• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gas for weekend (or less) drivers

Anyone have recommendations for my NSX gas purchasing? My problem is twofold: 1)I work WAY too much 2)crappy Chicago weather. I have driven 100 miles this year, and most of it was on one day. The gas guage is still half full, and it was filled last October.. :( I did have the common sense to use Stabil when I filled it last year before storage.)

My question is, should I use Stabil with EACH fill (and then drive it for weeks-months), or should I just put in a couple of fresh gallons each time I get to use it? (and not use Stabil at all)

(The only good thing about my driving is that I only have 18,000 miles on my '95 NSX-T so it still looks and drives like new :D )

Thanks for any and all help.

Dave

I'm also a weekend warrior (only on the track, but with a bit more miles than you) but I never used any additive at all. What should it prevent? Isn't the tank made of aluminium and cannot rust? Would the gas alter and loose quality after some time? I never had any problems with it also after 5 months of rest.

If you still worry about corrosion you may fill the tank 100% before the car stands for a longer time and check the fuel filter from time to time.

NSX-Racer said:
[B Would the gas alter and loose quality after some time?

Yes it will - the gas will break down and turn into a varnish-like liquid. It will gum-up passage-ways. Stabil is the stuff to use for long term preservation of gasoline.
I have many old bikes that I neglected to stabalize the gas and spent much time draining the bad fuel, flushing the lines and cleaning the carbs.

The NSX like most modern cars has a semi-sealed fuel system so there is not much evaporation which is what causes varnish. A lot of NSX's get driven very little and there are no problems that I have heard of with varnish, water or corrosion. IMO just drive the car when you can and fill the tank when it gets low.

Don't forget about condensation. Depending upon climatic conditions it can be a significant factor, and is best minimized by keeping the tank full.

Richard
'93 Blk/Blk

Back