• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

gear box oil

Hi,
maybe sound stupid but today I get answer from Honda dealer here in Croatia,
they looked at their computer and they said:they don't have original oil for gearbox for NSX but acording to computer it is OK oil 10w40 motor oil for some normal cars.
Is this corect and what to put instead of original Honda gearbox oil?
Thanks

Last edited:
Do a search on transmission lubricant on this forum - lots of ideas. Do not use motor oil. If you can't get Honda (white cap) manual transmission oil then GM makes some good stuff. Happy reading.

As said before, the acura/ honda genuine Manual Transmission Fluid is the best choice for our cars. Since the fluid also has to lubricate the differential, only certain fluids contain the formulation needed to do so.

The only other fluid I have heard that works as well is the GM mix:

Two quarts of friction modified and one quart of GM syrcromesh.

I highly recommend that you try to find the Acura/Honda genuine fluid though.

If you are just changing the fluid you need 2.7 quarts total.
If you have rebuilt the tranny, you will need to fill it with 2.8 quarts.

Fresh fluid makes all the difference in the world when it comes to a smooth shifting transmission

Sandro, try to get MTF3 somewhere in Europe or in the US. Or I can get you some and send it to you. Is a little bit pricy for just 3 l though. Or wait until Erich is visiting you next summer and brings it to you. :)

Last edited:
people that say ONLY use Honda White cap is cuz they have not

tried the GM Friction Modified " cocktail "

After tring it I will never go back to the Whitecap.

DAY and NIGHT difference in the way the transmission feels

and I redline and hit triple digits everyday

Last edited:
? how do you check to see if you need oil and when
as of a week or so ago i noticed that when shifting its a bit hard
my 92 has 42000 on her and is not driven hard all the time

i dont kow if its the clutch but i never had a car thats clutch went this fast

any ideas

? how do you check to see if you need oil and when
as of a week or so ago i noticed that when shifting its a bit hard
my 92 has 42000 on her and is not driven hard all the time

i dont kow if its the clutch but i never had a car thats clutch went this fast

any ideas
As long as you don't have any oil down the gearbox and it has been filled correctly the last time there no need to check the level as it's a closed system.

Been using Redline MTL since I did the JDM gears and Comptech 4.55 R&P in 1997. (Comptech specified the Redline MTL.) Still shifts like a dream.

I've been using Mobil 1 10w-40 since replacing my snap ring about 40,000 miles ago. Shifts smoothly and it is what the service manual specifies. Honda and GM Manual fluids probably work better, but for everyday purposes, the Oil will work fine. My 2 cents.

Miner

However you should still try to run the honda/ acura white cap or gm mix as regular motor oil does not contain the ingredients to properly lube the gears/selectors/diff.

Last edited:
However you should still try to run the honda/ acura white cap or gm mix as regular motor oil does not contain the ingredients to properly lube the diff.

I wasn't aware that the later service manual changed the recommended fill.

This IS correct, save for the reference to the GM mix, and was changed with the 1997 up service manual.

pg 13-3
" Always use Genuine Honda Manual Transmission Fluid
(MTF). Using motor oil can cause stiffer shifting because
it does not contain the proper additives."

I have both GM oils in stock but my trans. shifts and feels fine and see no reason to fool around with fluid used in Chevy's when what I have, Honda MTF3, is doing fine and is the recommended fill.

Last edited:
I guess that fluid technology has advanced since the early nineties.

My recommendations come from 20 years nsx master tech advice.

Last edited:
I guess the full answer to this thread is yes you can run the motor oil and be perfectly fine.

However it will most likely not provide shifting as smooth as a transmission specific fluid.

I guess that fluid technology has advanced since the early nineties.

My recommendations come from 20 years nsx master tech advice.

Master NSX techs don't walk on water. I know one that can't swim very well but I am sure or at least hope he's the exception.

If someone who has a shifting problem and it is not resolved by fresh MTF3 perhaps there is another underlying problem. To this, perhaps that GM cocktail will work but is it a fix?

