• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

From NSX into Gallardo: Impressions

lamboman

Congrats on your new ride.

TTony said:
Thoughts on modding the Gallardo?

attachment.php

attachment.php
OHHH yeahh
now that's a HOT GALLARDO :eek:

Ron, great review...thanks for taking the time to write this.

Prime guys, I actually bought Ron's NSX last month and I have to give him props for taking great care of the car. No one believes me when I tell them it is 15 years old! Ron, you were a true professional to deal with and I appreciate all of your insight and advice. When you are ready to get rid of the Lambo to upgrade to the Enzo, can I get first shot at it? :biggrin:

^ I believe that is the IMSA kit for the G.

By the way, great write up! I'm hoping to jump into either a Gallardo or 997 turbo/gt2/gt3 by sometime next year:tongue:

lamboman said:
Like dumping the mother of my children to marry a super model, I’ll be forever grateful for the wholesome memories while I spend the rest of my blissful life in the gutter with the bad girl.

ROFL:biggrin:

Thanks Majd, I know the car will bring you many years of joy.

That's just it; the car is 15 years old and with the right TLC it still looks stunning and runs strong. I was perfectly happy. I had no real desire to sell it and no desire to upgrade. My mind was just saying, "You've had it for five years; you've never had one so long. Don't you want more power? Don't you want to try something new?" NO! I'm in love! but I jumped anyway.

I'm just relieved that these other cars really are good, and are very dependable now. I trusted the NSX implicitly and I'm already beginning to feel that way about the Gallardo, with one-up: that exhilarating sense of massive power.

This is a wonderful time for exotic car enthusists. There are so many offerings out there it just continues to push prices down, bringing more opportunities to everyone and expanding the market for our cars in the process. But as with the NSX, if you buy a car that is truly fundamentally good (and take care of it), it will always be valuable.

The Gallardo has that same feel: built to last, so it will get it's every whim satisfied.

Thanks all,

Ron S.

EndlessNSX said:
I agree. I thought that all Lambos have an engine rebuild time at a certain mileage which is about $70,000 to do.:frown:

This car is quite common here in San Fran. I see them weekly. Used ones are in the low $100,000s. Infact I saw one in dupont for $99,000 (usually with under 10,000 miles they range from $115,000-$150,000)and it had like 46,000-49,000 miles on it. So a $90,000 05 NSX or a used $99,000 Gallardo? I would go with the Lambo for a garage queen and NSX for a daily driver.:smile:
I like both cars.

Your price comparison between the Gallardo and NSX is seriously flawed.

If a 2005 NSX had the same 49k miles, it would be priced closer to $50,000, which is half the price of your extremely high mileage Gallardo example. A used Gallardo will be twice the price of the same year NSX. You are comparing apples to oranges.

Lamboman,

Congrats on the Gallardo! The G is definitely one of the hottest looking cars on the planet and a serious step up from the NSX. Enjoy it!!

Read the whole lambo thread above.

Wow.

The Gallardo is def one of my dreamcars. I hope they turn out to be reliable so I can buy a used one in 7-8 years :D

Enjoy

poop. Here's a couple...

Attachments

• Lamborghini_Countach_1.jpg
    Lamborghini_Countach_1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 420
  • abillboardNSX.jpg
    abillboardNSX.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 388
  • aTinanLambo.jpg
    aTinanLambo.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 594
  • aMyRaceCar.jpg
    aMyRaceCar.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 360
  • aLotus.jpg
    aLotus.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
AMGsRock said:
Your price comparison between the Gallardo and NSX is seriously flawed.

If a 2005 NSX had the same 49k miles, it would be priced closer to $50,000, which is half the price of your extremely high mileage Gallardo example. A used Gallardo will be twice the price of the same year NSX. You are comparing apples to oranges.

Actually your pricing is flawed. A 97-99 will still fetch close to 49K miles if in great condition. A 2005 will be closer to $63K.

NetViper said:
Actually your pricing is flawed. A 97-99 will still fetch close to 49K miles if in great condition. A 2005 will be closer to $63K.

I have seen several 2004 NSX's go for mid $60s with 10k miles. If there were an example of one with 49k miles, it would be worth only $50k in my opinion. I have not seen very many 2005s, but they are probably only worth another $5k over a similar 2004.

2004 Gallardos are selling for 130k+ with about 10k or less miles. The example of one with 49k miles for under $100k is an anomaly. I doubt it was a clean example and the history unknown. 2005 Gs trade in the $150's

The majority of buyers shopping for a 2005 Gallardo are not even considering an NSX. The Gallardo is simply in another class versus the NSX. The NSX's true competition when it was still in production was the C6 Corvette. But since it offered less performance for double the price, it was finally axed.

