• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ford GT recall !!!!

jgtcnsx said:
that makes ford look so bad
Quite the contrary IMO.

Ford built a car that is absolutely a killer sports car and competes with the worlds best. Priced it at $150,000, which by todays standards of supercars is quite inexpensive. It's rare and hard to get. What other car will give you the performance, rarity, clout and everything else that comes with the GT for that kind of money? IMO, the Ford GT makes that company look even better. Plus the fact I think they did it right with the new redesigned Mustang! Hell, I'm considering buying a Cobra next year because of the new design. And yep, that car has unreal performance for the price too. :)

And you actually think a small problem that they are correcting makes them look "so bad"? Acura must look unbelievably terrible with their transmission problems then, huh? :rolleyes:

Carguy! said:
In my opinion it isn't whether or not I ever have a problem, it is how they handle the problem that matters most to me.

I use this philosophy in all aspects of my life from buying a watch to a meal, if something goes wrong as it always will at times how do they handle the situation.
That is so well said.

Deuce B said:
Quite the contrary IMO.

Ford built a car that is absolutely a killer sports car and competes with the worlds best. Priced it at $150,000, which by todays standards of supercars is quite inexpensive. It's rare and hard to get. What other car will give you the performance, rarity, clout and everything else that comes with the GT for that kind of money? IMO, the Ford GT makes that company look even better. Plus the fact I think they did it right with the new redesigned Mustang! Hell, I'm considering buying a Cobra next year because of the new design. And yep, that car has unreal performance for the price too. :)

And you actually think a small problem that they are correcting makes them look "so bad"? Acura must look unbelievably terrible with their transmission problems then, huh? :rolleyes:

ya but they are not problems on a 150,000 dollar sports car. thier shouldnt be any problems on a car that cost more than most houses. oh and another thing they are trying to compete right now with the enzo and carrera for the best supercar thats out, how does that make them look?? not good yes they are handiling it the right way, but just think of all the magazines and shows that had it with those three cars, and ford has recall with all the cars for problems, if that doesnt look bad i dont know what does (besides my spelling) :biggrin:

Meeyatch1 said:
I am really surprised that given the raw performance nature of this car that Ford did not find this problem earlier in their testing. Seems like a pretty important thing given the fact that the GT is essentially a race car for the street. :(

From what I gather, this wasn't something that would've showed up during testing so much.
Gotta consider when they are testing cars they are normally using one off parts and as such. I know everything single part that I have looked up so far is unique to the car.
Sometimes the supplier may get a bad batch of metal, or machine was malfunctioning for a time frame, etc.
BTW, the complete engine for this car cost $36k !!

Carguy! said:
If you are referring to the original Ford GT 40's, the current car doesn't share anything except looking similiar.

No actually I was reffering to the Mitsubishi Eclipse :confused: Isnt this thread on the GT-40?

Armando

92NSX said:
BTW, the complete engine for this car cost $36k !!

I am sorry, but I don't believe that. The car uses the same engine as their trucks and they slap a supercharger on it. What else do they do to it to add another 15K to the price?

Dave, I read that the block is shared but most of the moving parts are proprietary.If in fact there is a problem with a subcontracter for bad metalurgy,hay that could happen to any Manufacturer.I agree its more important how it is handled.I do think that some corners had to be cut,or at least compromises were made for a car with such performance stats to be priced at 150k.That is the american way though,look at the zo6,viper ect.

docjohn said:
Dave, I read that the block is shared but most of the moving parts are proprietary.

Well, I guess anything is possible, but I know for a fact you can take a 03 cobra motors and swap our the SC and get 550+ rwhp. So, I cannot see why that engine would need to cost $36K.

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/03kbell.htm

NetViper said:
Well, I guess anything is possible, but I know for a fact you can take a 03 cobra motors and swap our the SC and get 550+ rwhp. So, I cannot see why that engine would need to cost $36K.