You have to understand I have listened to a lot of claims when it comes to cars and quick fixes overs the years and tend to be skeptical. I can't just go by hearsay because I have to take responsibility and guarantee my work.

Back in the late 50's-60's it was sawdust mixed in the a/t tranny fluid or differential for better shifts on failing components.
I don't know if it was pine, or oak, or maple..... :smile:

Master NSX techs don't walk on water. I know one that can't swim very well but I am sure or at least hope he's the exception.

:D lol

Seriously though, your NSX (at least the 91-94 cars) uses a wet-clutch type limited slip differential. This means trans fluid is circulated throughout the differential, including between the clutch plates. Honda set a specific friction point for optimum performance in that diff using Honda fluid. Using any fluid other than what Honda says to use may result in poor differential performance either by the plates slipping too much or not enough due to the different friction modifiers in aftermarket fluid. Often, the friction modifiers they use to improve shift and synchro performance can have bad effects on the differential. Worst case, your diff wears out. I am not one to say always use factory, but in this case it is the right call.

This discussion reminds me of an owner with his 92 and still original filling gearbox oil at 100k miles. No wonder that his diff was creaking (really bad sound). We filled in MTF and the noise has gone instantly. :wink:

Lesson 2: If you use thinner oil in the gearbox than specified your synchros will go bad, not in the next 10k miles maybe but surely within your next 100k miles. Ergo: use what Honda designed. Remember? The engineers went to college.

pbassjo said:
If someone who has a shifting problem and it is not resolved by fresh MTF3 perhaps there is another underlying problem. To this, perhaps that GM cocktail will work but is it a fix?
Yes and I'd like to add that it will be a short fix with which takes taking the tranny apart after some miles into account. But ok, it may helps you out before you sell the car and aviod a high bill. :D

I like these oil threads with all their opinions with a happy end of finally beating the dead horse to hell and going completely south. :)

Last edited:
yeah but back then they suggested in the owners manual to use Motor oil

as MTF had not been invented yet.

with technology advancements in this field the old owners manual should be thrown out.

I was having shifting issues with Honda whitecap and said what the hell do i have to loss by tring the Cocktail so I went for it and tried the coctail
it made such a difference in the way my NSX shifts I will never go back and will one day switch all of my cars to this cocktail.

yeah but back then they suggested in the owners manual to use Motor oil

as MTF had not been invented yet.
Honda engineers are human beings too, they are allowed to change their mind. I'll give you $100 if the Honda engineers cancel MTF AND recommends the GM stuff only in the future. :wink:

I can't believe the manufacturer would recommend motor oil for a tranny/diff combo. Differentials use hypoid gear designs which have extreme sliding contact forces. Hypoids need an EP addative (zinc, sulfur, etc.) for long life. Of course, bronze syncros are not happy with high sulfur addatives but new formulations have solved that problem.

In the world of gears, nothing is more highly stressed than a performance differential. There are many modern oils that can be used.

In my 06 MX-5, the Ford synthetic manual transmission oil was the magic bullet for balky cold 2nd shifts. Interesting, however, was that it took about 5000 miles for the 'cure' to take place.

The 96 Z-28 six speed was a little clunky and many oils were tried. Some ruined their trannys due to incompatability of the oil and an organic binder on the sycros. Redline was not the answer here.

As always, try to know enough about the tranny design and talk with an oil company applications engineer for the best results.

As always, try to know enough about the tranny design and talk with an oil company applications engineer for the best results.

Wanted :

One oil company applications engineer to give advice to the OP in Croatia.

Any step by step guide on how to change the fluid your self? Any filters in there need cleaning/replaceing?

Have you considered reading the wiki?

Or using the search? Think maybe in 21 years people have changed plenty of trans oil by now?

Any step by step guide on how to change the fluid your self? Any filters in there need cleaning/replaceing?

Been using Redline MTL since I did the JDM gears and Comptech 4.55 R&P in 1997. (Comptech specified the Redline MTL.) Still shifts like a dream.

+1. Been using MTL for 20 yrs, and 70k mi, and the stock tranny still is smooth as silk.

Spyder

Back