The NSX could have been what the Gallardo is today if Honda would have kept improving the car, but lost interest in the NSX (or the public lost interest) and stopped improving it in 1997. The 2005 NSX is basically a gussied up 1997.

Apples to Oranges again.

Deltron Zero said:
Can we get a reliability update? Seriously conteplating making this jump in the next year or so...
Thanks in advance!

I heard through that the grapevine that, in typical Italian car tradition, it just fell apart one day while he was driving it.

If I were you, I'd seriously contemplate putting your money in Vanguard's S&P 500 index fund and get a die-cast scale model Gallardo.

gallardo1.jpg

That's the weirdest coincidence: I'm looking on here for word of the next-gen NSX and a few of you brought the thread up today so I didn't have to hunt!

The Gallardo is fantastic. I'm hooked on the power and have had no problems in my first 4k miles with it. It sucks about a quart of oil every 1k miles though (normal) so I had a scare when I was down two, but no problems. I'll switch over to Redline oil, trans, gearbox and axle lube in the spring to pick up another 11-33 HP.

I shimmed the seat an inch and that made all the difference in the world for vision and that "at one" feeling. I bought Oakley racing shoes, so I can shift without stepping on my own feet. I put a MOMO shift knob on, almost identical to the NSX, and have much better, faster shifts. All in all, I'm right at home.

I switched over to a Valentine One radar detector, and wish I would have long ago. Now I know where the cops are!

I've put on a QuickSilver exhaust which dropped 31 pounds and added a good 10-20 HP, along with Gallardo Sport Air Filters. In the spring I'll probably get a new Airbox for a 10 hp overall increase.

Another planned mod is the replacement of the lift system with an electric lift, to drop another 40 pounds. Weight loss is such an effective mod! I may also switch out the rotors and wheels as rotational mass is way more important to drop for performance advantages. This could lead to a suspension retune for additional weight savings.

So basically, I've gone insane. I dream about it almost every night. It's the automotive equivalent of "the best sex I've had in years."

After the airbox I'll dyno this pig to see what I'm putting to the ground, but one of my buddies shattered the magazine 1/4 mile times with an 11.89! I'll be tracking it and running the strip myself next year.

The only thing that nags me about the car is how much the speedo is off. at 60 mph, it reads 70 mph. Factory claims a 10-12% error; that's ridiculous. Many of the secondary gauges are innaccurate as well.

But the grin is from ear to ear. I truly miss the elegance of the NSX, but HP and Torque are everything. This thing is a beast!

Attachments

• rear shot.jpg
    rear shot.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 303
lamboman said:
That's the weirdest coincidence: I'm looking on here for word of the next-gen NSX and a few of you brought the thread up today so I didn't have to hunt!

The Gallardo is fantastic. I'm hooked on the power and have had no problems in my first 4k miles with it. It sucks about a quart of oil every 1k miles though (normal) so I had a scare when I was down two, but no problems. I'll switch over to Redline oil, trans, gearbox and axle lube in the spring to pick up another 11-33 HP.

I shimmed the seat an inch and that made all the difference in the world for vision and that "at one" feeling. I bought Oakley racing shoes, so I can shift without stepping on my own feet. I put a MOMO shift knob on, almost identical to the NSX, and have much better, faster shifts. All in all, I'm right at home.

I switched over to a Valentine One radar detector, and wish I would have long ago. Now I know where the cops are!

I've put on a QuickSilver exhaust which dropped 31 pounds and added a good 10-20 HP, along with Gallardo Sport Air Filters. In the spring I'll probably get a new Airbox for a 10 hp overall increase.

Another planned mod is the replacement of the lift system with an electric lift, to drop another 40 pounds. Weight loss is such an effective mod! I may also switch out the rotors and wheels as rotational mass is way more important to drop for performance advantages. This could lead to a suspension retune for additional weight savings.

So basically, I've gone insane. I dream about it almost every night. It's the automotive equivalent of "the best sex I've had in years."

After the airbox I'll dyno this pig to see what I'm putting to the ground, but one of my buddies shattered the magazine 1/4 mile times with an 11.89! I'll be tracking it and running the strip myself next year.

The only thing that nags me about the car is how much the speedo is off. at 60 mph, it reads 70 mph. Factory claims a 10-12% error; that's ridiculous. Many of the secondary gauges are innaccurate as well.

But the grin is from ear to ear. I truly miss the elegance of the NSX, but HP and Torque are everything. This thing is a beast!
I bet she halls ass!!!:smile:

AMGsRock said:
The 2005 NSX is basically a gussied up 1997.

Apples to Oranges again.

Ouch!

Back