• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

fyi- guess who's back blue 97 - JH4NA2160VT000019

Just an fyi in case anyone see it up for sale.

1997 ACURA NSX TARGA BLUE 6 CYLINDER 42,494mi. 6 SPD. Stock No. L-14367 LUXURY MOTORS, CHICAGO [More Detail]

JH4NA2160VT000019 Blue/Black '97 6-speed NSX-T. Rear-ended hard on the street and rebuilt by Acura. The repair involved cutting the back end off and welding a new one on. It was then sold at auction in the southwest US around the end of May 1998 and has changed hands through several wholesalers and independent dealers since. At least two dealers have been representing this car as "mint condition" and "flawless." It is possible they do not know it's real history because no salvage title was ever issued. Hence, a CarFax or similar title history search comes back clean! One wheel was also curbed at some point and possibly refinished. For sale at various third party dealers in the Phoenix, AZ area in early '99 with around 14,000 miles for $62,000. Asking price then went UP to the upper 60s. Car was eventually sold to someone in Chicago in mid '99 . [LE, A/H].

OMG!! What's the source?? Where did you get that information??

I have bought many cars from the dealer that is getting the car. I purchased my NSX and an E46 m3 from them. He buys mostly all wholesale from auctions and takes local trades. They always call me when something I may want comes in, and I really want a blue nsx :D I think it is on autotrader.com by now.

the source if the info on the car is from the nsxprime.com totalled vin's page

Aaron

fyi here's the deal:

last visit to the dealer was at 41,143 for 4 tires and alignment. It was less than 60 days ago.
The tech stated needs clutch and pressure plate bad. (last clutch was put in only 15,000 miles ago too and it was not an original clutch!!!)
Plus the car has had 2 transmissions in it in the last 15,000 miles and still is having problems getting into 1st gear and has a crunch going ito 2nd per noted in Acura computer.
On the good side it aligns strait and the previous accident doesn't seem to be having detrimental effects on it's later life.
I'm passing for sure!
Aaron

ps- added to this post as well on the carfax post I made on this car in case a poetential buyer sees one post but not the other

Last edited:
AaronR said:
...Car was eventually sold to someone in Chicago in mid '99...

I saw this car when I was at Pauly Acura getting my tuneup. Know it's the same one because the mechanics told me about having a new rear end welded on. Apparently owned by somebody working at a Honda dealer at a nearby dealership (he had just popped over to Pauly).

It would surprise me that the dealers would not know at least some prior history of this car. It is sad to see the car being advertised as "flawless."

Regards.

I CANNOT BEGIN to express how thankful I am of NSX PRIME!

I placed a REFUNDABLE $500 deposit on this car today!

If it wasnt for the greatest member on here: PHOEN$X, I wouldnt have checked the board since I was so excited to buy the car. Obviously I wasnt that stupid though, I had the carfax ran AND had McGriff Acura in Illinois do a COMPLETE inspection for $120. They told me that the car was in MINT condition in EVERY way, tranny, engine, paint, interior...... everything...

I would love to have that car and I was soooooo excited to get it especially because it was the 6-speed 3.2L.

MANY thanks to PHOEN$X. I feel like getting you a big gift! You saved me $44k.

Hopefully I'll have my looooooong awaited NSX soon and I can join all of you happy NSX owners.

Bijan Kohan

Hi Bijan, I'm glad you found the information helpful. Based on your message, I assume you're backing out of this transaction and asking for your deposit back? If so, good luck in continuing your search for an NSX. I'm sure you're aware of this already, but I'll post this for other newbies who may not be aware of the tools available to them for finding/avoiding known problem NSXs:

Search function
"Totalled" NSXs
Crash and Burn gallery

And of course, you can always post a message here asking for help and information.

Don't give up, your NSX is somewhere out there! :)

I just drove that car last week, what a piece.

When you try to hit it, the clutch just slips. The seats were really dirty (like someone left the top off in the rain and never really cleaned it up). Rotors were warped bad, car needs an alignment like nobody's business, and a few other nasty things. On a seperate note, the body does look awesome from 20 feet away :)and the oe airpump is still in the trunk. I was afraid to drive it too far becuase it was running funny and I didn't want to get stranded, plus there was a strange smell/smoke thing happening there too. not good
Aaron

Last edited:
I just checked out the ad in Autotrader...

The bastards purchased it, marked it up over $5k and are advertising it as MINT, NEW condition...

Goes to show that even buying a car from the BIG car dealerships like Mazda cannot be a trustworthy experience. Horrible example of business ethics. Isnt there anything we could do like reporting the dealersihp to BBB? I really dont think its fair for the unknowledgeable buyer of that totalled NSX.

thedon67 said:
It's now in NJ at Open Road Mazda...

Can we say back to the auction........:) :) :)

If anyone has any more q's pm me, I checked over every square inch of that car.

Also, I was offered the car for $39,000 and they were going to have the local Acura dealer give it a tune up, and clutch for that price, so I'm sure it sold at auction for less than that. $47,000, now that's a joke.

Aaron:rolleyes:

Don ,you should make a copy of this post available to the nice sales people at that mazda dealership,then maybee they'll ask a more reasonable price.;)

I am definitely up for that!!!!! :)

BTW Don.....we still have to talk about a meeting place....I haven't forgotten. I was figuring Menlo Park Mall, what do you think?

WOW...Thanks guys for all the info. I too saw this on autotrader, are we all talking about the Monte Carlo Blue????

If so then thanks for the HEADS UP!!

NSXPrime is such a VALUABLE SOURCE;)

Yes that's the one...I just love that color...and YES PRIME is a BIG help to the NSX community.

AaronR said:
Just an fyi in case anyone see it up for sale.

JH4NA2160VT000019 Blue/Black '97 6-speed NSX-T. Rear-ended hard on the street and rebuilt by Acura. independent dealers since. At least two dealers have been representing this car as "mint condition" and "flawless."

Thanks for the warning!
Open Road Mazda offered up the car for $44,000 yesterday. I WAS going over to test drive it today but that is a long forgotten memory.

Thanks to all who posted comments on this car. I am still looking at the Red 95 T top in PA at Rayco. If anyone has any information let me know JH4NA1189S1000625. Test driving mid week this week and then will be able to join the Jersey crew for future picnics.

Thanks
Alan

please pm me with info on when you are testing that Rayco car,It has cosmetic flaws which may signal prior body work.

Back