• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gallardo vs. R8?

haha yeah the Ford GT is definitely the edgier, hardcore car of the 3

but even so, when it comes to considering actual ownership, the Ford does have many downsides

if costs were no problem, I would say that the F430 is best of them all

the Audi R8, while having very beautiful details, when observed as a whole, can be very bland. especially if the owner chose the silver paint, the car is sometimes mistaken for a TT coupe.

there is nothing bland about the Gallardo - it does not have the intricate design details of the R8, but it does have a very pronounced appearance. I would prefer the Gallardo over the R8.

anyone know what first-gen Murcielago's are going for?

I would never consider to buy an exotic American muscle cars. I somehow don't have the desire of owning it.

1st-gen of Murcie is around $150K nowadays. The down side of Gallardo and Murcie is the rearview is very poor (better watchout while you back up). The early generations did not have backup cam, newer gen have backup cam.

The down side of Gallardo and Murcie is the rearview is very poor (better watchout while you back up). The early generations did not have backup cam, newer gen have backup cam.

Newer ones (06+ I think) have hydraulic front lift to get over low curbs. Nice feature.

Wow, now this is surprising. I thought the NSX has one of the worst dead pedals. I feel like there's no room there to even put my foot. It's all got to do with the small car and wheel well...
It's not the size it was the location. It was so high from the pedals, I had to drop my foot down to the clutch or keep it under the clutch pedal. That was with the seat back enough to push the clutch down. I'm 5'11 180 lbs. Another guy got into it and he was well over 6' and he could rest his arm on his knee if he set his foot on the dead pedal.

Why not get a new clutch while your at it. God knows you will need one in a few hundred miles more. Why should a car with 5k on the clock need a new clutch? I see this all the time with the Gallardo. I like to looks of the R8 over the Gallardo, and the fit and finish in the R8 is surprisingly better then the Gallardo. The cost of upkeep on the Gallardo is ridicules, just to keep it on the road.

From what I have learned- Egear vs. 6 manual. The manual stick shift would last longer than E-gear. However, there is the advantage of E-gear: smooth, faster, use for racing ( if you care .01 or so second difference)and the computer will adjust it if you are on the wrong gear. In order to make it last longer, one needs to put it in the neural if one is at the red light. Egear is like an automatic. You can smell the flowers or talk on the phone without shifting it while you are cruising it.

Why not get a new clutch while your at it. God knows you will need one in a few hundred miles more. Why should a car with 5k on the clock need a new clutch? I see this all the time with the Gallardo. I like to looks of the R8 over the Gallardo, and the fit and finish in the R8 is surprisingly better then the Gallardo. The cost of upkeep on the Gallardo is ridicules, just to keep it on the road.

There were issues with the clutches on the '04 and '05 MYs. Most of these cars have the new sintered clutch that is supposedly bulletproof. Besides that and some early software issues with the e-gear the G appears to be a very reliable car. It will be my next vehicle.

I would never consider to buy an exotic American muscle cars. I somehow don't have the desire of owning it...

11saleen_s7_03-med.jpg

There is a guy in my 'hood that has one and a black NSX making 450rwhp with turbos on pump for his daily beater. He also has 2 Ferraris and to top it off....... he bought his house to make sure that the driveway is slammed-car friendly..........

What does he do, if you don't mind I am asking?

What does he do, if you don't mind I am asking?

He owns a few businesses. One of which I think is a clothing company.

The dude has enough free time to work out and have a physique and matching wallet.

He's pulled up the to Santana Row exotic car meets a few times last year with his teenage sons following him in the beater NSX and ferrari.

VW and Porsche have the same parent company too. Fiat and Ferrari, etc. Not sure there are too many parallels. My assumption would be Lambo owners don't expect reliability, don't mind $20-$30,000 tunesups. Audi supercar owners, I would assume, expect reliability and to be able to put miles on the car.

Definitally something I would research...
I have been doing research on Gallardo's and havent read anything about 20-30k tuneups.

The clutch seems to be the main thing to worry about costing about $5k or so with labor.Some cars have been going on the same clutch for a while though.Guess it depends on whether you get a car that was driven by a noob that thought he knew how to drive stick.

Early model e-gears seem to have wayy more problems.The 6 speeds clutch last way longer too.Plus real enthusiasts dont use auto shifting. :tongue:

With average miles your only spending $400 for oil change at the dealership once a year.

Oh and if you buy a Lambo buy it from a Lambo dealership.They can plug right into it like a normal code reading session BUT they can also tell you how many times car has been started.How many times they TRIED to start it and it failed.How many times car has been red lined,etc.

I hope this helps your decision.As you can see I plan on getting a Gallardo too.I suggest 06+ Gallardo 6 speed.You get clear engine cover,hydraulic front end to avoid bumps,back up cam,etc.

