• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Garage Flooring Options??

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for garage flooring options? I'm specifically interested in the epoxy flooring do it your self vs professionally done epoxy flooring. I don't want to DIY and have my garage look like it was done by someone who didn't what they were doing.

I did my own garage floor about 6 or 8 years ago....I used epoxy from Home Depot...the key is PREPARATION of the cement floor...if your lucky enough to have a fresh slab, new garage, etc its very easy...if you have an existing garage its alot harder to get it to look "prefect". You really have to use that acid stripping stuff and be extremely diligent in the cleaning and prepping of the floor before painting it...it's really not that bad tho once you get going...like any good paint job, its a slow process and preparation, cleaning, degreasing, is the key...the only thing I should have done but didn't...is get those sprinkles in the paint....with those...ANY slight imperfection will be covered and actually looks good...

The problems I saw were...if you get too much paint, too thick of a layer it will bubble up some once your done....other then that it seals amazingly well and makes cleanup a breeze!!!!!

PS...my theory however is that it's a "garage floor" I park on it, do work in the garage, drop stuff, so it's gonna get dirty...if your into the spotless, showroom type garage floor that only looks as tho it's a display area...not sure doing it yourself will make ya happy I could never have a garage floor that perfect lol myself...it would freak me out

I had mine done before I moved in. I love it! I used Premier Garage. It's not epoxy. I was told to treat it like cement. No worries about yellowing or the heat of the tires making it lift. It's a tad slippery when wet, though.

I paid $2390 for a three car garage. That included removing the old cabinets that were attached to the walls and stripping the old blue paint on the floor left by the previous owner.

I don't know if there are installers in your area. PremierGarage.com

IMG_2932Hondarears.jpg

Last edited:
I just recently went through the same issue for my car barn and looked at all the options out there. My problem was that the cement floor was sealed after it was poured (a little more than a year ago), so that meant that I was going to have to etch it first so that any of the epoxies or garage floor paints, etc. would stick properly... too much work!! And, the various tiles options were too much $$ IMO.

So, I took the easy way out and ordered 6 of these:

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=111890

Simple to install (or remove), choice of colors, not slippery, looks pretty good, and relatively cheap!

-Wick

I'm faced with the same situation, new garage, 1400sq.ft., trying to decide how to protect the floor. Stains, epoxy, mats all under consideration. I've read some people complain about epoxy and others love it. Is there that much difference between epoxy products or are the results more due to differences in preparation?

How about the Sam's Club mat mentioned above. Anybody use it for an extended period. It sounds like it doesn't contain water very well and I do have to contend with dragging snow into the garage.

Eric

My last garage I prepared the floor per the directions applied the epoxy, waited twice as long as recommended and then pulled the car in weeks later. The paint rolled right up around the tire. No joke.

Those mats from sams club how have they worked out for you? How are they if you pull a snow covered car in?

I think I am either going with the spray on finish I posted the link to OR I am going to put down VCT like I did at my last house.

Seems like many of us are on the same boat here. I want new flooring in the garage but i'm looking for something that can withstand the weight of the car on a jack or jackstands. That's several hundred pounds per square inch. I can't imagine any material (tile, mat, epoxy) can hold up to that much abuse? I hope someone can prove me wrong.

I'm also faced with 60+ year old sealed concrete. That floor is so old it looks like stone. The Sam's Club solution sounds promising but i'm worried about mildew and mold growing underneath.

Steveny,
http://cgi.ebay.com/Spray-Instant-Cu...d=p3286.c0.m14
That looks like the same stuff on my truck bed liner, interesting. If it is like the spray on liners it should hold up pretty well.

I have a 1700sq ft garage and after we finished building and waiting about two months, I coated the concrete with an expoxy from Lowes (rustolem), I'm pretty happy with it, everything cleans really easy. Its been about 4 years and still looks great.

Paul

I had my floor done professionally, and you can tell the difference for sure. The paint on epoxy does not have the depth of color characteristics as the professionally applied floors with the clear coats. Plus, the paint on do it yourself jobs will usually peel or chip after a while (usually in the spot where the hot tires sit once you park the car), and they require significant surface preparation and ambient temperatures to cure that may come into play depending on what time of the year you have it done.

