• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Future Pricing....

I am in the process of selling my '00 S2000 so I can save up for my wedding and then NSX. I was wondering if anyone has a good idea based on historic trends....how much a '02 and '98 would be in about a year or so.

I'm trying to budget for the purchase and wanted to know if the price difference that i will see in a year would be worth going to the '02. Or if a '97-'98 would be just as good at a better price (I really do like the new design).

One last thing that I have been unable to find in the FAQs or on a search, when did the HID's become standard equipment?

Thanks in advance for any info/advice!

I think you won't get more than a 5%-10% decrease on prices waiting 1-2 years from now on newer models (very few cars were sold... and too many owners of 1991-1996 looking for the upgrade! :D )

Macros said:
I am in the process of selling my '00 S2000 so I can save up for my wedding and then NSX. I was wondering if anyone has a good idea based on historic trends....how much a '02 and '98 would be in about a year or so.

I'm trying to budget for the purchase and wanted to know if the price difference that i will see in a year would be worth going to the '02. Or if a '97-'98 would be just as good at a better price (I really do like the new design).

One last thing that I have been unable to find in the FAQs or on a search, when did the HID's become standard equipment?

Thanks in advance for any info/advice!

Was there any color production numbers for 2k2? Looks like the FAQ stops around '00.

Macros said:
Hi Macros, you're no doubt aware of the impending release of the next generation NSX. Depending on its pricing and popularity, it may have an effect (in either direction) on used-NSX prices. Gheba's comment appears to be a "business-as-usual" projection. If the new NSX were to be released with a lower-than-expected price tag and great performance, it's a virtual certainty that a slew of 2000-2004 NSXes would quickly enter the market just because those are the current-owners who are likely to be in a position to buy the new car. OTOH, if the new model is poorly-received, or if it's great but way too high-priced, people may again focus on the most recent current-gen models. "You places your bets and you takes your chances..." :)

I think the idea that Honda would release the new NSX at a higher performance level, lower price and same moniker as the traditional NSX is a pipe dream.

It would invalidate the the past 6 years of NSX production and destroy the idea of the NSX being a "Halo" car.

Imagine if the Viper SRT-10 had been released at $60 grand, or the Corvette C6 coming in at $35 grand. That's what we're basically talking about here.

Honda isnt going to say "here's the new NSX - looks better, performs better and is significantly quicker than the NSX you know and love, plus, it's only $60k." That would basically be admitting that the 97-04 NSX was an overpriced waste of time and money. If they were going to do that, they would simply have retired the NSX name and come up with something else to call the HSC.

I recall the year Toyota slashed the Supra's MSRP by close to 20%. Not a popular move with all the nice folks who had just bought the previous year.

It appears my point may have been muddled by my too-specific example. A better way to phrase it would have been, "what if Honda produces a car that is much more popular than the current model?". In that case, new buyers may pass over the first gen car unless the prices are deeply discounted, and secondly many owners of late model cars may upgrade. The net effect would be an abnormally high number of late model first-gen cars for sale. Whether or not these sellers will be offset by new buyers who are enthralled by the new NSX enough to fall in love with the current car yet can't afford the next gen, well, get out your Magic 8-ball and find out. :) This is one scenario, it could go the other way too.

It is not uncommon for a manufacturer to extend an offer to give a promotional discount or loyalty discount to customers that they want to lure to the newer model, especially if the newer model is lower priced. This can be to other sports car owners to switch (as they did in 1998 to Ferrari and Porsche owners if they bought an NSX), or with the introduction of the RL 3.5 in 1996.

Acura is not an exception to this marketing strategy. I have two purchase invoices to prove it ........ :D

Well, I've found a very nice '97 in my area for around 45k. It seems to be a very good deal, but I wonder if the '02's prices will hold as well as the older models. (Especially with the impending release of the HSX/2nd Gen NSX.) For that matter, I don't want the value to drop to fast if I make the purchase. (Being upside-down is not a good feeling.)