With average miles your only spending $400 for oil change at the dealership once a year.

Oh and if you buy a Lambo buy it from a Lambo dealership.They can plug right into it like a normal code reading session BUT they can also tell you how many times car has been started.How many times they TRIED to start it and it failed.How many times car has been red lined,etc.

This is what I need to know. The oil change you can do it yourself too for cheaper. This is what I also got- it is not a lot of maintenance vs. F-car. Oil change and the clutch that's about it for maintenance. Thanks for the information.

Last edited:
Early model e-gears seem to have wayy more problems.The 6 speeds clutch last way longer too.Plus real enthusiasts dont use auto shifting. :tongue:

This is a debatable E-gear vs. manual. Some guys like manual others like E-gear, but more and more the manual will become fossils.

I personally dont like the styling of the R-8..even with the new V-10 out it will be priced beyond what you can get a good used Gallardo..but each to their own.
If you are tall..a Gallardo may not be a good fit, the legroom is not what the NSX is. Headroom is ok (unlike the Ford GT) which my head hits. I personally like the e gear, and have put 12000 miles on mine in the last year with no e gear problems. The same mfr for Ferrari/Maser etc makes the Lamborghini e gear hardware, the software is different. I had a leaking a/c hose and a front crank seal that leaked, are the only problems ive had except for maint...dont be afraid of the 04s with higher prod numbers...the early production numbers seem to have more problems, and the 04 is the lightest (except for the SL) as no lift to worry about. If you have any more questions drop me a PM..

I'm glad to see this did not degenerate into the usual performance argument over a 1/10th here, and a cylinder there.

For me, when I shop for a car like these, it will be a purely emotional decision. They will both cost a lot of money. Yes the R8 will have a warranty and maintenance will be included....BUT - which car will make you feel more special when you drive it?

When you look at the logo on the steering wheel, which will give you a bigger smile, when you see it parked from a distance which will make you look back when you walk away from it? Will you take pride in the unusual nature of the R8 and like explaining to non-enthusiasts what it is, or would you enjoy the name Lamborghini explaining everything for you?

I love both. I'd drive both. But I already know which I'd buy.

I'm glad to see this did not degenerate into the usual performance argument over a 1/10th here, and a cylinder there.

For me, when I shop for a car like these, it will be a purely emotional decision. They will both cost a lot of money. Yes the R8 will have a warranty and maintenance will be included....BUT - which car will make you feel more special when you drive it?

When you look at the logo on the steering wheel, which will give you a bigger smile, when you see it parked from a distance which will make you look back when you walk away from it? Will you take pride in the unusual nature of the R8 and like explaining to non-enthusiasts what it is, or would you enjoy the name Lamborghini explaining everything for you?

Spot on.

This is exactly the point of any car costing more than 100k. It should elicit in you an emotional response, and really you should drive both if you're gonna know what that response is. Its hard to put into words, but you know it if you've felt it.

For my money I'd take the F-car and never look back, yet I can offer absolutely no explanation or reasoning behind it.

As others have stated, go do a test drive. Yes, you will be able to drive all of these cars if the seller thinks you have the means. Bringing the NSX, it should make a good impression. Some of these posts have exaggerated the cost to maintain/service/repair Lambos and Ferraris. Yes, they are expensive though. There is a lot of emotions in these cars. I have driven most of the cars talked about in this thread and have not owned any of them. Here are my thoughts,

R8 Very refined and comfortable. It is probably the one that is most like the NSX. It comes with warranty and is probably the second cheapest to maintain and repair. To me, it is not that attractive. It also is low on power. I have heard it is great on the track.

Gallardo It is a beauty. I drove an '04 egear. I thought the egear was on the clunky side. The front of car struggles to make it in or out of a driveways without scraping, fixed with a hydraulic lift in 06. I have heard that the '04/05 aren't real dependable.

Fort GT Incredible power and torque. The interior is the least attractive. Not a lot of head room. The top of the door goes into the roof over a foot. This causes a big problem in getting in and out of the car. The door needs to be almost open all of the way to get out of the car. I don't think you could get in or out of the car in a parking lot with cars on both sides of you. Probably the cheapest and easiest to maintain and repair. I had the pleasure of a 20 minute ride on a track with one of these, wow. Did I mention the incredible power and torque.

Ferrari F430 To me it is incredible in all areas except the repair and maintenance costs. Very nice looking, powerful with a great sound.

All of these cars are in the 90k - 135k range. The older Gallardos are the cheapest then the R8s.

I have considered pulling the trigger on one these. Believe it or not my wife is pushing me to buy immediately. Her favorite is the F430 hands down.

Back