• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Freak NSX Incident...

Tonight I was driving home, and a gravel truck in front of me let loose a 5-8 inch cement boulder right in front of me... I had no where to move and I took the boulder head on into the NSX.

Luckily the boulder didn't go up and over the paint, but went under the vehicle... it tore the front spoiler off and in the process, and im still trying to figure out exactly how this happened but it managed to unlatch my hood which sprung up until the safety catch caught it, needless to say it scared the hell out of me...

The boulder sent a shudder down the car as it launched out the back end.

Underneath the car there are about 3 major scuffs/dents where the boulder hit, luckily from what I could see in the "quick" inspection it didn't puncture or penetrate anything major. I'll jack the car up in the morning and examine it further.

Has anyone else ever experienced the hood latch popping before? This is the first ive heard of it just popping up.

-B

This is scaring, I imagine it could have been worse since the NSX is such a low car. Anyway never heard about the hood latch popping up, both on the NSX or on every other car I know of...

A similar incident happened to me where a cinder block fell off a truck. In desperation to avoid it, I hit it with my front passenger wheel. The damage done was a torn tire, bent BBS wheel, and bent toe rod in the front suspension. To this day I sitll get a little vibratin from the wheel not being completely "true" even though I had it repaired.

I have no idea why the hood latch let go but you were lucky - it could have been a lot worse. Last year I hit a piece of lumber that fell off a truck and it cracked the piece that goes under the bumper, the piece the spoiler is attached to - I was depressed for several weeks after the accident. Just the other day I saw a truck losing an entire load of galvanized fence and several cars hit it = several thousand dollars worth of damage. Almost on a daily basis the traffic reporters on the radio are warning us about a chair, a mattress, a ladder, large buckets, etc. on the road. I'm so tired of people dumping all kinds of garbage on the freeway!

I'm ready to join some organization that will lobby to get severe penalties for people who don't secure their cargo. Does anyone know about such organization? Anyone interested in starting one?

There should be laws against trucks like the one that you speak of and dump trucks. They carry all sorts of junk that can easily fall out and crack up some one's car. It almost makes me want to carry around a couple of golf balls to hurl at these trucks once I get in front of them.

I too am a victim. Just a bullseye though, but it really just sucks.

You should be able to collect from the truck's insurance company, if you got the tag. Anything that falls off the vehicle, even mud from a tractor tire, is game if it causes damage or accident.

I had the misfortune of hitting a orange traffic cone a few months ago that was in the middle of the road. Did some damage to the underside near the passenger side door. Can't really see it unless you lay on the ground. I haven't gone anywhere to price out the fix yet. Add that to the person who scraped me with their white car on the rear left bumper (no note).

Back