As I mentioned in another topic, I think the main question to consider is this. Suppose you bought a used 2002 for $65K. And suppose the all-new NSX comes out within the next two years for a lower price than the current one - let's say it's around $60-65K - and the market value of your 2002 NSX drops to, oh, $50K. Will you be upset and regret the purchase, or will you be happy you were able to enjoy it for the intervening two years? That should be part of your decision. Good luck.

Marcos,

What is the mileage on the 1997? If it is reasonable I think this would be a good choice since the outlook going forward is really unclear. The changes in 1997 were all good and to the betterment of the car.

JMHO,

LarryB

Larry Bastanza said:
Marcos,

What is the mileage on the 1997? If it is reasonable I think this would be a good choice since the outlook going forward is really unclear. The changes in 1997 were all good and to the betterment of the car.

JMHO,

LarryB

It was around 60k miles...I gotta make sure the 60k service was done. But I didn't know if there were any real major changes between '97 and '02 other than the exterior freshening...

I'm just trying to sell all the mods from my S2000 to use as the down payment on the NSX. Going crazy getting it ready...

If the car is mechanically and aesthetically sound, $45K seems better than fair. Larry's right, buying the '97 would give you best available mechanicals with a relatively lower risk for the car dropping in price.

If the car has a solid maintenance history and is in "A" condition (as speced in the FAQ), it sounds like a nice deal. The timing belt is not due for 1 more year or 45K miles, whichever comes first. I agree the 60K service should be performed.

HTH,
LarryB

Larry Bastanza said:
If the car has a solid maintenance history and is in "A" condition (as speced in the FAQ), it sounds like a nice deal.
There's no way a car with twice as many miles as average (average for the NSX is 5K/year) can fall into the "A" pricing category.

You guys are missing the point.
Never sell your sportscar before getting married!
This whole discussion is mute because it will be 20-30 years before his wife lets him buy an NSX.

hondaholic said:
You guys are missing the point.
Never sell your sportscar before getting married!
This whole discussion is mute because it will be 20-30 years before his wife lets him buy an NSX.

Not really. My wife let me buy my NSX only 3 years after we were married:D Fortunately it was before our baby boy that we just had. If my boy came first I don't think I would have the NSX.

nsxtasy said:
As I mentioned in another topic, I think the main question to consider is this. Suppose you bought a used 2002 for $65K. And suppose the all-new NSX comes out within the next two years for a lower price than the current one - let's say it's around $60-65K - and the market value of your 2002 NSX drops to, oh, $50K. Will you be upset and regret the purchase, or will you be happy you were able to enjoy it for the intervening two years? That should be part of your decision. Good luck.

That's true and you can even add that the drop from 60-65k$ to 50k$ is probably the BIG jump caused by the new model car to be put on sale. It is very likely that in another 2-3 years after this drop the price won't go down that much.

So if you plan keep it four years from now instead of two it is possible that you will be able to sell it for 45k$, that implicates a loss of 4-5k$ per year instead of the 7k$ per year that nsxstasy "proposed" to you...

nsxtasy said:
There's no way a car with twice as many miles as average (average for the NSX is 5K/year) can fall into the "A" pricing category.

:D Thanks for the vote of confidence! Actually the fiancee' is telling me that I should go out and get it before the wedding. But I am still hesitant because I still have to PAY for the wedding. The S2000 is going and that payment will either go towards a wedding or a NSX. But, as soon as the wedding is paid for...I will get the X. So either way...I'm going to get one.

No matter what the wife says....;)

Take a lot of pictures because that's a lot of cash for what is essentially a "party". Hope you get a good ROI.

i would rather have an average to small wedding, and spend more on my girl. Im sure she would appreciate it more. :D i think it would be nicer for example, to have flowers sent to her for a year telling her how special she is. A stretched out declaration of love ;)

ChrisK said:
Not really. My wife let me buy my NSX only 3 years after we were married:D Fortunately it was before our baby boy that we just had. If my boy came first I don't think I would have the NSX.

I bought my nsx 3 weeks after my first child was born, my wife rocks!!!!!!

Back