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/03kbell.htm

It is quite easy to produce large amounts of horsepower, it is not nearly as easy to produce large numbers reliably while keeping weight down and meeting emmision regulations.

Some notable things about this engine:
• Dry sump oil system
• 32 Valves
• Forged pistons, Forged Crank
• Hand built
• Intake polished
• Blue printed
• Twin injectors per cylinder
• Entire motor has been built for forced induction

If you are able to purchase this engine for 36K I would be surprised, but if so you will see it ending up in a lot of Hot Rods.

Last edited:
MiamieNeSeX said:
No actually I was reffering to the Mitsubishi Eclipse :confused: Isnt this thread on the GT-40?

Armando

No, this thread isn't on the Ford GT-40. It is on the Ford GT, I was trying to be polite and let you know that the current car and the GT-40 have nothing in common except they look similiar.

NetViper said:
I am sorry, but I don't believe that.

Dave,
What do I gain for lying about the price of the engine??? I have nothing to gain from this. Thank's for the trust :rolleyes:

NetViper said:
So, I cannot see why that engine would need to cost $36K.

I didn't say I could see why it would cost that price either did I?

Carguy,
They actually show to have one in one of the warehouses for FMC. Now I have not inquired about getting one but I would think that if you want one, FMC might ask for a VIN to verify you have a GT. Might only sell to owner or dealer??? :confused:

NetViper said:
The car uses the same engine as their trucks and they slap a supercharger on it. What else do they do to it to add another 15K to the price?

Where do you get this from???? I guess you are an FMC insider? So take the $15k off the $36k and you're saying that a car or truck 5.4L cost $21k??? If you want to pay that I am more than happy to sell you a few. I could use the extra money.

NetViper said:
I am sorry, but I don't believe that.

Alright then, here is the FMC part number for the fully dressed motor. Call your local dealer and give this to him and see what he tells you.

4G7Z-6007-AA MSRP $35593.32

So you are right, it doesn't cost $36k :rolleyes:

92NSX said:
Alright then, here is the FMC part number for the fully dressed motor. Call your local dealer and give this to him and see what he tells you.

HEY leave the smart ass remarks to the professionals :)

PS Tax puts it over 36,000.00
Armando

92NSX said:

Ok, You got me! I didn't mean that in an offensive way! I just thought it was WAY too high. :wink:

92NSX said:
Where do you get this from???? I guess you are an FMC insider? So take the $15k off the $36k and you're saying that a car or truck 5.4L cost $21k??? If you want to pay that I am more than happy to sell you a few. I could use the extra money.

Actually, I was thinking 21K for the engine and the supercharger...using NSX mentality of $10,000 for the SC. I guess I was way off though. :biggrin:

MiamieNeSeX said:
It's a sad day when the realization is made that all things do not revolve around "The NSX". :eek:

Armando

I am not exactly sure what that means? :confused:

MiamieNeSeX said:
I am sure someone will decipher it sooner than not.

Armando

Well, if you are trying to tell me that there are other cars besides the NSX, my response would have to be "duh". :tongue:

Deuce B said:
Priced it at $150,000, which by todays standards of supercars is quite inexpensive. It's rare and hard to get. What other car will give you the performance, rarity, clout and everything else that comes with the GT for that kind of money?

First of all- only Jay Leno payed $150k for it. The majority of dealers have $100-150K in markup

2nd- regarding your what other car comment- I would say the F430 fits the bill.

NSXLuvr said:
First of all- only Jay Leno payed $150k for it. The majority of dealers have $100-150K in markup

2nd- regarding your what other car comment- I would say the F430 fits the bill.

Just because dealers are marking it up doesn't mean you should compare it to other cars without a markup. The Ford GT sells for under 150k, people paid over double sticker for the NSX when it was first introduced, should it of been compared to 120K cars?

Also if you think you can buy a F430 anywhere near sticker price you are going to be in shock when you try and get one. Unless you have been on a list for 3-5 years at a dealership that you have already purchased other Ferrari's from you aren't going to get on at anywhere near list price.

Back