• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

fuel stabilizer

Should you add fuel stabilizer if storing the car for 3 or 4 months?

edit: I was wondering what is the likely hood of the fuel gumming up the lines in 3-4months. I was planning on leaving about 1/4 tank in the car and after winter when I take the car out, drive easy to a gas station 2 miles away and fill it with fresh gas.

Last edited:

I would just to error on the safe side, since the car wants 91 octane and it slowly goes down over time. If its a long winter, you are safe and don't have to worry about detonation due to low octane.

Are you going to store it with a full tank? There are 2 schools of thought here. IMO you should store with a full tank to decrease the air in the tank and reduce condensation.

I use fuel stabilzer in my mustang when I store it over the winter. I've been doing it for years without issue. I do fill the tank all the way up, but then again, the gas tank in my 42 year old mustang is probably made different than a NSX gas tank. I'm pretty sure it will rust if given the chance.

Question - Is there a function to determine how much octane is lost over a period of time. How does weather affect it?

In my case I have a 50 gallon 104 Octane barrel that has been sitting outside for over a year now. It's probably at less than 20 gallons right now. I usually mix some when I'm driving around hard at -10C, when my car was tuned at 80F :rolleyes: I can tell you that when it cranks up, it's tailpipe tells me that it's running rich...

Yes yes, I know some of the risks of running too rich, but I'm not too concerned on it since when I do drive it, I'm usually on it, or it's pretty cold out..

Anyway, I'm trying to figure what the octane should be now. I can't imagine it went down more than a few percentage points though... Autowave suggested to me that when it's stored, to put in a little fuel and then limp it to the gas station and fill it up, run through that tank and don't beat on it too hard...

been storing an nsx every winter since '94 \ stabilizer + full tank has never failed think this is consensus :wink:

edit: I was wondering what is the likely hood of the fuel gumming up the lines in 3-4months. I was planning on leaving about 1/4 tank in the car and after winter when I take the car out, drive easy to a gas station 2 miles away and fill it with fresh gas.

For the price stabilizer is the best thing you can do when storing a car.And keeping the tank full.I've seen first hand what old fuel can do to a fuel system.I've taken small engine carburetors apart after they've been sitting for a couple of months and the inside looked like it was full of varnish.So the best thing is to go to the gas station put stabilizer fill the tank and drive it home to make sure it goes true the hole fuel system.

I have always filled the tank to prevent moisture in the tank from the temp changes. Never used any type of fuel stabilizer on anything I have and have never had any issues. :smile:All I do is put a battery-tender on everything

Back