My floor was done professionally, and is the same flooring that the local Toyota dealer had installed in their new building. The installers prepped then diamond cut the surface, filled in all gaps, applied the base color, then the silica sand to add color and texture for grip, and then two coats of clear coat. It took 8 days to do in the winter, but it looks perfect!! See for youself. Even friends that have done the paint on floors say that mine looks head and shoulders above theirs. My way of thinking is either do it right the first time, or do not do it at all. This is something that can help your home value when it comes time to sell.

Phantom_new_garage_floor_4-6-09.jpg

Phantom_new_garage_floor.jpg

Last edited:
Everyone keeps mentioning epoxy.. but nothing about tile? I personally my floor, any spill cleans up EASY without any stains.

NSX-Garage.jpg

I wouldnt go with the epoxy if your garage has alot of imperfections if its pretty new and smooth go for it.

I'm faced with the same situation, new garage, 1400sq.ft., trying to decide how to protect the floor. Stains, epoxy, mats all under consideration. I've read some people complain about epoxy and others love it. Is there that much difference between epoxy products or are the results more due to differences in preparation?

How about the Sam's Club mat mentioned above. Anybody use it for an extended period. It sounds like it doesn't contain water very well and I do have to contend with dragging snow into the garage.

Eric

The groove in the Sam's club mats are not very deep... so, I doubt they'll hold a lot of water. But, any surface is just going to have mealting snow or water sit there until you wipe it up or it evaporates!! I was more interested in keeping car fluids, etc., off the concrete, eliminating any slipping, and a better look (than concrete)... it does all those things. I've also jack the car up on it with no problems. I also have the barn heated for winter and a dehumidifier for summer... so, no mold, etc.

In my situation I don't plan to pull any car in that has snow, or for that matter, water (rain) on it, as my car barn is used to store a small collection, e.g., NSX, etc. and, in the winter all are in hibernation :smile:
So, this under a $1000 solution works for me in my 1400 sq ft.

-Wick

I had mine done before I moved in. I love it! I used Premier Garage. It's not epoxy. I was told to treat it like cement. No worries about yellowing or the heat of the tires making it lift. It's a tad slippery when wet, though.

I paid $2390 for a three car garage. That included removing the old cabinets that were attached to the walls and stripping the old blue paint on the floor left by the previous owner.

I don't know if there are installers in your area. PremierGarage.com

Kyras,

How long have you had the Premier flooring? My neighbor had it done from Premier Garage two years ago and it is starting to lift where the tires are.

I went with the charcoal garage tiles from Costco. It's made by SnapLock Industries (Parent company of RaceDeck Garage Floors).

Sorry, my garage floor was a little dirty when I took the pic.

Garage.jpg

I went with the charcoal garage tiles from Costco. It's made by SnapLock Industries (Parent company of RaceDeck Garage Floors).

Garage.jpg

so these simply lay on top of the slab, right?
what was the total approx cost and garage size?
thx

I used GarageTrac tiles from bigfloors.com

http://www.bigfloors.com/GarageTrac-P26C1.aspx

20'x22' with edging for the front edge came out to about $900 and free shipping too.

They have a cool floor design tool where you can see what it will look like with one or multiple colors, and it also calculates exactly how many tiles you'll need of each color for your design, based on your dimensions.

Everyone keeps mentioning epoxy.. but nothing about tile? I personally my floor, any spill cleans up EASY without any stains.

http://www.sc-customs.com/storage/Garage/NSX-Garage.jpg

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/data/500/Garage.jpg

so these simply lay on top of the slab, right?
what was the total approx cost and garage size?
thx

Yes. Snaplock is the exact thing I posted earlier. They "Snap" and "lock" into place. You can design a floor in whatever pattern and colors you want and get estimates on their website.

I did my 20x20 for about $1500 or so. The tiles are around $2.50 each and cover a 1x1 area.

Back