• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Front lic. plate mount

Front lic. plate mount

Hey all,
I just purchased a '91 that came from a state requiring only a back plate. Driving it home I made it exactly 4/10th of a mile before I was pulled over by the WA State Patrol for not having a front plate. As it happens the trooper was very cool about the whole deal when I told him I was on my way home from buying the car and indeed would put the front plate on. He sure was interested in the specifics of the car as well as my 23 year old daughter who was on the right side!
I have to put on the front plate. Previous experiance tells me I do not want to forget about the stop and keep going. The NSX is going into the local Acura dealership for some minor things tomorrow and for $80 I can purchase their front plate mount. This may be exactly the thing to do but I am seeking some input. What have you done to install a front plate that has the least visual impact? I am not above bending or wrapping the plate.
In closing, thanks to member SR for selling me the car and if there are members or events on the East side of Seattle (Redmond) drop me a line.
Loren

The stock front license plate bracket is basically a plaque up front that bolts up underneath to the top of the bumper grill area, and two more long legs that bolt behind the grill area. It does not bend or warp the plate at all and actually has some clearance (not much) from the bumper itself so it barely touches it. It's just a cheap piece of plastic bracket..... I took mine off the same day I picked up my car (somebody can have it for $10 if they really want it) but that's all it is. I'll try and take pics of later for a more accurate description for those interested.

Some of the aftermarket guys used to sell brackets that weren't as obtrusive as the OEM one

front plate

Immediately after taking delivery of my '92 Sebring Silver/Black in April I figured out how to remove the front plate bracket and did so. I also live in Bellevue but have yet to be stopped for no front plate. Did the patrolman happen to mention the amount of the fine?

I drive Metro Buses all over the Seattle/Eastside area and note countless cars without front plates. If they get serious about enforcing this law they won't have time to do anything else!

Are you going with us to Mt. Baker tomorrow? If not use the email icon to shoot me a phone number and we'll arrange a Starbuck's rendezvous.

mine has a front plate and I want to remove the bracket. Is it a pain to remove? Will there be holes or something?

On an Acura TL I had they installed some sort of "plugs" that matched the paint. Do they have this for the NSX?

Suggestions?

Re: Front lic. plate mount

Loren said:

I have to put on the front plate. Previous experiance tells me I do not want to forget about the stop and keep going.
If you have to mount the front plate, don't put holes in the bumper. :( Try to find something like this. ;)

KGP said:
If you have to mount the front plate, don't put holes in the bumper.
Huh??? :confused: The stock front license plate bracket does not use any visible holes in the bumper and you don't have to drill any, either. As noted by Newman, the holes are on the bottom surface of the bumper, where you can't see them, and the bolts screw in upwards.

Loren-

I think you were just unlucky. I have lived in the Seattle area for 17 years, and 3 of my 4 cars (including my NSX) do not have front plates. I have been stopped once, and just given a warning. FWIW.

Keith

Back