in trunk spoiler under the wing which looks nice.

just a note: 99% of the carbon fiber products out in the market use a polyester gel coat as the surface coat. That will shrink over time and is the reason you get "print through". That is what it's called when the weave translates through the surface finish. I have seen companies put so much gel coat on the surface, you don't see any print through. However, then the surface finish can be yellow or hazy and have a better chance for cracking. A little print through is normal. The only way around that is for the composite company to do a complete post-cure (involves a specific heating and cooling procedure). Then when you prep the surface for clear or paint, the chance of getting print through is minimized. That being said... in a market where price is king, it's difficult for a company to invest the extra time/money in a superior part when very few are willing to pay for it.

just a note: 99% of the carbon fiber products out in the market use a polyester gel coat as the surface coat. That will shrink over time and is the reason you get "print through". That is what it's called when the weave translates through the surface finish. I have seen companies put so much gel coat on the surface, you don't see any print through. However, then the surface finish can be yellow or hazy and have a better chance for cracking. A little print through is normal. The only way around that is for the composite company to do a complete post-cure (involves a specific heating and cooling procedure). Then when you prep the surface for clear or paint, the chance of getting print through is minimized. That being said... in a market where price is king, it's difficult for a company to invest the extra time/money in a superior part when very few are willing to pay for it.

So what about yor mirrors? Do you post cure those or is that not necessary on a part of that size.

FWIW. I painted my DF full carbon and see no weave at all, it's been 3+ years.

So what about yor mirrors? Do you post cure those or is that not necessary on a part of that size.

I do not use polyester get coat at all. I use epoxy exclusively. That does not shrink. But yes, they also go through a post-cure cycle.

As for Downforce, I also believe they use an epoxy system. Same with Procar.

Last edited:
Back